Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

that's a nice looking jeep.  i've got a 47 willy that needs pretty much total restoration sitting in my mom's barn waiting for me to retire.  when i finally do call it quits from the corps i'll probably collect unemployment for as long as i can and work on it.  most bases have auto hobby shops that have 6+ bays in them you can rent for a couple bucks an hour and an unlimited supply of tools to do just about anything you'd need to do to a vehicle.....which is nice since my current tool box for vehicles is a tire iron and jack. 

either that or i'll just have it sent down to ppindc next week so he can have it ready for me by xmas. 

Seabiscuit36

The wife has planted the seed that i can get a Jeep again, i sold my first one back in 2000.  We went to look at a CJ7 Wednesday, it was in pretty bad condition, and most likley doesnt run, i have to call the owner to check.  I want something older, so i can get antique insurance prices on it.  I'm looking for something to just do some 4wheeling in and driving on the beach, but wouldnt mind a nice weather vehicle.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Tomahawk

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 15, 2009, 12:00:39 AM
that's a nice looking jeep.  i've got a 47 willy that needs pretty much total restoration sitting in my mom's barn waiting for me to retire.  when i finally do call it quits from the corps i'll probably collect unemployment for as long as i can and work on it.  most bases have auto hobby shops that have 6+ bays in them you can rent for a couple bucks an hour and an unlimited supply of tools to do just about anything you'd need to do to a vehicle.....which is nice since my current tool box for vehicles is a tire iron and jack. 

either that or i'll just have it sent down to ppindc next week so he can have it ready for me by xmas. 

That's pretty badass. Good luck

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 15, 2009, 12:00:39 AM

Bring it. Show up with lots of beer and the Jeep. Jeeps are easy.
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on May 15, 2009, 07:00:51 AM
The wife has planted the seed that i can get a Jeep again, i sold my first one back in 2000.  We went to look at a CJ7 Wednesday, it was in pretty bad condition, and most likley doesnt run, i have to call the owner to check.  I want something older, so i can get antique insurance prices on it.  I'm looking for something to just do some 4wheeling in and driving on the beach, but wouldnt mind a nice weather vehicle.

Dude, farg a CJ-7. farg a TJ. It's impossible to not get one of the newer ones. They are cheap as shtein. And built ridiculously tough. The CJ-7s were great, but they are all almost past their prime. The rust never ends, and everyone selling them thinks they have a gem and gouges the shtein out of buyers. JP Magazine did a great article on all the different years and models, and ranked which one gave the best bang for the buck. From what I remember, anything '99 on is pretty much unbeatable.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Seabiscuit36

I love my old YJ, 94 wrangler was the first one i got.  Either way, its gotta be cheap, that Willys is out of the acceptable ranges i'm told.  I just need something that i can insure as a pleasure vehicle, if its a CJ i think i can do the conjunction of pleasure and antique.  I'm looking at all models though, with the exception of 97 and 98's, they sucked and were 90% plastic
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on May 16, 2009, 10:32:00 AM
with the exception of 97 and 98's, they sucked and were 90% plastic

that's too bad because this seems like a jeep that would be a perfect fit for you.

Seabiscuit36

LOLZ... you got me..OMG

today was a nice beach day other than the weird ass weather.  It was a blue sky on the beach, but about a half mile if that inland were huge cumulus clouds all day, it was windy as all hell, and some heavy mist off the ocean.  The beach was empty though, i still have to say, the 4runner is a beast on the beach. 

and some huge waves today

Sgt PSN

what year is your 4runner?  i can tell it's an 04 or later.  i bought mine in 98 with 19 miles on it and i've got about 165k on it now.  i just replaced the original muffler on it because it had a hole on it and i think it may need to replace the exhaust too because it's still kind of loud.....like a mitsubishi lancer with a fart can on it. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 16, 2009, 06:48:26 PM
it's still kind of loud.....like a mitsubishi lancer with a fart can on it. 

baller?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 16, 2009, 06:48:26 PM
what year is your 4runner?  i can tell it's an 04 or later.  i bought mine in 98 with 19 miles on it and i've got about 165k on it now.  i just replaced the original muffler on it because it had a hole on it and i think it may need to replace the exhaust too because it's still kind of loud.....like a mitsubishi lancer with a fart can on it. 
2008 4Runner SR5 V8, runs great on the beach now, and we'll have this thing till it dies

Sgt PSN

nice.  i farging love my 4runner.  one of the best vehicles ever made.  i'm thinking that mine will get me another 2 or 3 good years before it starts becoming more expensive to maintain than what it's worth and that i'll be shopping for a new ride.  i think i'm going to go with a truck though rather than and suv.  either a tundra, ram or f-150.  definitely going to have a king cab though to make room for the kiddies.  of course, the economy and gas prices are going to play a huge role in that decision.  and if things don't turn around 2 or 3 years from now then i might be driving a friggin prius. 

i'd totally rock this thing though.....after i had the ghey flames removed or covered up.

Seabiscuit36

i did a search on thursday and found military surplus hummers for 7k, that would be bad ass.  Only problem is to get an oil change on a H1 it costs something like 300 bucks. 

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions_jeephmmwv.php3

heres some stuff, im sure Sarge could find some they are getting rid of

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on May 17, 2009, 07:59:43 PM
i did a search on thursday and found military surplus hummers for 7k, that would be bad ass.  Only problem is to get an oil change on a H1 it costs something like 300 bucks. 

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions_jeephmmwv.php3

heres some stuff, im sure Sarge could find some they are getting rid of

yeah, it's not too hard to find old military hummers on the cheap.  i know a couple of guys who have bought them and i don't think any of them paid more than 2 or 3 grand for them.  the problem with military hummers though is that they don't have an ignition.  they all have push button starters in them.  obviously it would be a cheap and easy fix, but farg that.  i'm too lazy.  not to mention that they don't have a stereo or a/c either.