Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

I guess its because I haven't invested the time to read the books, but whenever Munson spells out names I zone out.  More titties, less words
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Lol maybe we'll just stick with pictures like I do with my 2nd graders:

Ser Barristan:

Shireen:

Melisandre (You've seen her titties)
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Yea that was actually very funny

Eagles_Legendz

Greenwald is probably my favorite TV critic (though I think he overstates how good The Americans is).  His spoiler free review:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-on-the-most-entertaining-show-on-television-returns-different-but-better-than-ever/

SD

I rewatched the entire series, finished up last night. Surprised I thought I missed some stuff because of all the storylines but I got it all. The Oberyn/Mountain fight is one of the greatest scenes in television history.

SunMo

that was interesting the part about Martin being salty that he's being left behind, so to speak.

get off your ass and finish your farging books dude.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

Quote from: SD on April 09, 2015, 11:30:21 AM
I rewatched the entire series, finished up last night. Surprised I thought I missed some stuff because of all the storylines but I got it all. The Oberyn/Mountain fight is one of the greatest scenes in television history.

i always say i'm going to re-watch the previous season before a new one but i never do, so i'm usually lost for awhile because my memory sucks
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Eagles_Legendz

I think season 1 is interesting on a rewatch (like the initial book is interesting to reread) because it's all presented from a Stark perspective that is somewhat skewed.  You're setup to think the Lannisters are evil because of what the Starks think plus how episode 1 ends with Jaime tossing Bran.  The Lannisters are never as "good" as the Starks, but a lot of things put at their feet in the very beginning of the show they aren't responsible for (Jon Arryn's death, the assassin who showed up to kill Bran, even things like Ned's condescension towards Jaime about the Mad King is viewed in a different light after knowing what is revealed later about why Jaime killed him).

It doesn't completely turn the series on its head - Jaime certainly isn't a "good guy" especially early on, Cersei is still conniving etc but it's not so simple as the black and white picture that's intentionally misrepresented in season 1 early on. 

SD

Quotethe assassin who showed up to kill Bran,

I thought that was Cersei/Jaimie's doing to keep him from talking about what he saw in the tower. They never explain the attempt further in the show (that I saw). Who orders the assasination attempt then?

Jaimie is a redemption story. He is evil the first few seasons (throws Bran out the window, murders his cousin to save his own skin, bunch of other stuff I'm probably forgetting). Like most women, Cersei is his downfall that leads him to his bad traits.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: SD on April 09, 2015, 11:55:49 AM
Quotethe assassin who showed up to kill Bran,

I thought that was Cersei/Jaimie's doing to keep him from talking about what he saw in the tower. They never explain the attempt further in the show (that I saw). Who orders the assasination attempt then?

Jaimie is a redemption story. He is evil the first few seasons (throws Bran out the window, murders his cousin to save his own skin, bunch of other stuff I'm probably forgetting). Like most women, Cersei is his downfall that leads him to his bad traits.

No but the show basically drops it.  They've bypassed all opportunities to reveal what happened there and it's not critical to the overall story so I doubt it'll be addressed again.   In book 2 Jaime says to Catelyn after she accused him of it that he's killed lots of people but he's never once sent someone to do his own killing for him.

Joffrey sends the assassin (after hearing Robert say it would be a mercy as Bran will be a cripple).  Jaime and Cersei have nothing to do with it.

I do agree that Jaime is a quasi-redemptive arc (though they may have unintentionally butchered that somewhat with how they choreographed the sex scene last season.  I do think there's competing issues though - Jaime definitely rediscovers a sense of honor through Brienne that had been dead in him because of his sense of cynicism and nihilism.   That being said, part of him has always been fundamentally the same...he has always been willing to go great lengths in service of good and evil to protect those he cares about.  The actions just seem good because Brienne and Tyrion are "good" whereas Cersei isn't.  I think his line in the show at the end of episode 1 is true "the things I do for love".  Sometimes those things are good, sometimes they aren't.  But I do agree some of his belief in honor has been restored.

QB Eagles

The assassin is one of a few things from the books that the show initially decided to include without returning to the plotline for the payoff later. Another one that comes to mind is the story of Tyrion's first wife.

smeags

im pumped for sunday.

did the same. has me pumped for sunday. agree with the that fight scene. not sure about anyone else but i was cheering oberyn like i was at a game.

who didnt say yeah mothrfarger when he took the mountain down only to see him lose at the end. pretty much like the reid era.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

QB Eagles

Season 4 was one of the greatest seasons of any show, ever. I really have zero interest in the fantasy genre, but the first three seasons were good enough to transcend genre for me. The fourth season was spectacular, epic television, and now I'm obsessed with it to the point where I read the first three books.

Eagles_Legendz

Yeah Sunday coming is like the beginning of football season to me, I get that geeked out over it.  It's amplified more knowing they're veering off from the books so more of it will be new to me too.

I was worried about this season because books 4 and 5 are just not as good, but sepinwall and greenwald (and others) both said its a great start (though, like any other start, I've seen it's slower with regard to set pieces).