Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

You can compare the folder size on your laptop to the one on your external. It will tell you how many gigs and the # of files in each folder. So if your music folder on your laptop has say 1000 files in it and your external matches that, then you're good.

If they don't match (say 1000 vs 950), then just copy everything and drag it to your music folder on your external. You'll get a prompt that says "xxxx.mp3 already exists.  Do you want to overwrite the file?"  You will select "no."  But before you do that, there should be a box underneath that you can check that will say "Do this for the next 950 occurances" You'll want to check that.

So basically it will only copy the files that aren't already on the external. Maybe there's an easier way (not that this method is complicated), but I don't know what it is.

Diomedes

I never noticed such a checkbox, I'll try it out.  And when the process stops because a file name is "too long?"
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Change the file name to something shorter.

Sgt PSN

If there's no checkbox, then you should get 4 options:

Yes, No, Yes to all, No to all.  Click "no to all."

Diomedes

There is no checkbox for that.  The options I get are:

Yes, Yes to all, No, and Cancel

there is no "no to all" option
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on July 08, 2012, 02:12:27 PM
Change the file name to something shorter.

Okay, so I'll run the copy job.  If there is a filename problem it will kill the process but I'll know which file it is I need to rename.  I'll do that, and then run the whole thing again.

pain in the ass, but alright

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on July 08, 2012, 02:38:23 PM
There is no checkbox for that.  The options I get are:

Yes, Yes to all, No, and Cancel

there is no "no to all" option

Hmm. Then you'll have to sit there and click No everytime it pops up.

Diomedes

In other words, you know as much as I do about this crap: nothing.  Awesome.

Sgt PSN

Probably. But I led you on well enough to think I did, right? 

Rome

So this Macbook Pro I have has VoiceOver on it.  I inadvertently turned it on and holy shtein is it annoying.  I shut it off, but good God it's bad.

Seabiscuit36

Dio... Download Teracopy off Cnet/Downloads or any other shareware site.  It speeds up any file transfers by at least half, and it has an overwrite/ignore function
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

Tomahawk

I'm in the market for a new desktop for home use. Since the computer will mostly be used for pr0n, it needs to be cheap. Other than bensbargains.net, what sites should I be looking at?

Sgt PSN

phattymatty

what are the reasons anyone would ever still get a desktop? seems like laptops are just as cheap as desktops these days.