Anyone had a good meal at a restaurant lately?

Started by Rome, March 08, 2006, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on June 04, 2012, 11:27:04 AM
I also just noticed the hinged grate - do you smoke anything in your Weber? I make smoked ribs and chicken in my kettle all the time.

i have not tried to smoke anything....i dont eat bbq sauce and anything smoked would generally be bbq i think...so its really not my thing....but the hinged grates are awesome for long cookouts
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PhillyPhanInDC

Smoked doesn't equal BBQ sauce. I like my ribs dry, and I make all kinds of stuff out of the smoked chicken, including some ridiculous chicken salad. I generally use Apple, Pecan, or Hickory wood. I also smoked a turkey for this past Thanksgiving.

You soak the UNTREATED wood plank in water for a few hours (over night is best. It will char, but not catch fire. You can buy planks at HomeDepot on the cheap (be sure they are natural, untreated boards), or you can buy ready made food planks on the internet and at Target, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Cedar-Grill-Plank-Set-6/dp/B000QXLN1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338826852&sr=8-1
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Salmon cooked on Cedar smoked planks is ridiculous. I ate at a restaurant in the city [name escapes me at this moment] who used Cedar smoked planks. Unreal.

PhillyPhanInDC

Truth. What's great is it's unbelievably easy to do yourself too. Grilling a steak is harder.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

lol....I wonder how many people use treated wood for smoking. 

I mean, at least a thousand people a year, right? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

I like to put some water seal on my planks in case it rains while I'm grilling.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on June 04, 2012, 09:35:46 PM
lol....I wonder how many people use treated wood for smoking. 

I mean, at least a thousand people a year, right?

I bet the wood/stain is called Nature's Selection

Seabiscuit36

lol.  So i'm in process of getting a new grill.  I've somehow managed to keep my charbroil alive for 7 years, but its reached the point where it's more or less cooking over open flames.  I'm definitely going Weber.  I've been looking at the Weber Performer Charcoal Series with Gas Ignition, but for that price I'll more than likely just dig a pit and line it with bricks. 

My dad has a Weber Platinum Series monster grill that I'm hoping to do a swap of a new Weber Genesis with. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD

We got a freebie Weber charcoal grill and it kicks ass.

Rome

Ive had mine for a decade and it really does a great job.  Weber sells a contraption that enables you to cook roasts and turkeys that is really excellent.  Just pile the charcoal around front side and back and let it go.  A couple hours later, boom, instant charred meatgasms.

ice grillin you

webers are awesome but if i had one complaint it would be that they rust too much...why cant they spray the legs with something that will prevent rust
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I'm pretty sure the base on mine is aluminum because there's no rust on it at all even now.

The handle screws gave out a while back but that was easy to fix.

I wish they made nonstick surface grill plates for the charcoal model and maybe they do but I never see them in Hone Depot or Lowes.

SunMo

i have a weber gas grill and i will probably be ready for something next summer and i want charcoal because it's the better flavor but i've never used a charcoal grill before, i've always had gas and i'm not even sure i know what to do.  another negative is that so many times i quick pop the grill on to do chicken or steaks or something and i'm done in 30 minutes.  with charcoal doesn't it take longer before you can cook?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

My buddy has this: http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/performer-series/performer-2 

the gas ignition speeds up the time it takes to get the coals up to speed.  Roughly 10 minutes and you're up and running.  Cleanup is easy since the coals are contained right in the bottom which pops out of place.  They run about 250, so it isnt cheap, but its one of the best out there, if not the easiest.