2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

funny tho if they bring rowland smith up after olsons start they actually will have four lefties
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 30, 2009, 01:03:16 PM
olson tho is only getting a spot start

Most likely person to replace him is Ryan Rowland-Smith, another lefty.

Four lefties happens every once in a while, but mostly on zesty teams like recent vintages of the Royals and Pirates, and generally not for most of a season.

The '81 Yankees lost the WS with four lefties; might be the last time a really good team had that situation. A couple years later the Yankees had an all-lefty rotation and posted a winning season.

ice grillin you

yeah i can see it happening on zesty teams who are looking at individual pitchers rather than the big picture of the team winning....but i wonder how many times an acvtual rotation has been set up that way like coming out of spring training with four lefties...or having a guy go down and trading for a fourth lefty in your rotation or having two equal options to go with and taking the lefty for the rest of the year

i think if basticho was a righty he wouldnt be the choice...the fact hes a lefty makes him not an option imo

QB Eagles

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 30, 2009, 01:12:30 PM
but i wonder how many times an acvtual rotation has been set up that way like coming out of spring training with four lefties...or having a guy go down and trading for a fourth lefty in your rotation or having two equal options to go with and taking the lefty for the rest of the year

If the options were truly equal I don't see why a team would go with a lefty over a righty if they already have three in their rotation.

The early 80s Yankees wanted to get righties into their rotation but couldn't. In '83 they came out of spring training knowing they had four lefties and went 20 games over .500 with lefties pitching 127 games, so it's not like it killed them. They were definitely a team looking to contend, not just try out guys. They kept sporadically putting in different right handers who sucked because of the aversion to having an all-lefty club.

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 30, 2009, 12:43:49 PM
...ill eat a piece of my own poo poo if they put four lefties in one rotation....

Dude. Can we all agree to hold IGY to this? I mean, how farging amazing would this be?
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

The Nationals are absolutely the shteins.  Their defensive play in the outfield is atrocious.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Geowhizzer

Sgt PSN

i attribute that more to him facing the nationals rather than him getting back to his old self. 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 30, 2009, 10:45:57 PM
i attribute that more to him facing the nationals rather than him getting back to his old self. 

I might agree with that, but with Lidge the mental part is so big.  Get him some confidence and he might start pitching more like he did last year.  I'm not expecting perfection, but this year has been as bad as last year was good.

I still think his knee will require some cleaning out before the all-star break.

Sgt PSN

i think it's more physical than mental myself.  it's just that a less that 100% healthy lidge is still way too much for the nats lineup. 

i'd still like to see him put on the 15 day dl to get himself right physically.