Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Farg man, that sucks.  Is it treatable (within your means)?  One of my best friends has a husky that they just started on chemo. Not sure what type of cancer the dog has but they dropped like $1500 on the treatment. Their kids were probably going to go to community college anyway so I guess they can afford it. 

Diomedes

all from the same breeder?  maybe consider getting a mongrel next time, rather than an inbreed?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Good luck with that SB. The Golden Lab I had growing up had cancer, we paid for treatment and he lived another 5 years.

Seabiscuit36

My doc says this type of Lymphoma isnt worth Chemo.  We may get a year more out of it, but quality of life really comes into play.  We'll probably go with a steroid heavy treatment, but it may give us 3-6 months tops.  What sucks is he isnt showing any symptoms at all, and now knowing its all downhill from here. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

phillycrew

Got an American Bulldog from a guy PCS'ing to Alaska.  Cool dog except for the fact that the prior owner told me that she doesn't like black people  :paranoid

Diomedes

Aren't you black?  Could make for an interesting home life.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phillycrew

Quote from: Diomedes on November 22, 2010, 09:10:03 AM
Aren't you black?  Could make for an interesting home life.

Only where it counts.  My wife hates me so why not the dog?

Sgt PSN

So it looks like we're adopting a dog. There's a rescue on base that's mostly filled with dogs that the previous owner couldn't take with them to their new duty station. We put in an application 2 weeks ago and have been approved pending a home inspection. I've never heard of a shelter inspecting before you adopt but I think that's pretty cool. The only downer is that we've already bought tickets to fly to Philly for Xmas so I don't want to take him until we get back. Otherwise I'd just be pulling him out of the shelter for a couple weeks and then putting him in a kennel for 2 weeks. No need to farg with him like that.  Luckily the shelter doesn't have a problem holding him for us.

He's a 2 yr old German Sheppard/Lab mix. I think there's a little Chow in him too because his tail curls up and he has the black marks in the roof of his mouth.  Very high energy dog. This will bean adjustment but I'm looking forward to it.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Eagaholic

Are you going to the Eagles Viking game, Sarge?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Eagaholic on November 23, 2010, 10:34:11 AM

Yeah.  Still scouring the net for a good deal on tickets but I'll def be there. 

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 23, 2010, 09:42:29 AM

He's a 2 yr old German Sheppard/Lab mix. I think there's a little Chow in him too because his tail curls up and he has the black marks in the roof of his mouth.  Very high energy dog. This will bean adjustment but I'm looking forward to it.

sounds like our older dog.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagaholic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 23, 2010, 10:39:58 AM
Quote from: Eagaholic on November 23, 2010, 10:34:11 AM

Yeah.  Still scouring the net for a good deal on tickets but I'll def be there. 

Should be a fun game to watch with lots of Favre pics. I'm going, not sure but I might still be in town for the dallas game too.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 23, 2010, 09:42:29 AM
So it looks like we're adopting a dog. ......

So here's a pic of said dog. We stopped by the shelter yesterday to pay him a visit and took him for a walk. Our home inspection is set up for Dec 29 and they'll leave him with us as long as they like what they see.....which shouldnt be an issue.

lurking wierdo

Beautiful dog Sarge. Good luck with him.