The religion thread.

Started by Diomedes, January 18, 2009, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 11, 2011, 08:15:42 PM
Simple explanation:  Jesus proclaimed himself as the son of god and king of the jews.  The jews that believed him formed christianity.  The ones that didn't had him crucified. 

Good simple explanation.  The Jews that believed him also got some of the Gentiles (read:  non-Jews) to believe.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Sgt PSN on June 11, 2011, 08:15:42 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 08:06:25 PM
but in reality jews hate jesus?

No.  They just don't recognize him as anything more than a man. 

That wasn't really a strongly worded answer. 

At the time, I'm sure there was much resentment and hatred towards him, otherwise they wouldn't have murderdeathkilled him.  At the same time, I don't really think Jews are carrying a lot of hatred towards him today.  He's not in their teachings and I don't think they sit around the dinner table saying things like "Hey....remember that time we killed Jesus?"  Todd could answer this better, but I don't even think there's really any mention of him is there?  Jews pretty much stop with the old testament and Jesus wasn't introduced until the new testament, right? 

Fun fact:  Jesus' crucifixion was the site of the world's first t shirt stand. 

ice grillin you

my girls christian friends swear he wasnt a jew...but thats like common knowledge right?

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 08:25:59 PM
so was jesus a jew?

Yes, he was addressed as rabbi or rabonni, a term for one who is a distinguished theologian and religious leader.

QuoteAt the time, I'm sure there was much resentment and hatred towards him, otherwise they wouldn't have murderdeathkilled him.

I think it would be more correct to say he was  loved by the Jews a charismatic teacher. It was because of this Rome saw him as a threat for insurrection and the Jewish religious orthodoxy saw him as a threat to their political control and hypocrisy, and arranged to have him tried and killed.

Today I don't think there is much hate toward Jesus by Jews, but I don't know if the same can be said necessarily about Christians, particularly evangelicals who see it as their duty to convert Jews (and everyone else for that matter) 'for their own good.' It's an interesting dynamic though because there are many of the Christian right who are a driving force behind the financial and military support of Israel as a free state.

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 10:28:01 PM
my girls christian friends swear he wasnt a jew...but thats like common knowledge right?

He was a direct descendant from the "House of David," who was the king of the Jews. Don't get much more Jewish than that.

King David btw, was the father of Solomon.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagaholic on June 11, 2011, 10:38:15 PM

He was a direct decendant from the "House of David," who was the king of the Jews. Don't get much more Jewish than that.

right thats what i thought....chalk one up for the heathen

didnt jews get really upset about mel gibsons movie...if they truly hated jesus they woudnt have cared about being portrayed as killing him right?

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 11, 2011, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: Eagaholic on June 11, 2011, 10:38:15 PM

He was a direct decendant from the "House of David," who was the king of the Jews. Don't get much more Jewish than that.

right thats what i thought....chalk one up for the heathen

didnt jews get really upset about mel gibsons movie...if they truly hated jesus they woudnt have cared about being portrayed as killing him right?

Interesting thought, I don't know. If history went down such that the Jews got to Hitler and brutally killed him, I doubt they would have much objection to its graphic depiction (like a lot of Americans would love to see the pics of Bin Laden). Of course that's on it's own unique level. On the other hand, Hitler is almost universally reviled where as Jesus gets a lot of love, even from Muslims, Buddhists etc.

MDS

jews get sensative about 2 issues:

1. the killing jesus thing
2. israel

everything else we make fun of ourselves more for than anyone else could even try to.

also when the next pretend son of god comes along hes getting the same result: a big fat DEAD. you cant try to take over our money and power so dont even bother. thats all ill say. it goes too deep, diehard knows what i mean.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

so someone explain "jews for jesus"

MDS

explain scientology. explain christianity. explain islam. explain any religion.

there are idiots out there and people desparate for some kind of meaning or point to their life. for some people jews for jesus works.

if you want to specifically know what the cult is then farging google it you lazy twat.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

PhillyGirl

Saw one of those RVs from the end of the world freaks yesterday.

Still had all of this "He's coming for you" crap all over it, but they had whitewashed over all of the 5/21/11 end of the world shtein.

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

theres like 10 of them in downtown DC at any time

got massive pictures of dead fetuses all on the outside of the vehicle

its pretty cool