Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Did Craftsman stop honoring their lifetime warranty on hand tools?  I took a ratchet to an Ace store which sells Craftsman and they wouldn't honor the warranty.  WTF.  That warranty is the only reason I buy Craftsman. 

If they've stopped honoring the warranty, they've lost my business forever.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

My understanding is that their warranty only applies to hand tools, unless otherwise specified with a particular tool at the time of purchase. So if it's the ratchet itself, you should be covered. If it's a socket, then probably not.

https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/warranty-information

There's a phone number on there you can call.

Sgt PSN

Come to think of it, isn't craftsman more or less a Sears brand?  If you still have a Sears nearby, then try them. Or K-Mart.

Diomedes

I'm going to call them before going there, but yes Sears is my next try.  It is a Sears brand, or was, I think they sold it to DeWalt or Black and Decker.  Several years ago they started selling through Ace Hardware stores and I assumed the warranty carried. 

Apparently not.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 12, 2017, 11:35:29 AM
My understanding is that their warranty only applies to hand tools, unless otherwise specified with a particular tool at the time of purchase. So if it's the ratchet itself, you should be covered. If it's a socket, then probably not.

All of my wrenching life I've purchased Crasftman (with a few "I'm feeling rich" forays into Snap On or Mac) and have many times replaced sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, etc. without any questions.  Bring broken tool, get replacement.  In exchange for this promise, they've had a lot of my business over more than 20 years now.

Sgt PSN

My initial gut reaction when you said you were having warranty issues was that since Sears is in trouble, Craftsman is likely is trouble too. And if they've been sold, to another company then I would definitely expect their warranty coverage to start fading....especially if they were bought by B&D.  They're like the Sharper Image of tools. 

Diomedes

It would shock me if any owner of the Craftsman brand cancelled the warranty.  That warranty IS the brand. 

Sgt PSN

Yeah, but we know how big business rolls. Even if they do maintain the warranty, I'd expect sooner or later (if not already) that the tools themselves will be of lesser quality that won't last as long. If B&D is running the show now, you'll probably get their cheaply made tools with a craftsman logo. So even if they continue to honor the warranty, you'll be getting a cheap pos as a replacement that you'll probably have to take back every few years.

PhillyPhreak54

I've heard a lot of stories about sears bucking on honoring the craftsman warranties

Cost cutting like crazy

Tomahawk

According to google, Black & Decker just bought the Craftsmen line in March. They should have a less racist name

Diomedes

Anyone here use a dashcam?

I'm in the market, would be interested in your advice.

Sgt PSN

My only real experience with dashcams were the ones that were installed on the trucks when I worked in trucking.  I will say that they were pretty good, but definitely way more expensive and invasive that what you're probably looking for. 

I don't have a dedicated dashcam, but I do have magnetic cell phone mounts on the dash boards in all 3 of our vehicles.  I have them set up so that if I did want to use my phone as a dashcam, all I have to do is turn on the camera on my phone and now I'm recording everything that's directly in front of me if my phone is mounted vertical (portrait) and a wider angel if I turn it horizontal (landscape). 

Granted, if you're looking to record 100% of the time while you're driving, then you'd probably be better off with a dedicated dashcam, but this would still be a cheaper alternative.  Not to mention that it's also 1 less piece of equipment you'd have cluttering your dash and intruding on your visibility. 

Diomedes

Sgt PSN

Jesus farg man.  I clicked on that expecting to see an old Willy's jeep or maybe a motorcycle or something.  But what revs Dio's engine?  A god damn grocery getter on steroids. 

PhillyPhreak54