Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

you'll be so cool..you and ten hundred thousand other Harley fools
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

Quote from: Diomedes on August 24, 2008, 12:24:02 AM
and, wisely, is terribly uncomfortable for a passenger

Ha.

My wife said the same thing when she saw it.

The owner of the dealer called me this morning and asked me if I'd be interested in financing it.  It's 6.9% for 48 months.  I don't know, though.  I have the dough and I might just say farg it and fork it over.  Still, 6.9% for four years is good considering it's an Italian bike.

Diomedes

I wouldn't finance unless I got a rate under 5%

actually, I wouldn't finance anything short of real estate, but you get my point
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

saw on of these today driving up 95 from d.c., bad ass!

http://norcalcougarclub.com/images/Cougar0402.jpg
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Tomahawk

Man, my car has been a piece of shtein lately. The petronix blew because it's junk, but because Peoria, IL is junk too I didn't have any choice but to replace it with another unit so I'm living on borrowed time until it blows too. (if you ever want to switch from points to electronic ignition in a big block engine, I recommend staying away from petronix - they're not built to withstand the heat). When that happened it created a badass enough backfire to blow the baffle out of the muffler. I seriously thought somebody took a shot at me. A week after that, the starter quit and the generator light comes at low idle and when loaded (i.e. brakes and lights on at a stop light).

Everything except the generator issue is resolved (hopefully a new belt will be all that takes), and my new carb just came in minutes ago. It's bullshtein how whitey makes me work all day instead of letting me go install it immediately.

Tomahawk

Because apparently a Holley Reman qjet carb is built with no attention to quality, I took out, rebuilt, and reinstalled the original 1972 Rochester Quadrajet carberautor with a couple of mods suggested by the rebuild book. Unbelievable how much better a car runs when you get rid of vacuum leaks. I decided only suckers need choke so I left most of the assembly off (had to leave the vacuum diaphragm for correct secondary air valve operation).

It was pretty cool though as it was the first time I've done anything close to that intricate. yay me

Diomedes

link

QuoteA derelict drag car without engine or transmission has turned out to be one of the original six Pontiac Factory Super Duty Tempest coupes, and it fetched a surprising $226,521.63 when the 9-day eBay sale ended on November 9.

The seller bought the Harrison, Michigan car after the owner died, and bidding opened at a mere $500. Questions from buyers  - there were 71 bids in all - determined that the car had plastic windows, a race track plaque on the dash and a heavy duty rear suspension with long rods to the front of the cabin.

Research indicates it appears to be the missing Stan Antlocer racer, which was the fastest car in its class in 1963. Midway through the sale, the seller turned down an offer of $160,000 because he was worried about negative feedback, and it looked like an expensive decision when bidding stalled at $95,000 with under seven minutes to go. But a furious rally began, and $125,000 later the gavel fell at more than $226,000.

Diomedes

Tomahawk

12.64 is a pretty impressive 1/4 time, especially for a mini van.

I don't know if these are the type of Dart models you are looking for, Dio, but here you go....

http://www.diecastfast.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=DCF/CTGY/DART

Diomedes

shorebird

Heres the same highway 61 Darts on ebay

You could probably score one of the Blue or Plum Purple ones at the bottom for $60 and that would include the shipping.

PhillyPhanInDC

The dude with the caravan is Gus Mahon. He passed away awhile back after some farging idiot drilled him while he riding his motorcycle, guy in the car never stopped. I met him once or twice, nicest dude, and had that mad scientist thing going. He had a Plymouth Acclaim that was downright sick ran low 12s in street trim, the truest form of a "sleeper".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE5MYgGy8sE
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Diomedes

Just did a little googling.  Seems like a remarkable fellow.

SD_Eagle5

Any car stereo buffs? Walmart has a Sony CD player plus front and back speakers for $94. The g/f has a crappy factory radio with no CD player or clock which drives me insane when I'm driving. I was thinking of getting this as an xmas gift. Anyone know how much installation of a car stereo would be?

shorebird

It should be easy enough to install yourself, you will probably need a wire harness, and maybe a dash adapter. They are easy enough to find on ebay.

I'll say this, if you check a site like bestbuy, you probably can't buy those speakers for what your getting the whole system for.