2009-10 Flyers Season Thread

Started by BigEd76, October 02, 2009, 11:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

They traded Umberger and let Knuble walk, they were 25-30 goal scorers. They're not on the level of a Carter but they were replaceable. They basically made it to the finals without Carter the entire postseason, he's expendable.

SunMo

if Carter can get you an upper tier goalie, i do it.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

smeags

no doubt you're giving something up in carter but the reality is they are not going to be able to resign him and you need to give something up to get something in return.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

smeags

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 10, 2010, 11:11:15 AM
have fun replacing 35-40 goals in the lineup...they wont be making the playoffs for carter to not show up

that should work for you then as you want to blow this team up anyway.

ice grillin you

umberger is not even close to the level goal scorer carter is...carter is a top ten type goal scorer in the league...umberger is a solid 20-25 goal guy....and knuble is a 1000 years old theres no comparison there

if you wanna get rid of a hartnell who is basically umberger on the wing or a briere because of his age and contract i can be on board....in fact i would try to take advantage of briere leading the playoffs in scoring and unload him with the quickness

but unless you can show me a deal where carter gets you a top flight young goalie i just dont understand the big rush to trade him simply to trade him

Quote from: smeags on June 10, 2010, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 10, 2010, 11:11:15 AM
have fun replacing 35-40 goals in the lineup...they wont be making the playoffs for carter to not show up

that should work for you then as you want to blow this team up anyway.

you dont blow up a team by trading its good young players
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

You do when one of their young players doesn't show up in the finals and you were a goalie away from winning the cup. One of Carter, Briere, JVR, or Gagne has to be moved for a goalie. As much as Briere frustrates you in the regular season there's no denying the guy is a stud in the postseason when it matters most. Carter has a history of coming up small in the postseason.

smeags

of course you only trade him if the goalie in return is a young top tier player but keep in mind carter is a good young player they very well may not be able to re-sign after next season which is part of the reason the team may have to look at moving him.  

if the team can move briere instead then yeah you solve a couple of issues one of which is the question of whether they can afford to keep carter. just wonder if they can do it.

bottom line is something has to be done. actually several things have to be done to improve this team.

SunMo

i don't know what to do with Hartnell...i wanted him gone all year, but he turned into the kind of player i expected him to be in the playoffs.  good fore checker, gets dirty, the guy in front of the net.

Briere they can't move because he has a NMC.

SD

The Briere/Hartnell/Leino line was the best line in the playoffs. I mean, during the regular season Hartnell was my least favorite Flyer ever, he didn't score and made boneheaded after boneheaded play. But when the chips were down he came up big. IF he could be moved for a good goalie I'd move him in a heartbeat. He also has a NMC as does Gagne.

rjs246

I still want to light Boucher on fire, by the way. Game one and game five will haunt my dreams for years.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

overall, i'm not real confident with Holgren.  he has no ability to manage the cap and gives everybody with a long contract a NMC.

and i read a story how Ken Holland called him up and basically told him he had to trade for Leino and he wouldn't regret it, so his one good move came because he was convinced by an opposing GM

SD

My stance on Holmgren is the same, I hope he's canned.

I do credit him for the coachings change however, they FINALLY have a great coach in Lavy.

ice grillin you

if you think the flyers can win the cup next year by trading carter straight up for a great young goalie then of course you wanna do that...i just dont see another miracle run like this year...that literally happens once a lifetime...nor do i see any one player on the flyers bringing a great young goalie back

i think they are better than missing the playoffs liek they almost did but they arent that close to winning the cup either...i see a team with its best players getting really old really fast and i dont know why you would trade a richards hartnell or giroux...unless you just wanna trade everyone and go in the shteinter asap

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 10, 2010, 11:55:11 AM
if you think the flyers can win the cup next year by trading carter straight up for a great young goalie then of course you wanna do that...i just dont see another miracle run like this year...that literally happens once a lifetime...nor do i see any one player on the flyers bringing a great young goalie back

i think they are better than missing the playoffs liek they almost did but they arent that close to winning the cup either...i see a team with its best players getting really old really fast and i dont know why you would trade a richards hartnell or giroux...unless you just wanna trade everyone and go in the shteinter asap

That is more or less exactly how I feel. I don't think this is a legit Cup contender for next season. A goalie would help but Gagne, Briere, Pronger and Timonen are old. That's a lot of talent, defense and leadership that you have to treat as a question mark. I don't think this team is a goalie away from a cup. I think they were a goalie away from a 2010 Cup, but I don't think it translates into a dominant team for next year.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on June 10, 2010, 12:03:09 PM
I think they were a goalie away from a 2010 Cup, but I don't think it translates into a dominant team for next year.

THIS is the key....i would have traded carter for vokun like maybe right after the boston series

and of course i meant carter in my previous post not hartnell