Rosenhaus pushes for Volek trade

Started by MURP, August 16, 2005, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

link

Quote"To me, that wouldn't make sense,'' Fisher said. "You have to have two good quarterbacks to have a chance to win. We have two quarterbacks. Why would you give one away unless you have a chance to get a better one? We are not in the business of developing players to play for other people right now. We are developing players for our future.''

always stirring up the pot. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Volek was a free agent before 2004 and chose to re-sign with the Titans as a backup, amongst other offers that might have given him a better chance to start.

Man, Rosenhaus never stops.  It's hilarious.

PhillyPhreak54

Well isn't Drew Rosenhaus a bundle of good news...he's like the grim reaper. He shows up at NFL camps bringing bad news.

If I were teams I'd hire guys at the airports to take him out as soon as they see him to prevent him from waltzing into whatever city and stirring up trouble.

BigEd76

If Tennessee is brutal this year, they'll have a shot at Matt Leinart, and since Norm Chow is there now....1+1...math...etc...  :P

Volek probably has no future there and could be decent trade bait (Arizona?  Cleveland?  Kansas City?)...

PhillyPhreak54

Kansas City could be a possibility...

Trent Green is borderline ancient and their back-up Todd Collins, who sucks, hurt his throwing hand.

I think CLE will stay with Dilfer and hope Charlie Frye is their future there...

Maybe Saban would be interested next year?

RezRob

Quote from: BigEd76 on August 16, 2005, 02:41:49 PM
If Tennessee is brutal this year, they'll have a shot at Matt Leinart, and since Norm Chow is there now....1+1...math...etc...  :P
Volek probably has no future there and could be decent trade bait (Arizona? Cleveland? Kansas City?)...
How about Chicago? They probably won't act on it but come on they need a QB. He would be an upgrade to a healthy Grossman much less a Chad Hutchinson.... Knowing the Bears they'll miss this boat too. They could had Bledsoe, Feidler,Q.Carter or Warner for a song and dance.(all upgrades to their current roster) ::)
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 16, 2005, 02:54:09 PM
Maybe Saban would be interested next year?

Frerotte will get hurt head-butting the goal post.  Amongst mass confusion, the Dolphins' front office will trade A.J. Feeley to the Giants for Jay Feely.  They will start Feely at QB, and he will miraculously accumulate a passer rating of over 90.  Concurrently in NY/NJ, Eli will break his middle and pointer fingers in an off field incident involving use of the "shocker".  A.J. will take over and finish the regular season strong, sending the Giants to a wild-card berth.  A QB controversy will fester leading into the game, as Eli is now healed enough to play.  The 3rd-seeded Lions will dismantle the 6th seeded Giants with Eli at the helm.  A.J. is brought in late and rallies, but too little too late.  The Giants will then trade Feeley to the taterskins in the off-season for a 3rd round pick.  Sean Taylor will shoot A.J. dead, angry after bruising his finger intercepting one of his passes in camp.

So, apparently the Fins won't need Volek.

The End.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteVolek sets agent straight
Backup QB says Rosenhaus went too far in comments about desire to be traded

By TOM WRIGHT
The Leaf-Chronicle

NASHVILLE — Two days after agent Drew Rosenhaus came to Titans training camp and said backup quarterback Billy Volek wanted to be traded, Volek cleared the air Wednesday after practice.

Not only does the six-year veteran want to stay in Nashville this year, Volek said he was upset with the way his agent, Rosenhaus, portrayed him in the media.

"I called him up right away and said, 'Hey, what did you do, man?'" said Volek of his reaction to the story printed Tuesday in The Tennessean saying that Rosenhaus was looking to set up a trade with a team that could give Volek a chance to start. "But we are on the same page now.

"It was a big miscommunication, and I can't believe how big it got."

Volek said he knew Rosenhaus was coming to Nashville to talk to Titans general manager Floyd Reese on Monday, but Rosenhaus didn't handle it like Volek expected.

"I thought he was going to lay the foundation with Floyd for my future," Volek said. "He did that, but he also went to the media. ... Now Drew and I are on the same page.

"He knows how I want to be represented."

Volek wanted to clear up the matter because he feared the public would put him in the same category with a couple of Rosenhaus' other clients like Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker, who have both made headlines for threatening to hold out of training camp this summer.

"I am not like Terrell Owens or Javon Walker," Volek said. "Just because Drew represents those guys doesn't mean I am the same category as those guys. I want to be represented the way I want to be represented, and Drew understands that now.

"We went through some growing pains, but like I said, we are on the same page now."

Volek wants to keep his focus on helping the Titans win this year.

"I want to get Steve (McNair) back to where he was in 2003," Volek said. "And I am going to do all I can do to help this team. If it is scout team, or if Steve goes down, I would love to help win some ballgames."

But while Volek cleared up how he views his role with the Titans this year, that doesn't mean he doesn't want to start for an NFL team in the near future.

"People who say, 'I want to be a backup all my life,' what is that guy's desires?" Volek said. "I want to be a starter. If it is not here, it will be somewhere in the future. But right now I want to help Steve out."

Volek did that plenty last year.

When McNair went down with a sternum injury in the third game of the season against the Jacksonville Jaguars and missed eight games because of the injury, Volek stepped in and completed 218 of 357 passes (61.1 percent) for 2,486 yards and 18 touchdowns.

His 426 yards passing on Dec. 13 against the Kansas City Chiefs and 492 yards passing the next week against the Oakland Raiders made Volek only the fourth quarterback in NFL history to record back-to-back 400-yard passing games, joining Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Phil Simms.

Those kinds of numbers gave Rosenhaus plenty of ammunition to make his case for Volek to be traded, but for now, Volek is happy in Tennessee.

"We will cross that bridge in January or February," Volek said. "I am glad I am here. My family loves it here. I love it here. The fans are great.

"I am glad to be a Titan."

goeagles99 found this article...

Good to see Drew catching some flak. His head has been too far up TO's ass and it is affecting him. :-D :-D

Sgt PSN

Nice to see the player taking control and not the agent/employee. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

I think the whole thing was staged to make Volek look like Mr. Nice Guy, while still letting the team AND the national media know that deep down, he yearns to be traded somewhere he can start.

henchmanUK

QuoteWe are developing players for our future.

Reading between the lines, could this mean they might dump McNair pretty soon? As much as I am a fan of his, I don't think that would be the worst move for them and to hand the keys over to Volek, because they are clearly a team in transition right now.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

MURP

They may have to dump McNair soon, or else the United States will run out of duct tape. 

Zanshin

I thought McNair was leaning toward this being his last year, anyway.

henchmanUK

Quote from: Zanshin on August 19, 2005, 09:11:58 AM
I thought McNair was leaning toward this being his last year, anyway.

Then they'd be fargin' stupid to dump Volek and Rosenhaus is being an even bigger arse for bringing it up.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London