I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 14, 2006, 10:13:43 AM
Someone hasn't seen the Jessica Simpson commercial yet.

:-*

Actually, I had.  But it was relatively non-memorable and unexciting.  Oh well.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Quote from: FFatPatt on December 14, 2006, 11:07:00 AM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 14, 2006, 10:13:43 AM
Someone hasn't seen the Jessica Simpson commercial yet.

:-*

Actually, I had.  But it was relatively non-memorable and unexciting.  Oh well.

Jessica Simpson in hot pants = unexciting. [/homo]

DH

I just bought this guy last week...

Samsung HL-4266

42" HDTV DLP for a G at Best Buy. Regular picture is clear, and the HD is sweet.

Wingspan

Quote from: Die-Hard on December 14, 2006, 01:22:39 PM
I just bought this guy last week...

Samsung HL-4266

42" HDTV DLP for a G at Best Buy. Regular picture is clear, and the HD is sweet.

thats what i have. bought it in march of this year. great screen, really wide veiwing angles.

it's not great for games though. at least older generation games (PS2, xBox1, gamecube) because there is a delay in converting the images to 720p that makes some games worthless.

however i can confirm that the problem does not exist in the newer systems that output directly to progressive scan or higher.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Seabiscuit36

I have a Sony SXRD XBR1 50inch i got last november.  My tv is dying rignt now.  Apparently they have a problem with the optical block so my screen has a yellow blob on the left side of the screen and one just to the right of center.  Luckily i bought the extended warranty thru Tweeter and they are coming out to fix it next monday. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

LCD Projection is the way to go right now for bang for the buck.

You pay a ton extra to have the ability to hang your TV on the wall.

Wingspan

Quote from: FFatPatt on December 14, 2006, 01:48:17 PM

i dont really understand why people do this. it's kinda neat and everything, but in the end, it does a lot of damage to the wall. and if you ever move, or just rearrange the room, you run into all kinds of problems with either paint color, walpaper...etc...

it just doesnt seem worth it to me.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Seabiscuit36

The only problem with LCD is the crystals can have problems keeping up with fast paced sports such as hockey.  They have made drastic improvements to lcd's but its still an issue. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Wingspan on December 14, 2006, 01:51:34 PM
Quote from: FFatPatt on December 14, 2006, 01:48:17 PM

i dont really understand why people do this. it's kinda neat and everything, but in the end, it does a lot of damage to the wall. and if you ever move, or just rearrange the room, you run into all kinds of problems with either paint color, walpaper...etc...

I agree. When I saw how heavy my screen was going to be, I went out and got a nice little entertainment center with a swiveling top. It holds everything just fine, and I can turn the screen a few degrees (for more apparent viewing area, not for clarity) if I'm in the next room.

Wingspan

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on December 14, 2006, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: Wingspan on December 14, 2006, 01:51:34 PM

I agree. When I saw how heavy my screen was going to be, I went out and got a nice little entertainment center with a swiveling top. It holds everything just fine, and I can turn the screen a few degrees (for more apparent viewing area, not for clarity) if I'm in the next room.

the way my room is, the swivel thing is the best accessory to get. if it is just me and my wife watching tv, then there is one position, but if i have a group over, there is a 2nd obvious position that allows for the entire room to see almost perfectly. if it were wall mounted screen, half the people wouldnt be able to see as nicely. (granted i have a DLP set, so there is no wall mount)

my neighbors have a 52" plasma mounted to the wall, and he says he wish he didnt because with more than 6 people in the room, the rest have a hard time seeing without sitting on the floor in front of everyone else.
Connection Problems

Susquehanna Birder

Yep, the swivel adds a lot of versatility. My screen is a 50" plasma, and it's great even for a crowd in the one room. But that room is directly connected to the kitchen (so it's almost one hugely long room), and if we want to watch the screen while sitting at the kitchen table, swiveling the screen works nicely.

ice grillin you

the only acceptable room to have a tv wall mounted is the bedroom
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on December 14, 2006, 01:55:54 PM
The only problem with LCD is the crystals can have problems keeping up with fast paced sports such as hockey.  They have made drastic improvements to lcd's but its still an issue. 

The larger the LCD screen, the bigger the issue.  That's another reason why LCD Projection makes sense - because the actual LCD is quite small and just being projected onto a larger surface.

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 14, 2006, 02:15:09 PM
the only acceptable room to have a tv wall ceiling mounted is the bedroom

Yes.

Sgt PSN

Mounting your tv on a wall is great if it's in a small room or a room with an odd layout that might not provide a great deal of floor space.  I'd say it's ideal for small apartments or a condo or something.  If you have a big house then it's kind of unnecessary.  Obviously, if you're a person who rearranges the furniture every few months then mounting a tv on the wall probably isn't the smarted thing to do either.  I wouldn't be concerned about it if you plan on moving though.  A little spackle will cover the holes up real quick.  And chances are the people moving in after you will want to repaint anyway because I have never moved into a new place where I've been satisfied with the wall color so can only assume the same is true for people who move into a place one I leave.