2013-14 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by BigEd76, September 30, 2013, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

My bigger issue was not that he went all-in so to speak but how devoid of vision his offensive philosophy was.   We've been around in circles on this before so I don't need to bring up an advanced stats conversation again, but you can't replace Werth, Burrell and other players who got on base with high frequency with the slop that they did.   

Smug seemed content to fill the roster out with the polanco/young/mayberry's of the world.   The teams offense was so good because you had players who got on base frequently and hit for power.  The ones who left and didn't just get worse and lose that skillset (Howard not being able to walk as much etc) were replaced by people who didn't hit for tons of power, didn't get on base, and weren't particularly fast.  It's just a terrible offensive philosophy and killed the team.

ice grillin you

sarge is right.....the team should have won another title or even two if you wanna get greedy....and that would have changed everything...right now i would be slighly perturbed with the lack of a rebuild....without that second title im instead blood boilingly angry

2009-2011 is all on the players

after that its all on that moron gm
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Amaro was supposed to blow it all up in 2012 after the 2011 team won 102 games?

I see.

Sgt PSN

No, he was supposed to blow it up because as the team got older, they got progressively worse in the playoffs with each passing year. 

Rome

What he should have done is improve the roster.  He didn't.  They should have blown it up after this past year.  No one is arguing that. 

Sgt PSN

Actually, it's not that he should have blown them up after 2011, because a few of the contacts they signed guys to were untradable. But what he could and should have done was realize that they had a nice run, but it was over and time to start looking to acquire loads of young talent/prospects and stop signing high(er) priced veterans. This team probably could have been in position to compete again by 2015. Now it'll be 2017 at the rate he's going.

Chameleon

The Phillies starting sinking this ship before they won the world series. The day before the Bourne trade was the peak. Every day since has been a comedy of errors.

Sgt PSN

So they were on the decline before they peaked?  Seems legit.

Rome

Now that sounds like something stillupfront would post.

Jesus...

Chameleon

Enough with the problems though. How about some solutions. Fire Amaro, hire Chameleon. 2014 plan:Trade Hamels, Lee for minor league prospects, draft well, win 30-45 baseball games. Keep all minor league players with ability in the minors to avoid future abritation in years that could matter. Make choke stand on first base for 162 games. Let Carlos be a player manager. Hand out Carlos bobbles heads and sell lots of dollar dogs.

Chameleon

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 26, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
So they were on the decline before they peaked?  Seems legit.

You are being results oriented. Stop thinking like a fish.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on January 26, 2014, 01:41:59 PM
Amaro was supposed to blow it all up in 2012 after the 2011 team won 102 games?

I see.

good gm's can look into the future and not live for the right here and now

see what ozzie newsome did with the ravens last year after winning the superbowl

MDS

he should have blown it up but in many ways he was pot committed to trying to win for the last three years...the howard contract, the lee deal, the papelbon deal, etc. in no universe were the phillies going to become the astros or even the indians and just take a few years off from trying to win.

i agree 09-11 was 100 percent the players. team was good enough they didnt get it done. but even beyond his stupid moves amaro is just a farging idiot who is running a baseball team like a dumbass. no place does that shine brighter than the papelbon contract...all that money for something koji oo-e-hara just did exceptionally well for change found between the couch cushions.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on January 26, 2014, 04:06:15 PM
he should have blown it up but in many ways he was pot committed to trying to win for the last three years...the howard contract, the lee deal, the papelbon deal, etc. in no universe were the phillies going to become the astros or even the indians and just take a few years off from trying to win.

i agree 09-11 was 100 percent the players. team was good enough they didnt get it done. but even beyond his stupid moves amaro is just a farging idiot who is running a baseball team like a dumbass. no place does that shine brighter than the papelbon contract...all that money for something koji oo-e-hara just did exceptionally well for change found between the couch cushions.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I agree with Todd 100% on this.

ice grillin you

you arent going to become the astros overnight....but theres something btwn what they are doing now and being the astros....like you said they have some unmoveable objects but they also had some serious chips they could have moved to begin re stocking the system....not dealing phifer was particularly agregious...shtein jimmy is my hero and i would have been pissed to see him on another team but he could have gone....GRIT....ect...

hell even paps if you were willing to eat some cash could have been moved