TV/Internet/Phone options

Started by Zanshin, February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: smeags on December 01, 2015, 02:33:46 PM
Maybe I'll get lucky and run into a guy in a white van at neshaminy mall.

I'm not sure how getting raped and tossed in a dumpster solves your home theater problems, but good luck.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Seabiscuit36

Sus, you can also get a HDMI Switch at monoprice for under 30 bucks, even comes with a remote. 

It is amazing how cheap the tv's are now compared to just 5 years ago.  Sus probably paid 5k for that plasma back in the day.  LED is definitely the way to go from this point going forward, especially if you're setup is in a room where you get lots of light.  Bought a Samsung 65" two years ago off amazon, and it's been a great purchase.  Just as Sarge said, the smart features are a waste outside of netflix/youtube/amazon.  The browser is painfully slow, and may be IE 2.1.

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

smeags

Yeah the browsers are typically useless. Haven't even looked at it and prob won't. If I need to I can hook my laptop to the tv and use the cordless keyboard and mouse if I want a 50in PC screen.

Speaking of prices, I paid $250 less for this 50" sammy led smart tv than I did for the one I replaced and I got that one on family discount.

Sgt PSN

First "modern" tv I ever bought was a 40" Sony Wega in 2004. Paid $2500 for it. It was enormous compared to current flat screens because it was about 10" deep and weighed like 50lbs.  Didn't have any hdmi ports, but it did have any funky looking input that looked like an old serial port. Serial port on one end of the cable plugged into the TV,  hdmi on the other end of the cable for the dtv box. Then it had about 6 or 7 av cable ports and a coax jack. The struggle was real. Great tv though. Still has a great picture, but I don't have anywhere to put it so it sits in the attic. Gonna take it to my dad in NC one of these days. He still has a 30some inch tv from 1992.

My current tv is a Sammy 55" plasma 3d tv that I paid $699 for 2 years ago. I could probably get the same tv today for about $500 but I'm not sweating that.

smeags

The set I replaced was a Samsung 50 DLP. I was late to the technology and the long-term reviews I saw indicated they tv's were known to go early so I figure getting 12yrs was pretty good.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on December 02, 2015, 08:51:08 AM
It is amazing how cheap the tv's are now compared to just 5 years ago.  Sus probably paid 5k for that plasma back in the day.

At least that much (I forget the actual price, but it was steep). I knew I was on the bleeding edge, though. No big box stores had 'em yet - only the higher-end electronics places. You know, the ones that don't exist any more.

I'm amused that my friends have gone through at least three generations of TVs while I've had this one. I figure that over the long run, the cost has been a wash.

Seabiscuit36

My first big tv purchase was a SONY SXRD 50inch, 4k at Tweeter.  Loved that tv, and it had all kinds of problems due to overheating of the way it projected the screen. 

My dad dropped somewhere in the 6 range for a Mitsubishi Diamond series tv back in 96 or 97.  Didnt even have HD offered on tv.  Had to drive from Middletown, DE to the Deptford Mall to Bryn Mahr Stereo since they had the only model in the tri state area.  At that time Plasmas were going for 10k. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Bought a Harmony 650 remote a couple years ago and thought it was awesome, but a few of the buttons stopped working lately. Was going to replace it with a new 650, but went with this one instead.

I think dropping $200 on a remote is insane, but at the same time I feel pretty good about it.

Touch screen along with a few buttons for commonly used commands. But if the buttons take a dump, I can always add them to the touchscreen.

smeags

Remember the days when "we" were the tv remotes for our parents ?

Good times

SunMo

Quote from: smeags on January 06, 2016, 01:48:57 PM

Good times

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Good times

No, you old coot, I don't remember.  The tv we had when I was a kid had a remote because we weren't still fighting in Korea. 

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 06, 2016, 02:19:51 PM

Good times

No, you old coot, I don't remember.  The tv we had when I was a kid had a remote because we weren't still fighting in Korea.

:-D

Im pretty sure the Korean was wasn't fought in the 70's capt crunch.

PhillyPhreak54

My aunt and uncle didn't have cable until the kids went out and all they had were the local channels

No remote

Had to change manually