2009-10 Flyers Season Thread

Started by BigEd76, October 02, 2009, 11:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Yes and yes, they have an abundance of forwards, Carter and JVR are their most movable of commodities, trade one and some picks and get a real goalie in here.

smeags

would they have to trade for carey price ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

The hate for Jeff Carter (not so much here but elsewhere) is completely laughable.  The dude was playing on a broken foot, for God's sake, yet he still gutted it out.

He shouldn't have been on the ice because he clearly wasn't anything near his normal self but to blame him for the series loss approaches King Cole-level retardation.

SD

Quote from: smeags on June 10, 2010, 09:02:30 AM
would they have to trade for carey price ?

I'm not a Price fan, I wouldn't mind revisiting that Carter for Vokoun deal.

Turco is a possibility and would just cost cap space the Flyers don't have.

SD

Thoughts on Leino?

Flash in the pan player or a guy that's finally lived up to his potential?

He's an older rookie at 27 but he didn't start playing hockey until he was 17 and was very highly touted as a minor league prospect. The guy could teach the rest of the team about puck control.

DH

I think it would be easy to say hes got RJ Umberger written all him but I'm gonna say he'll turn out to be a solid second liner for a long time. If nothing else, he's got the fan support which has to worth something. Or not.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 10, 2010, 09:02:34 AM
The hate for Jeff Carter (not so much here but elsewhere) is completely laughable.  The dude was playing on a broken foot, for God's sake, yet he still gutted it out.

He shouldn't have been on the ice because he clearly wasn't anything near his normal self but to blame him for the series loss approaches King Cole-level retardation.

agreed....carter does annoy even when hes healthy...but hes the ONLY young goal scorer in the entire organization....

he should be moved permanently to wing
play on a line with giroux
and give them 40 goals a year for the next decade

Quote from: SD on June 10, 2010, 09:16:37 AM
Thoughts on Leino?

He's an older rookie at 27 but he didn't start playing hockey until he was 17 and was very highly touted as a minor league prospect. The guy could teach the rest of the team about puck control.

i have no idea if hes a flash in the pan...but as you said he is very nifty with the puck and can do things on his skates that no one else on the team can do other than maybe giroux...hes strange in that hes not fast nor quick but he gets to places he wants to go and afterwards you are like how did he do that...his only real weakness is his shot and because of that i see him having a lot of trouble finishing
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Quote from: Rome on June 10, 2010, 09:02:34 AM
The hate for Jeff Carter (not so much here but elsewhere) is completely laughable.  The dude was playing on a broken foot, for God's sake, yet he still gutted it out.

it's obvious he wasn't 100% but his foot played no part in not lifting that shot last night. i like carter but i still say you move him, he has what, one more year, two on his current deal ? no way they can afford to re-sign him IMO so you might as well move him. preferably to get a top notch goalie. vokoun as SD mentioned ? would make sense cap wise to try it or something sooner rather than later.

Eagles_Legendz

Leino is like a poor mans Pavel Datsyuk, which is to say better than most of the forwards the Flyers have.  People in Detroit were incredibly high on him this year and he just didn't do anything for them.

I just watched Carter's shot again.  How did he miss that?

smeags

Quote from: SD on June 10, 2010, 09:16:37 AM
Thoughts on Leino?

i think he is worth keeping. especially if you plan on moving a carter or JVR.

is there a list out there of contracts to know who is where in their deals ?

SD

It's easy to say Carter didn't play well because of his foot, but when you look at his history of regular season vs. the playoffs he always comes up small when it matters the most. I like him as a player but he's in demand and a goalie is a greater need than another forward is.

rjs246

The team needs scorers. Everyone chipped in the playoffs, but during the regular season goals weren't exactly being pumped into the back of the net. Carter for all of his bullshtein and wrist shots and uselessness in the playoffs is a young goal scorer on a team in desperate need of goals. They need a goalie but unless they get the reincarnation of Brodeur they're still going to need to score and I don't have a ton of faith in this lineup to do that regularly.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

Carter is a one-dimensional player...great wrist shot.  Except he's not accurate with it.  He doesn't forecheck well, he doesn't pass well which is awful for a center.  He's soft as shtein and gets knocked off the puck too much.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

smeags

Quote from: SD on June 10, 2010, 10:41:53 AM
It's easy to say Carter didn't play well because of his foot, but when you look at his history of regular season vs. the playoffs he always comes up small when it matters the most. I like him as a player but he's in demand and a goalie is a greater need than another forward is.

exactly. he's the new leclair in a way.

ice grillin you

have fun replacing 35-40 goals in the lineup...they wont be making the playoffs for carter to not show up
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous