2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

has nothing to do with the gm...its the ownership...they will never win until they sell...and gillick is a great gm who has been just ok with the phillies...nothing more nothing less
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

The BIGSTUD

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 31, 2008, 05:17:50 PM
has nothing to do with the gm...its the ownership...they will never win until they sell...and gillick is a great gm who has been just ok with the phillies...nothing more nothing less

Absolutely right about the ownership. They will never win a World Series until this team gets new ownership. They only care about winning if it can be done under their budget and rules. If it can't they really don't give a shtein. They'll just ride out the season, make a ton of money and not blink.

I feel sorry for the people who spend tons of money and time to drive down there every night and have them every year never try to win.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Kendrick reaches 1st on a passed ball 3rd strike, then Rollins homers.

The Nationals are making these bums look really good.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteWASHINGTON (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies were among the teams trying to deal for Manny Ramirez on Thursday, but their bid to trade for the Boston Red Sox slugger fell short.
In fact, the Phillies didn't make a deal before the league's 4 p.m. EDT trade deadline.
Phillies general manager Pat Gillick said the team had a "good feeling" at one point about landing Ramirez, but the deal didn't come together.
"We were talking," Gillick said before the Phillies faced the Washington Nationals. "We were involved. We couldn't get where they wanted to be, and we couldn't get where we wanted to be."
The Red Sox traded the disgruntled Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a three-team trade. In return, Boston got Jason Bay from Pittsburgh. The Pirates received four young players in return.
Earlier Thursday, it seemed as if Ramirez was on his way to the Florida Marlins, but those talks broke down.
Gillick also said the Phillies were looking for a left-handed pitcher and even came close on a possible three-way deal involving a starting pitcher. Philadelphia actually reached an agreement with one club, according to Gillick, but that team couldn't connect with the other team involved.
"I'm not disappointed," manager Charlie Manuel said. "We'll take what we got and work with it. If something you like comes available and things like that, from here on out there's ways of maneuvering it to get somebody."

Yeah, ok. Hopefully they can get some help via the waiver trade market.

Geowhizzer

According to the local sports radio station, the Marlins wanted the Red Sox to pay Ramirez' salary PLUS an extra $2 million.  Apparently the Red Sox were willing to play the salary, but not the extra.

PhillyPhreak54

Eaton's line in his A-ball start tonight;

3.2 IP
5 H
4 ER
1 BB
2 K
1 HR

Bum.

PhillyPhreak54

Murphy's DN blog;

QuoteLots of stuff to get to. Before I get into some of the details of the trade deadline negotiations, I thought I'd point out one of the most intriguing and bewildering developments of the day. General manager Pat Gillick said the Phillies were pondering an "adjustment" that would get J.A. Happ out of the bullpen. When asked if that adjustment involved sending Happ to the minor leagues, Gillick said that the Phillies were examining another "alternative." I'll tell you this: it isn't Brett Myers going to the bullpen. Beyond that, I have nothing concrete.

Gillick didn't say it was a definite. But everything the Phillies have said - particularly Charlie Manuel, who reiterated today that he views Happ as a starter - seems to indicate that they want the young lefty to get another major league start.

Now, onto the other business. . .

Gillick said the Phillies thought they had a chance to add a starting pitcher through a three-way trade that eventually fell through. He also said the Phillies were involved in discussions for Manny Ramirez, but that the asking price was too high. Ramirez eventually landed with the Dodgers.

Other notes:

1) The market for lefty relievers was well beyond what the Phillies were willing to pay. For example, the Marlins gave up a 21-year-old pitcher who Baseball America rated as the No. 5 prospect in the organization to land 38-year-old Arthur Rhodes.

2) Interest in short stop Jason Donald was significant, but it would have taken the right player for the Phillies to part with him.

3) Gillick and Manuel both said they are not disappointed that they did not add another piece. The silver lining: the Mets and Marlins did not significantly upgrade either.

Though the Phillies spent much of the past two days actively trying to land a lefthanded reliever in order to bolster their playoff chances, Major League Baseball's trading deadline passed at 4 p.m. today without any announced moves.

The Phillies had considered a number of players, including Pittsburgh's John Grabow, Atlanta's Will Ohman, San Francisco's Jack Taschner and Kansas City's Ron Mahay, but were unable to strike a deal.

The Phillies still could add a player before the end of the season, but any players involved in a trade would have to pass through waivers before being dealt. It isn't out of the question -- the Phillies added Jamie Moyer in that manner two years ago -- but general manager Pat Gillick said yesterday the likelihood of a deal decreases significantly once today's deadline passes.

"There are guys that slip through, but there is just a larger pool of players to pick from prior to (the deadline)," Gillick said.

The Phillies added righthander Joe Blanton earlier this month, but were hopeful to add a lefty reliever to supplement J.C. Romero in the bullpen. They also were exploring a possible deal for a hitter that could help bolster an offense that has been inconsistent for most of the last two months.

Striking a deal beyond July 31 can be difficult because rival clubs can block a trade by claiming a player off of waivers and forcing his current club to withdraw the waiver request and keep him on the team.

So while the Phillies may not be done adding personnel, all the major parts are likely in place for the playoff run.

Anyone care to explain what that means about getting Happ a start?

6-man rotation?

SD_Eagle5

Maybe Blanton to the bullpen

Kendrick has struggled recently (before tonight) so maybe as his replacement

Munson

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 31, 2008, 11:53:15 PM

Kendrick took the L in his last outing after only allowing 1 run. And the Phillies are 15-7 with him as the starter..

Hamels/Moyer/Kendrick have been fine.
I have no idea what they're thinking now.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 31, 2008, 11:53:15 PM

There's no way they could move Blanton. Imagine the outrage of trading for a guy to eat innings and be a solid starter and giving up prospects only to move him after a couple starts to be a long man.

I doubt it would be Kendrick either.

This team makes me want to smash my head in.

ice grillin you

Quote from: King Cole on July 31, 2008, 07:51:16 PM
I feel sorry for the people who spend tons of money and time to drive down there every night and have them every year never try to win.

what about people who spend lots of money and drive there from merryland
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

nationals park blows

and ryan langerhans is a fag
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

LBIggle

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 31, 2008, 09:32:02 PM
QuoteWASHINGTON (AP) — The Philadelphia Phillies were among the teams trying to deal for Manny Ramirez on Thursday, but their bid to trade for the Boston Red Sox slugger fell short.
In fact, the Phillies didn't make a deal before the league's 4 p.m. EDT trade deadline.
Phillies general manager Pat Gillick said the team had a "good feeling" at one point about landing Ramirez, but the deal didn't come together.
"We were talking," Gillick said before the Phillies faced the Washington Nationals. "We were involved. We couldn't get where they wanted to be, and we couldn't get where we wanted to be."
The Red Sox traded the disgruntled Ramirez to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a three-team trade. In return, Boston got Jason Bay from Pittsburgh. The Pirates received four young players in return.
Earlier Thursday, it seemed as if Ramirez was on his way to the Florida Marlins, but those talks broke down.
Gillick also said the Phillies were looking for a left-handed pitcher and even came close on a possible three-way deal involving a starting pitcher. Philadelphia actually reached an agreement with one club, according to Gillick, but that team couldn't connect with the other team involved.
"I'm not disappointed," manager Charlie Manuel said. "We'll take what we got and work with it. If something you like comes available and things like that, from here on out there's ways of maneuvering it to get somebody."

Yeah, ok. Hopefully they can get some help via the waiver trade market.

leave, and retire. thanks for nothing, ass. 

Rome

LOL at Washington.  It looked like there was about 10,000 Phillies fans in attendance last night, especially behind home plate.  Every time the Phillies got a big hit a bunch of Phillies fans would stand up and cheer.

Nice sweep of the Nats, but really, they're horrendous and they should be swept.  Anything less would have been unacceptable.