Rest Of Baseball - 2017

Started by PhillyPhreak54, February 08, 2017, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

I want to watch when Dusty choke slams Rizzo for putting together this tinderbox of a bullpen.

MDS

they have a 9.5 game lead in the nl east
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

You aren't this dumb

The division is locked up. They gonna take this bullpen into the playoffs? They don't just need a closer either. A total remake.

MDS

yea and im sure theyll fix it...the playoffs dont start tomorrow

mock all you want in october if they lose
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Oh I will.

I watch Dusty and hear some of his pressers where he's begging for help.

Rizzo is so far up Boras' ass so I wonder which of his clients will be steered to them at the deadline

PhillyPhreak54

Cody Bellinger is something else.

GM mds would still have him down in Rancho Cucumunga

MDS

the could buy melancon right now from the giants but he sucks. robertson is a perfect fit for them and the sox know that...nats NEED him more than they need the prospects back. neshak could be a fit for them but hes a middle reliever. madson and casilla could go from the a's. addison reed from the mets.

theres no lights out chapman or andrew miller type of player.

PhillyPhreak54

I agree.

They're in a bad spot because they're gonna be held hostage. I don't know enough about their minors but are they stacked?

PhillyPhreak54

Lol

SNY analyst Keith Hernandez was caught in an unfortunate spot tonight when the broadcast came back from commercial early and caught him unaware right as he was discussing how Washington Nationals starter Tanner Roark has been "getting his tits lit" lately.

Roark was knocked out in the third inning tonight after giving up six runs, after giving up seven runs in five innings last week. It is not immediately clear if such numbers meet the standard for getting one's lit, as such a standard could not be identified at the time of this writing.

PhillyPhreak54

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/06/20/standstill-pace-play-cody-bellinger-clayton-kershaw

A good but frustrating read on the pace of play and reasons behind it being like molasses. Frustrating because it illustrates how the game is dying.

I'll await lil guy to drop his hot takes on being an old guy but the facts are baseball is not what it was. Situational hitting is all but gone. The pitch counts which I hate suck - 466 times in 2000 a pitcher went for 120+ pitches. No one steal bases or bunts or throws to the right bases.

PhillyPhreak54

Sounds like the Braves are going to try Freeman at 3B

Interesting

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 21, 2017, 09:42:34 PM
I'll await lil guy to drop his hot takes on being an old guy

oh hi

but the facts are baseball is not what it was.

aaaaaaand we're off. you're right. what was the high point for baseball? 1930 when nobody but white people could play? 1980 when everyone was doing coke? the 90's when everyone was on steroids?

Situational hitting is all but gone.

what? do you mean hitting a ball to the right side when theres a runner at 2nd at 0 outs? or something? sac flys? i see no evidence that those things are occurring a less common rate than before.

The pitch counts which I hate suck - 466 times in 2000 a pitcher went for 120+ pitches.

this is an anti-vaxer like hot take. the anti vaxes know more about medicine than doctors and j knows more about arms than physicians. its all a big scam. youre right.

No one steal bases

no one! not dee gordon. not billy hamilton. not jean segura. no one! in 2016 the mlb team avg for SBs was 85. in 2006 it was 92. its a part of the game that is not quite as prevalent as it was once was, but its not extinct.

remember. pitchers throw harder than ever before. catchers are better and more athletic than ever before. baserunners are pretty much just as fast as theyve always been, though.

or bunts

good!

but quick math check. mlb team avg for bunts in 2000 was 54. 2016? 34. steep drop. but, like i said, good! the math doesnt lie.

or throws to the right bases.

huh?

anyway the game is not dying. mike trout, bryce harper, aaron judge and kris bryant are among the best players to come along in forever. attendance is up. local tv ratings are strong. baseball games are, in most markets, the highest rated summer program (i.e. more people watch royals games in KC than any other program in KC). are the national ratings bad? most of the time, yes.

but last i checked the tv contract they signed is massive. salaries are going up. teenagers with no experience are getting million dollar contracts. harper, trout and machado are going to sign for a combined 1 billion dollars. the game is not dying.

ice grillin you

i dont think theres really even such thing as pitch counts unless someone is coming off an injury

the prevailing factor in taking pitchers out is because there are more live arms now in the world and manager and general managers have figured out that its better to bring in a fresh wade davis and kelvin herrera than an 82 pitch jeremy guthrie

yesetrday scherzer tossed a million pitches because the nats have no bullpen (and dusty baker is a moron)

the problem with baseball is not that the sport has changed....in fact the game itself compared to other sports has been remarkable the same for 130 years but it has more competition now...it used to go against horse racing and boxing....then the superbowl started then magic and bird came then brandy chastain strip teased the nation...its been chipped away for decades by sports that people deem better to watch and dont underestimate this - easier to play

baseball is more like hockey now in that its a local sport....if you have a team its probably going to do great...however people in nebraska will watch the nfl or nba but they arent gonna give a shtein about baseball or hockey
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 22, 2017, 08:15:52 AM
baseball is more like hockey now in that its a local sport

pretty much

people care about their team. when they go out they stop caring. a good phillies team can take over the city but a bad team phillies team (oh, hello) and baseball might as well not exist.

the sport is the biggest crapshoot relevancy wise. cubs-yankees would beat the nfl, dbacks-blue jays could be played in siberia and nobody would notice.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on June 21, 2017, 11:11:15 PM
I'll await lil guy to drop his hot takes on being an old guy

oh hi

but the facts are baseball is not what it was.

aaaaaaand we're off. you're right. what was the high point for baseball? 1930 when nobody but white people could play? 1980 when everyone was doing coke? the 90's when everyone was on steroids?

Situational hitting is all but gone.

what? do you mean hitting a ball to the right side when theres a runner at 2nd at 0 outs? or something? sac flys? i see no evidence that those things are occurring a less common rate than before.

The pitch counts which I hate suck - 466 times in 2000 a pitcher went for 120+ pitches.

this is an anti-vaxer like hot take. the anti vaxes know more about medicine than doctors and j knows more about arms than physicians. its all a big scam. youre right.

No one steal bases

no one! not dee gordon. not billy hamilton. not jean segura. no one! in 2016 the mlb team avg for SBs was 85. in 2006 it was 92. its a part of the game that is not quite as prevalent as it was once was, but its not extinct.

remember. pitchers throw harder than ever before. catchers are better and more athletic than ever before. baserunners are pretty much just as fast as theyve always been, though.

or bunts

good!

but quick math check. mlb team avg for bunts in 2000 was 54. 2016? 34. steep drop. but, like i said, good! the math doesnt lie.

or throws to the right bases.

huh?

anyway the game is not dying. mike trout, bryce harper, aaron judge and kris bryant are among the best players to come along in forever. attendance is up. local tv ratings are strong. baseball games are, in most markets, the highest rated summer program (i.e. more people watch royals games in KC than any other program in KC). are the national ratings bad? most of the time, yes.

but last i checked the tv contract they signed is massive. salaries are going up. teenagers with no experience are getting million dollar contracts. harper, trout and machado are going to sign for a combined 1 billion dollars. the game is not dying.

I understand why you're like this - I mean, you didn't play and grew up in the SABR era where everything is all about spreadsheets.

Everything I said is valid. The bottom line is teams get a runner(s) on and wait for a home run. If you watch you'll see guys come up and try to rip a ball rather than just move a runner over. They swing from their heels and end up striking out (which is a yuge problem as the numbers are up) and stranding runners. Ok yeah of course there are a lot of harder throwers - which only goes back to what I am saying - just get the bat on the ball and play station to station rather than trying to launch a ball.

You named about the only three guys who steal bases. Congrats. My point still stands. Why have a guy try to steal when you're hoping for the next two/three guys jack a home run?

Half the dudes don't even know how to bunt - so when they have to get a bunt down - they look like fools.

And what does the coke fueled 80s or roid 90s have to do with the fact that baseball was played differently then? People played more fundamentally sound.