I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: Cerevant on November 30, 2005, 02:59:23 PM
Quote from: Tomahawk on November 30, 2005, 02:31:12 PM
Ha Ha, nice job at quoting, bud.

Bit me.

What is it with every farging body this week?  Lotta farging hate going on...  I know the Eagles are losing, but JFC...

Just jokes - sorry to offend.

SunMo

link

I am going to buy this TV today.  It's in my budget and it's about the size I want.  Anybody have any opinoins on it?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

as long as you have a long or open room where you arent too close to the set, you'll be fine. standard rear projections are the ones with the least desirable veiwing angles.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Sun_Mo on December 07, 2005, 10:07:00 AM
link

I am going to buy this TV today.  It's in my budget and it's about the size I want.  Anybody have any opinoins on it?

Yes.  Good choice.

If you have the space for an HD-ready RPTV, it's the best way to get bang for the buck.  People are amazed at the picture quality of my 57" Toshiba.  Hitachi makes probably the best RPTV's around.  You will be happy with your purchase.

BTW, make sure you get the extended warranty for 3 years.  Before the 3 years are up, you can have your lamps replaced, and you'll be glad you did.  The TV can last you a very, very long time if maintained properly.

SunMo

Quote from: FFatPatt on December 07, 2005, 10:15:07 AM

BTW, make sure you get the extended warranty for 3 years.  Before the 3 years are up, you can have your lamps replaced, and you'll be glad you did.  The TV can last you a very, very long time if maintained properly.

really, because i was considering going the other way with it.  the way i figured it, it was either going to break down within the 1st standard 12 month warranty or it would go beyond the additional 2 years.

but will they do maintainence for under the warranty?  i thought it was only for actual repairs.

PoopyfaceMcGee

You can just claim the screen is burning out a little.  Easy.

Tomahawk

link

It's a nice TV, but doesn't have a HD tuner. I couldn't find what kind of/how many A/V inputs/outputs it has, but assume it has the S-video which is nice.

For the price, my opinion is good job, sucker.

SunMo

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 07, 2005, 11:56:43 AM
link

It's a nice TV, but doesn't have a HD tuner. I couldn't find what kind of/how many A/V inputs/outputs it has, but assume it has the S-video which is nice.

i don't need the tuner because i will be getting the HD signal from my cable box.

4 A/V inputs
3 S-video inputs
2 component inputs

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sun_Mo on December 07, 2005, 12:00:07 PM
link

i don't need the tuner because i will be getting the HD signal from my cable box.

4 A/V inputs
3 S-video inputs
2 component inputs

I get my HD signal from your mom's box.

Sounds like a quality purchase.

SunMo

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 07, 2005, 12:01:10 PM
Quote from: Sun_Mo on December 07, 2005, 12:00:07 PM
link

4 A/V inputs
3 S-video inputs
2 component inputs

I get my HD signal from your mom's box.

Sounds like a quality purchase.

NICE!!!

Sgt PSN

Good buy sun mo.  Follow Freddie's advice and purchase the additional warranty because like he said, you'll need to replace the bulbs and that's covered under the warranty.  The bulbs alone cost about the same amount as your warranty so you'll break even on it but be protected against any other malfunctions that may happen over the next few years. 

Mad-Lad

ok, this TV thing is driving me freakin nuts!  Last night, my girl and i went to Best Buy to take a look at the different TVs in action.  We were particularly interested in the Wega (going in) due to the reviews here on the board.  Anyways, we go in  and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.  Some of the sets looked kind of grainy, some were blurry, some were stretched out.  We called one of the guy's over to ask him why the hell this was the case.  His response, "that one has a tuner built in" and this blurry one is getting an HD signal but can't read it.  The Wega we looked at had an HD signal broadcasting, but was stretching it to fit in the window.  We walked out of there more confused, since the only real help we could get was "this one's on sale!".  Why wouldn't they try to format each set individually instead of letting you see crappy quality?

So we do some research online on Cnet.  The editor's top picks all had reviews saying "Great product, but i had to get it repaired within 2 months" or "45 days after buying the set, the picture and sound crapped out on me".  Why am i going to come close to a decision to invest cash in a tv with reviews like that?  Also, i read the black bars on widescreen formatted televisions will burn into the picture?  how true is that?

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Mad-Lad on December 08, 2005, 02:15:29 PMWhy wouldn't they try to format each set individually instead of letting you see crappy quality?

Because you were in Best Buy. They probably only have one or two sources, and they're more interesting in moving the metal (and plastic) than making sure everything looks perfect. That's no excuse, of course, and it's stupid...but that's mass marketing stores for you.

QuoteAlso, i read the black bars on widescreen formatted televisions will burn into the picture?  how true is that?

That's generally only true of plasma. Some other types will burn in, too, but plasma is more prone to it. The trick is to watch standard-def programming in "stretched" mode, so it takes up the whole screen. And it also helps to adjust the screen from the wow-it-looks-great-in-the-store-max-contrast-mode that's often the default. And sometimes you have the option to make those side bars something a little lighter than black, which mitigates the high-contrast burn quite a bit.

Mad-Lad

Thanks for the reply Sus.  I'm not sure how keen i'd be on watching stretched regular def. television, but at least now i know.

Susquehanna Birder

Depending on the set, the stretch isn't too bad. Actually, most have a variable stretch, where the centermost part of the screen isn't stretched as much as the outermost parts. Your brain does actually get used to looking at it, though, and it's not even something I think about any more when I switch between sets.