Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

there isnt 100 funk bands

which is why half that list arent funk acts
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

I agree, IGY.  What's interesting is how funk and soul are confused.

To me, James Brown is the greatest soul singer ever.  But he was a funky ass mofo too.

Marvin Gaye was a soulful singer but you'd never confuse him as being a funk artist.

ice grillin you

i didnt even see marvin gaye on there...thats ridiculous

james brown is definitely funk...however he gets labeled soul because he came out long before funk existed as a genre and of course hes known as the godfather of soul....but hes funk all the way
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

To me, funk = bassline.  If the bassline drives the song, it's funk.  It needs horns too but the bassline is the key. 

Geowhizzer

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

Rome

Diomedes

Billy Preston - Encouraging Words
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

shorebird

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 26, 2007, 11:19:15 PM
i didnt even see marvin gaye on there...thats ridiculous

james brown is definitely funk...however he gets labeled soul because he came out long before funk existed as a genre and of course hes known as the godfather of soul....but hes funk all the way

Your right, I don't know what I was saying when I said Sly was the origionator of Funk. He definatly had his own style, and was more modern, but James Brown is the true origionator of Funk.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: mussa on January 26, 2007, 05:54:27 PM
I hate staind and all those bands that fit into that genre, pop metal or neu-metal. all they do is whine about how life sucks. shut up or do it with some real aggression. that shtein is weak.
You ever hear the Tormented CD?  I like the early Staind, they sold out after Dysfunction.  I love Tool and meshuggah but the old Staind is pretty damn good. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

shorebird

Oh yeah...........Doin' it to Death, The Godfather.

mussa

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on January 28, 2007, 10:13:28 AM
Quote from: mussa on January 26, 2007, 05:54:27 PM
I hate staind and all those bands that fit into that genre, pop metal or neu-metal. all they do is whine about how life sucks. shut up or do it with some real aggression. that shtein is weak.
You ever hear the Tormented CD?  I like the early Staind, they sold out after Dysfunction.  I love Tool and meshuggah but the old Staind is pretty damn good. 

Stainds first CD was good, def. Then they got popular and with that stupid acoustic, whinning like a bitch crap. I hate myself I want to die, wah. Well do the world a favor and kill yourself. They sold out and they never progressed musically. Sorry I just don't like them anymore.  Reminds me of Korn, first CD, excellant, then they got popular and just never produced anything better than the first CD, all sounded the same.

Uploaded some more CD's into my library since I got a new computer. Uploading is so much faster now.

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes - I havn't listened to this album in a long time and I don't know why. I think this CD is a masterpiece of metal. Def top 3 of my all-time Metal cd's in my book.
As I lay Dying - Shadows of Security - I was dissappointed by this cd when I got it, but its growing on me now.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

NGM

M. Ward - Post War

Damn good cd. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

phattymatty

Quasimoto

Static-X - Wisconsin Death Trip

I'll gladly take a bullet to the head for this :(