Jermane Mayberry Benched

Started by PhillyPhreak54, November 03, 2005, 08:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

NOLA.com

QuoteNew Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett isn't accusing anyone of quitting. He's making roster moves nonetheless.

After threatening earlier in the week to cut anyone he believed wasn't trying in the face of a 2-6 record, Haslett said Wednesday he was benching right guard Jermane Mayberry and releasing running back Jesse Chatman.

Mayberry will be replaced by Montrae Holland, who started twice for an injured Mayberry earlier this season. Mayberry cost the franchise a $5 million bonus and at least $7 million over the next two years when he signed as a free agent in the offseason.

Haslett said Mayberry didn't fall into the quitting category.

"That's not it," Haslett said. "We're just looking for more consistency."

The Saints acquired Chatman in a trade with Miami last month after Deuce McAllister was injured, but they will not have to surrender the seventh-round pick in the deal because Chatman didn't rush for at least 300 yards. In fact, Chatman never carried the ball for New Orleans.

"I'm not going to surround our team with those kind of players," Haslett said, refusing further comment.

QuoteIt's not something that I like," Mayberry said. "They said they were looking for improvement in the running game. I'm just going to keep working at it. There are still a lot of games left."

Holland started 20 games prior to this season, including 13 last year. Although he started twice while Mayberry nursed a bruised shoulder, he didn't play against Miami.

"We feel Montrae has been consistent, and he's a good run blocker and a tough guy," Haslett said. "That doesn't mean we're going to give up on Jermane. He's a good player. He's kind of in a funk that we're all in right now."

QuoteMcAllister rushed for a season-high 130 yards on 27 carries when Holland started in Mayberry's place in a 19-7 victory over Buffalo. And with McAllister injured, the Saints still managed 211 yards on 32 carries and two touchdowns with Holland starting in a 34-31 loss to Atlanta.

Mayberry acknowledged Holland deserved credit.

"He's played well," Mayberry said. "Every game he's filled in for me, I think he's done a good job."

Mayberry, 32, played nine seasons in Philadelphia. A standout at Texas A&M-Kingsville, Mayberry was a first-round draft choice (25th overall), started 96 games for the Eagles, including last season's Super Bowl, and was a Pro Bowl starter in 2002.

But his performance this year has been spotty. He injured the shoulder in practice a month ago, and he said the Saints use a blocking scheme that varies somewhat from the Eagles.

"I have no excuses," Mayberry said. "I just have to play better. And I will."

henchmanUK

"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's really a surprise that he's more accustomed to pass blocking.  Who'da thunk it?