I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

Thanks FF, i work in the credit card business so i know how quick they are to pull that trigger.  The good thing is my wife handles the bills. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

You can usually talk them out of it, but my buddy got effed from Best Buy.

Thing was - he sent a check in plenty of time, but they never got it.  You know the drill.

Rome

I had a knock-down drag-out fight with Capital One over something like that.  I had made a payment via their online payment system and for some reason it never registered.  I got a letter from them stating that because I had three late payments over a year's time, (which was bullshtein) my interest rate was going from 7.9% to 19%.

I told them fine, then I wrote a check out for the balance and mailed it out with an envelope with a photocopy of me giving them the finger.

I canceled the card immediately after the check cleared.

farg them.  They need my business more than I need their card.

Seabiscuit36

When i started at the bank i had to deal with interest rates that were increased because of changes to cardholders Fico's and derogatory stuff in bureaus.  IT SUCKED. 

The best thing to do with these 0% offers is get an auto biller setup and keep electronic records of everything.  But yeah, they can and will try to eff ya. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 21, 2007, 02:38:39 PM
The best thing to do with these 0% offers is get an auto biller setup and keep electronic records of everything.  But yeah, they can and will try to eff ya. 

Well, the best thing is really to avoid them, but when you're faced with the expenses of furnishing a new house or refinishing your basement or the ilk, it's a pretty good deal.

Anyway, enjoy your farging TV.  Try not to mess up your drawers the first time you watch it in HD.

Seabiscuit36

Im going to wait 3 weeks or so, we are finishing the basement.  This is our second HDTV, the first being a sony sxrd 50inch.  We've had major problems with the Sony though, Im having the repair guy out for the second time to deal with the Sony and its Optical block issues. 

phattymatty

so i'm looking to get a 37"-42" tv. 

any good suggestions for this size?  i started reading this thread but it's too much.  maybe i'll print it out and read it at home.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Looking for a flat panel, or some sort of tube/projection?

phattymatty

flat panel.  plasma or lcd i guess.  dude from best buy tried to explain the difference to me but it didn't really sink in.

tube/projection just means it's not as skinny?  my limit is probably around $1800 or so.

i know there are differences but the tube/projection ones just look like normal old school tvs right?

PoopyfaceMcGee

LCD flat panel would be the best available for that size.  Plasma would be a little cheaper.

I'd go with plasma definitely if you don't watch a ton of TV.  Otherwise, the burn-in will chap your ass in a few years.

phattymatty

i watch about 2 shows a week, and then sports or movies for the most part.  plus i just got a wii so i'm sure that will take up the little time i did spend watching tv.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: FFatPatt on February 14, 2007, 02:38:39 PM
Otherwise, the burn-in will chap your ass in a few years.

I've had my plasma for several years now, and it gets way more use than I'd like. Maybe 50-60 hours a week (and that's a conservative estimate). It still shows no problems.

SunMo

make sure you get a remote control, it's so much easier than changing the channel at the TV
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

We had a bunch of friends over to watch the Super Bowl and my one annoying buddy couldn't shut the farg up about how great the picture was on the set.

Anyway, I get a call from him a couple of days later and he asks me if I can come over and move some furniture for him.  I get there and sitting right in the corner of his living room is the exact same tv I got.

:-D

Also - I honestly think the new generation LCD picture is superior to the plasma.  I did a lot of looking before I bought my set and the guy at Best Buy even set them up next to each other for a comparison.  The LCD just looked better for some reason.

phattymatty

i've got opinions from about 4 or 5 real friend people, and then all you fake internet people, and almost everyone tells me LCD is the way to go.  why are plasmas more expensive then?