This Is Gonna Suck: 2016 Phillies Season Thread

Started by MDS, April 04, 2016, 04:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: phattymatty on April 28, 2016, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: MDS on April 27, 2016, 11:55:52 PM
you just answered the question. youd rather see them "progress" -- whatever that means -- and see some good ol fashion dubya's instead of having the ability to select a potentially transcendent player.

i get it but i dont feel it

so the tank in baseball is worth it but in basketball its ridiculous. got it. these are good things to know.

i never said the sixers tank was bad...i just said not trying for a year, then taking 2 guys who werent going to play was insulting. and that its silly to actively not try for multiple years for a slightly increased opportunity at drafting a generational defining player that might or might not even be there.

notice how the sixers have tanked for 3 years now and they are no closer to the 2nd coming of lebron james than they were before this even started. meanwhile the phillies have one of the best 10 farm systems in the game. i saw this years ago. the phillies will be a title contender before the sixers.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Geowhizzer

I had them pegged at about 72 wins, and I'm still leaning that direction.  Just playing the Braves a ton of times will probably get them there.  But they don't have the hitting to sustain an even mediocre record, and that will put too much stress on the pitching to carry the load.

They're probably not a 100 loss team just because of the Braves, but they'll lose 90.

Rome

The Sixers will have basically their entire payroll to spend on free agents plus a bazillion high picks and Saric plus the core they have now.  They only have 11 roster slots to fill unlike the Phillies who have 25.  Saying the Phillies will make the playoffs, which is likely at least four years away, defies any sort of logic. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on April 27, 2016, 10:01:09 PM
They're infinitely more watchable than in recent years now that they may actually have a future again.

yup...as long as one of the young arms is going they are really nice to watch this year...but everyone should still want them to lose every game while rooting for good individual performances from the youngstas...of course these two things can butt heads and if it comes down to it youd rather see progress from the future pieces than losses but the ultimate goal is to get another top 3 pick while people like VV progress (and mostly of course everyone lower in the system)

whats really cool to see is that now that Charlie Morton is dead they shouldn't get a start from a guy over 30 for the rest of the season...doesn't mean they are all part of the future but its dope to see the organization have pitching depth instead of trotting out 100 year old mlb journeyman
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2016, 12:58:58 PM

everyone should still want them to lose every game while rooting for good individual performances from the youngstas

that pretty much sums it up.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on April 28, 2016, 12:27:15 PM
The Sixers will have basically their entire payroll to spend on free agents plus a bazillion high picks and Saric plus the core they have now.  They only have 11 roster slots to fill unlike the Phillies who have 25.  Saying the Phillies will make the playoffs, which is likely at least four years away, defies any sort of logic.

Phillies have the best payroll in the majors moving forward so no advantage sixers there especially with everyone in the nba having money and no one wanting to go near the sixers...sixers also dont have a bazillion high picks...

while its possible the phillies might not make the playoffs for four years saying "at least" four years is a stretch...I would rather say they easily could make it in 2018 but probably wont until 2019 assuming a fair amount of things go right...the HUGE advantage the Phillies have over the sixers is that they can get free agents with relative ease that can turn a team pretty quickly...if it wasn't for that I would put it at about 50-50 btwn the two teams...right now id say its 65-35 phils

one advantage the sixers have is that 8 teams make it and the east doesn't have many if any really good ascending teams while the Phillies are going to have to be very good to finish even second in their own division in the next four or five years
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

So Odubel Herrera, eh? A Phillies leadoff man actually taking pitches and accumulating walks. Never thought I'd see the day.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 28, 2016, 01:11:11 PM
Quote from: Rome on April 28, 2016, 12:27:15 PM

Phillies have the best payroll in the majors moving forward so no advantage sixers there especially with everyone in the nba having money and no one wanting to go near the sixers...sixers also dont have a bazillion high picks...

while its possible the phillies might not make the playoffs for four years saying "at least" four years is a stretch...I would rather say they easily could make it in 2018 but probably wont until 2019 assuming a fair amount of things go right...the HUGE advantage the Phillies have over the sixers is that they can get free agents with relative ease that can turn a team pretty quickly...if it wasn't for that I would put it at about 50-50 btwn the two teams...right now id say its 65-35 phils

one advantage the sixers have is that 8 teams make it and the east doesn't have many if any really good ascending teams while the Phillies are going to have to be very good to finish even second in their own division in the next four or five years

The Sixers start five guys and rotate in a max of three or four, right?  If they hit the #1 this year, that means they're likely to have another cornerstone plus Saric.  Noel is a legit NBA player and they could undoubtedly trade Okafor for a starting point guard.  So that's four starters, right?  Now add in free agents and don't farging tell me no one wants to come to Philly because that's bullshtein.  They'll go wherever the biggest contract is. 

The Phillies have a minimum of six field positions to fill plus three starters, set up men, a closer and four or five solid bench contributors.  Are you seriously thinking they're going to be able to fill those with the guys they have in the minors in the next four years?  And I know they have a ton of money available, but they've already said they're not filling the roster with other teams' castoffs (and a lot of them are in baseball). 

I give both teams credit for doing it this way.  I just see the Sixers path as being easier especially because they're three full years into the purge whereas the Phillies just started it last year.

It will be close, though, but I just see the Sixers as being way closer right now especially now that Hinkie magic has taken his abacus and slide rule and headed for greener pastures.

PhillyPhreak54

Cesar is a baseball retard

Holy farg his baseball IQ is nonexistent

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Bases loaded, game on the line. Harper Ks on 3 pitches.

MDS

SD