Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on January 13, 2011, 04:50:44 PM
the entire transmission was replaced?  are you kidding?

Is that bad? 

Rome

It isn't if it was never serviced.  Most people never even think of the transmission until they go to AAMCO complaining about it slipping out of gear.   

Whoops.  That'll be three thousand dollars, please.

Tomahawk

Yeah...you should check all your fluids at least once a month. Most trannys need the fluid checked while the engine running and at operating temperature

Sgt PSN

SD

In regards to Transmissions (because I used to work on them) you should check your owners manual to see when it should be serviced. Some will say every 30,000 others will say more.

If it's been a while since you serviced your transmission, don't bother getting it serviced or you'll do more harm then good. The reason being is heat scale deposits within the transmission form and when you get it serviced you introduce new detergients which could cause the scales to break away and farg up your components.

Quote from: Rome on January 13, 2011, 05:35:33 PM
It isn't if it was never serviced.  Most people never even think of the transmission until they go to AAMCO complaining about it slipping out of gear.   

Whoops.  That'll be three thousand dollars, please.

AAMCO is a complete ripoff. If you're in the Philly area and need a good transmission shop let me know, I can hook you up with the best and I guarantee they're much cheaper than double A MCO

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Buy it with your lucky fantasy football winnings

SD

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Anyone here have run flat tires? 

If you do, you may already know this, and like us, you may have learned the hard way:  punctured RFTs cannot be plugged/repaired.  And they cost more than twice regular tires.  Sure, they don't fail catastrophically, which is nice.  But neither do most regular tires, and especially not if they are properly maintained.

My mother had a car wreck a couple years ago and when she got back on the road, she bought car with RFTs.  In the last six months she's had to replace three tires.  With labor and shop fees, she's out almost $1,500.  Had her car been equipped with normal tires, I could have fixed all three myself (all were simple punture through the tread--no sidewall damage).

If you've got these tires, look into your car insurance fine print to see if the cost of replacing them is covered.  It would usually be under a policy that covers damage caused to the vehicle by the road, or something like that. 

Or do like us and get rid of these RFTs altogether and just stick with good radials.

smeags

Quote from: Diomedes on January 14, 2011, 07:07:56 PM
me want

not a big ford/mercury guy but i have always loved that model cougar.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on February 15, 2011, 01:37:08 PM... Had her car been equipped with normal tires, I could have fixed all three myself (all were simple punture through the tread--no sidewall damage)....

Care to share that knowledge?

Sgt PSN

Diomedes

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it