Best Hockey Fight?

Started by Rome, January 07, 2006, 03:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

My buddies and I were shooting the ish last night during the 2nd Flyers/Caps intermission and we were discussing the best fights we ever saw in hockey games.

Of course, my "best fights" stories revolved around the Flyers and the other dudes revolved around their teams but honestly the best fight I ever saw was between Mel Bridgman of the Flyers and Bobby Nystrom of the Islanders.

We were at the Spectrum sitting in our usual seats behind the goal when all of a sudden, Nystrom flew in and laid the wood on a Flyer (can't remember who now).  Anyway, Bridgman saw it and decided to intervene.  They were jawing when all of a sudden, Nystrom drops 'em and lands a sucker punch on Bridgman.  Bridgman dropped 'em and then dance was on.

They circled a few times and then each one grabbed the others' shoulder pads and started throwing haymakers one after another.  It was amazing.  Their fists were like pistons in an engine they were being thrown so fast.  The fight lasted about a minute and a half before they seemed to both stop at once!  The refs and linesmen never even intervened!!  Both guys just stopped, separated, and then skated off to their respective penalty boxes.

Of course, after the fight, everyone rose to their feet for a standing ovation.  To this day I wonder if anyone else was cheering for both guys as I was.  Not because I liked the Islanders or Nystom, mind you.  In fact, I hated their farging guts.  But the fight in itself was something so amazing to behold, you had to give it up to both dudes.

Any others you'd like to share?  Please do so.

mussa

As a kid we used to go to alot of hershey bears games. man they would fight all the time.  the players were so bad, but when they fought, the crowd went nuts!  i never really watched much hockey, but i love watching playoffs. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

LBIggle

it wasn't just one fight.. it was the senators flyers extravaganza.  the one that broke the nhl record for penalty minutes in a game. i can never get tired of watching that.

Rome

Dave Brown versus pretty much the entire Edmonton Oilers roster in the '87 Finals was pretty bitchin' too.

Dillen

I was at an Amerks game a few years ago. There were about 7 fights within a 2 minutes, and at one point there were 4 going on at a time. Anyways, during one of the fights a player on the other team tried tackling an Amerks guy, Amerks guy moved, guy layed out ref.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on January 07, 2006, 08:41:15 PM
Dave Brown versus pretty much the entire Edmonton Oilers roster in the '87 Finals was pretty bitchin' too.

Wasn't that the year that the Flyers and Habs had the big brawl BEFORE the game in one of the playoff series, and Brownie came out without his jersey looking for a certain guy (can't remember who), and proceeded to beat the tar out of him? Brown was the man.  Had a T-Shirt of him and someone else (For some unknown reason I think it was Daryl Stanley) entitled the Bruise Brothers.

Here's a
RealPlayer clip of some of that scrum, but it does not have the footage I remember seeing of Brown in that fight.

ice grillin you

nystrom-bridgeman is a classic

tocchet-wendal clarke

tocchet-george mcphee I & II

zemlack-kordic

baumgardner-probert

mcsorely-holmgren

neely-hartman

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Tie Domi vs. Flyers Fan in box

DutchBird

Well,

the Only Flyers game I ever witnessed saw LeClair tossed from the games after 11.30 minutes or so into the first period... 10 of which he had spent on the bench for fighting (two majors). After the third fight he was tossed... IIRC for one of them, he came of the bench and went straight toi a guy and knocked the snot out of him.

Lindors knocked down a linesman as well that game.
You have New York, we have Amsterdam
Just 15,000 Dutch beat out 90,000 Americans

With Timmy, one of three things is going to happen. Somebody is going to get hurt - it's either going to be him, an opponent, or one of our players.

Phanatic

A few years ago I saw Chris Pronger beat the snot out of Barnaby. It was funny because Pronger was holding the weasel with one hand so he couldn't fall down or turtle and beating him with the other. My blood lust was satisfied that day!!
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: DutchBird on January 11, 2006, 11:58:52 AM
Lindors knocked down a linesman as well that game and then left due to a concussion.

Fixed.

DutchBird

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 11, 2006, 12:16:40 PM
Quote from: DutchBird on January 11, 2006, 11:58:52 AM
Lindors knocked down a linesman as well that game and then left due to a concussion.

Fixed.

Nope, that was before the concussion problems...
You have New York, we have Amsterdam
Just 15,000 Dutch beat out 90,000 Americans

With Timmy, one of three things is going to happen. Somebody is going to get hurt - it's either going to be him, an opponent, or one of our players.

Sgt PSN

The best hockey fight ever was last year when the owners and players were fighting and there was no hockey. 

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

ice grillin you

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3713510853290350364&q=hockey+fight&pl=true

jimmy kyte vs gord kluzak in a classic

dave brown lost three fights as a flyer and one of them was to kyte....kyte was/is also deaf
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous