Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

they had a free pass until they let cliff lee go in what could be the worst player transaction in the history of the city...once that happened they pretty much opened themselves up to any and all criticism again

even without that it would be a damn shame for this foundation of players to only win one ring....if you are a 130 year old franchise and you have three players on the team at the same time who are the best ever at their position you really should win a couple titles
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

Interesting factoid of the day: Jamie Moyer was five when the Phillies franchise was founded 130 years ago.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 02:51:09 PM
they had a free pass until they let cliff lee go in what could be the worst player transaction in the history of the city...once that happened they pretty much opened themselves up to any and all criticism again

even without that it would be a damn shame for this foundation of players to only win one ring....if you are a 130 year old franchise and you have three players on the team at the same time who are the best ever at their position you really should win a couple titles

How many titles would shut you up?

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 02:51:09 PM

and they are well on their way to making a 3rd world series

if and when they get there, if and when they should lose, then the bitching can start

but right now its may. cliff lee is in seattle and not coming back. it was a horrible trade but its been rehashed 1000 times over. you have to be the only one still bitter about this. if its going to ruin your enjoyment of this season you are more shallow and petty than i originally thought.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i was content with one...until they pissed away a second by letting lee go...now they have to win two with these guys or they fail in a massive way

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 02:58:51 PM
i was content with one...until they pissed away a second by letting lee go...now they have to win two with these guys or they fail in a massive way

They pissed Lee away but replaced him with Roy Halladay. Hate the Lee trade all you want, but let's not act like they didn't replace him.

LBIggle

yup.  the front office looks at cole hamels as their very own homegrown version of cliff lee.  as fans we should expect nothing less.  cole hamels himself expects nothing less.  as big a bitch as he at least he goes out there and expects a certain performance.  this team right now is obviously the most successful in its history, but just because they won 1 title doesn't mean you shouldn't hope for a second while they still have the core to do so.  they aren't untouchable in terms of critiquing their play or personal decisions.  i'm pretty sure its the reason for the existence of this board.  that and complaining about sports talk and wishing aids infested horrible deaths on people.

rjs246

And talking about TV ratings and The Wire. Can't forget those...
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

haha ok

i almost dont want them to win because you clearly do not deserve a title and a parade. you are to the phillies what joe banner is to the eagles.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on May 17, 2010, 02:59:57 PM

They pissed Lee away but replaced him with Roy Halladay. Hate the Lee trade all you want, but let's not act like they didn't replace him.

there is not a single semi legitimate argument as to why they dont have both of them for this season...its just mind boggling how close they were to being a ridiculous team this year heavy favorites to WIN the world series

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 03:03:45 PM

there is not a single semi legitimate argument as to why they dont have both of them for this season...its just mind boggling how close they were to being a ridiculous team this year heavy favorites to WIN the world series

I agree, but they're still a heavy favorite to win the world series. If they had stood pat this offseason going in with just Lee and not making a move for Halladay you wouldn't have said a word.

MDS

Quote from: LBIggle on May 17, 2010, 03:00:12 PM
yup.  the front office looks at cole hamels as their very own homegrown version of cliff lee.  as fans we should expect nothing less.  cole hamels himself expects nothing less.  as big a bitch as he at least he goes out there and expects a certain performance.  this team right now is obviously the most successful in its history, but just because they won 1 title doesn't mean you shouldn't hope for a second while they still have the core to do so.  they aren't untouchable in terms of critiquing their play or personal decisions.  i'm pretty sure its the reason for the existence of this board.  that and complaining about sports talk and wishing aids infested horrible deaths on people.

its so much the complaining

its the excess of it, and its the freaking out over jayson werth striking out in 1 situation or joe blanton giving up 3 runs in the 6th. the day to day, inning to inning whiny panic button show is the problem.

we should all be confident enough in this team that they are going to win the nl east. its a forgone conclusion if there ever was one. is the righting the bullpen a concern? yes. yes it is. but its something that cannot be handled until madson comes and back and until a decision is made on lidge. right now they cant even trade for a closer should lidge be deemed unusable. its may.

otherwise, what? the only other concern is hamels? hes actually pitching fairly closely to what he did in 08. the playoffs 08 version of hamels probably doesnt exist, that was some kind of weird enigma of awesome. this is the hamels were gonna get it. its not all star caliber but its about as good as aj burnett/andy pettitte...and they yankees won the world seres last year.

so there. calm down. enjoy the season. when the playoffs start then we can go all crazy.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 03:03:45 PM

It's truly disturbing just how much IGY and I agree on the Cliff Lee thing.  Rube screwed the pooch on that one.  The good news is that the Mariners are sucking something awful so maybe the M's look to move him at the AS Break if they don't turn it around.  Given that it's a 3 month rental at that point, they could literally get him back for next to nothing. 

Too bad he'll get traded to another NL team like the Giants or Doyers or Cards.  Imagine if the Giants traded for Lee at mid season and they go into the playoffs 4 deep in the starting rotation.  Yikes. 

MDS

m's are 5.5 games out of first in a terrible division. dont jump to any conclusions yet.

also EVERYONE thinks the trade was bad. most of us have accepted it, you know, cause it happened, and have moved on. its always going to be one of those great "what if's" but hes gone. its over. what more is there to talk about with that.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 17, 2010, 03:09:35 PM
Too bad he'll get traded to another NL team like the Giants or Doyers or Cards.  Imagine if the Giants traded for Lee at mid season and they go into the playoffs 4 deep in the starting rotation.  Yikes. 

the scary thing about this is hes exactly the kind of quality left hander that would eat the phils alive

Quote from: SD on May 17, 2010, 03:07:22 PM
they're still a heavy favorite to win the world series.

really?

i think they are favorites to win the nl and a team that could win the world series but most likely wont...thats a far cry from being THE favorite to win the world series