Belichick Orders Pittsburgh Trainer Off Field

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 27, 2005, 03:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteBelichick orders Steelers trainer away
Associated Press
Posted: 5 hours ago         

PITTSBURGH (AP) - New England coach Bill Belichick ordered Pittsburgh Steelers trainer John Norwig off the field when Norwig asked if medical help was needed for injured Patriots tackle Matt Light during Sunday's game.

As Light lay on the Heinz Field turf with an apparently serious right leg injury during the second quarter of New England's 23-20 victory, Norwig came onto the field to offer help.

That prompted Belichick, who cautiously guards all injury information, to emphatically order the trainer off the field. Light later left the stadium with a cast on his leg.

NFL trainers normally treat only their own players but will offer their assistance during a serious injury, especially when it involves a visiting team player. Most teams have larger medical staffs for home games than for road games.

Belichick also may have been upset because Steelers coach Bill Cowher went onto the field to offer condolences to Patriots safety Rodney Harrison after he badly injured a knee earlier in the game. Harrison is expected to miss the rest of the season with a torn left knee ligament.

Jeez, Bill. Overreact much?

MadMarchHare

Anyone but Reid.

T_Section224

Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

MURP

Belichick has always been like that with injuries.

JTrotter Fan

When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteSteelers Notebook: NFL trainer says Belichick's act uncommon
Wednesday, September 28, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The president of the pro football athletic trainers society expressed surprise yesterday that any NFL coach would rudely chase off a trainer offering aid to a seriously injured player on a football field.

"It's a common courtesy for the home team," said Steve Antonopulous, the trainer for the Denver Broncos who heads the NFL group.

Steelers trainer John Norwig came onto the field to offer his help Sunday when Patriots tackle Matt Light was seriously injured in the second quarter at Heinz Field. New England coach Bill Belichick went up to Norwig and rudely told him to leave, using a profanity.

"I really don't know the full extent of everything," Antonopulous said, "but I'm surprised if it occurred to any of our athletic trainers in our organization."

Antonopulous said the home trainer meets with the visiting trainer before games to determine logistics and other matters -- where the X-ray room is, where the paramedics are located on the field, ambulances, etc.

"If a player goes down on the field and is there for a little bit or has a recognizable serious injury, the home trainer will go to that area of the field to offer his assistance," Antonopulous said. "That's a common courtesy. That's something each of us does. It helps the situation as it is on the field to expedite the medical care of the individual -- expedites getting the cart on the field, paramedics if needed, if they need to be transported off the field."

Antonopulous said he has been in the business for 30 years and never experienced anything like Norwig faced from Belichick.

"No, sir, it's actually opposite of that," he said, noting the opposing coach appreciates the medical aid.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The new-era Pats might just keep their undefeated playoff streak alive this year, by missing altogether.

I wouldn't bet on it, but Belicheck appears to have lost his mind.

Wingspan

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 28, 2005, 09:55:11 AM
The new-era Pats might just keep their undefeated playoff streak alive this year, by missing altogether.

I wouldn't bet on it, but Belicheck appears to have lost his mind.

thats how they kept the streak alive in 2001
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Diomedes

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 28, 2005, 09:55:11 AMI wouldn't bet on it, but Belicheck appears to have lost his mind.

You might be right.  His wife thought so, and ditched him.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles 3x

Maybe he refered to his wife like he did to Light. I found his choice of words very interesting. He told Norwig to "get away from my f-ing player". If I was light I would wonder why he didn't say,  Get the f away from my player. A small difference in the wording but a big difference in the meaning.
member since Aug. 21, 03. I am the KING of the Lurking Bastiches!!

Bigskinbauer

can't argue with a man that has won 3 super bowls.   there are only two in the league right now ;)

Really if he doesn't want the other team knowing what is the big deal, it is just that he cursed him off the field, otherwise he has won 3 in the past 4 years he knows what he is doing
GO TERPS

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Bigskinbauer on September 28, 2005, 08:02:51 PM
can't argue with a man that has won 3 super bowls.   there are only two in the league right now ;)

Really if he doesn't want the other team knowing what is the big deal, it is just that he cursed him off the field, otherwise he has won 3 in the past 4 years he knows what he is doing

One thing is for sure, you're a homo.  :boo
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Bigskinbauer

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 28, 2005, 09:05:46 PM

One thing is for sure, you're a homo.  :boo

You're just bitter
GO TERPS

QB Eagles

And only one who isn't senile!