Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Quote from: Tomahawk on April 09, 2011, 07:06:11 PM
Where is it leaking from? Might be as easy as tightening the fittings for the brake lines or replacing the seal where it hooks up to the booster.

The cylinder is bad, just like before. Doesn't matter, I topped it off and it's working fine now. Next week it'll be someone elses problem because it's getting traded in. I've had the same truck for 12 years.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Quote from: SD on April 11, 2011, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: Tomahawk on April 09, 2011, 07:06:11 PM
Where is it leaking from? Might be as easy as tightening the fittings for the brake lines or replacing the seal where it hooks up to the booster.

The cylinder is bad, just like before. Doesn't matter, I topped it off and it's working fine now. Next week it'll be someone elses problem because it's getting traded in. I've had the same truck for 12 years.

I don't think it's the master cylinder. When they leak, it's internal so you don't have fluid loss as it's filling itself back up. Instead you'd be able to push the pedal further because you don't have any hydraulic pressure.

If you were keeping the truck, I'd suggest first checking the pistons for disc brakes or the wheel cylinder on drums. You may want to anyway as an altruistic gesture for the sucker who buys it

SD

The pedal was hitting the floor before I filled the reservoir. The truck is getting traded in to a dealership so they can fix it.

Tomahawk

No brake juice means no pressure means full pedal travel....full or greatly increased pedal travel with brake juice means master cylinder sucks. I know you don't care, but if the dealership let's you know what's wrong with it, let me know please.

In other news, I figured out my cooling issues: stupid heater core. Rerouted the hose to bypass the heater core and she's good. Also figured out the timing/pinging issue....installed springs in the distributor for a single stage advance curve...all I had to do was switch those out for a two stage curve and she's farging golden. I hadn't been able to unleash the full power until last night; I learned I'm an excellent engine builder

Diomedes

youtube clip of burnouts, please
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Might be a while....supposed to rain starting soon through all weekend. But last night was the first time I was able to lay down rubber since replacing the 2.93 peg leg with the 3.42 posi

Diomedes

if you don't put up a video within six hours, we're through

got that? 

Tomahawk

That's awesome....the other day I told a co-worker I'm going to start finishing every sentence by shaking my fist in the air and verbally threatening "or else..."

Tomahawk

So the engine runs great but had idle issues. Rebuilt the quadrabeast again, this time drilling out the idle down channel from .05" to .055" and drilling the idle tubes from .033" to .038" and all problems are solved...no more worrying about it dieing at a stop light or putting it into neutral to prevent it from sputtering out...crazy how much a difference .005" can make

SD

Quote from: Tomahawk on April 14, 2011, 06:34:17 PM
No brake juice means no pressure means full pedal travel....full or greatly increased pedal travel with brake juice means master cylinder sucks. I know you don't care, but if the dealership let's you know what's wrong with it, let me know please.

Didn't tinker with it and sold it as is. Got $1500 for it which was more than I thought I'd get considering the plastic under the front bumper was wire tied, winshield was cracked, passenger seat didn't recline because the reclining handle broke, door ajar light stayed lit, interior light doesn't work, neither does the AC, and the tires were about 6 months from needing to be replaced. Still...it looked great because I was good at washing and waxing the truck and it had beautiful chrome rims, had the extended cab, duraliner bed liner, and had sidesteps. Had that truck for 11 years and aside from the master cylinder and a few other minor things it never gave me a day of trouble. Now I'm driving a 2004 Toyota Camry se with a moonroof. Must say it's a lot nicer ride.

Diomedes

Tomahawk

I don't care how controlled the spin is, that guy is farging nuts

Diomedes

and filthy stinking rich

SD

that was surprisingly entertaining