The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Ray Lewis - out
Cris Carter - out
Dilfer - on his way out

Rumor is that the "fall guy" comment did CC in. He partied with some of my boys in Vegas a couple weeks ago. Just golf, dinner and the UFC fight. He obviously doesn't drink or gamble.

Rome

Oh so there's going to be less idiotic screaming on ESPN Countdown? 

Um...

Yay?

Sgt PSN

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Oh man this Byner part...wow.

ice grillin you

i know the mls is complete shtein but this is amazing to me:

womens softball sunday:

ten - ohio st (espn): 796K
alabama - cal (espn): 689K

mls sunday:

vancouver - seattle (espn): 463K
la - san francisco (fs1): 151K
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

You can't throw in an FS1 number and pretend that means anything. The rating for the MLS game on ESPN blows away most NHL games on NBCSN for instance. The king stay the king.

And for the other game, it's probably fairer to compare a game where both markets actually get ESPN.

ice grillin you

the bottom line is womens softball destroyed mls....its really more about womens softball than soccer...I didn't think womens  softball could destroy anything

moving the fs1 game to espn still doesn't get it anywhere close to 700-800k

ice grillin you

also nhl on nbcs from I can find averages 350-400k a game in the regular season.....mls on espn looks to average under 200k

MDS

you have to remember with the mls is that, in the grand scheme of things, its a crap product. the epl games do better than that. fox just added bundesliga. soccer on the whole does better than hockey, but the consuming public knows that the mls is an inferior product. but its always been in the 350k area, and like qb said, fs1 is such an afterthought for the viewers.

softball does well because its the 1 time of year its actually on. the sport is played by 10s of millions of girls. they cannot find the product outside of this month. if you combine that with the general neanderthal oklahoma/alabama fan that would watch a paint drying contest if it involved their team, you get those numbers. basically underserved audiences will come out in droves when the product they like is on. its why black tv shows do so well with black audiences, and even why the college wrestling stuff does well for espn.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on May 24, 2016, 02:11:36 PM
you have to remember with the mls is that, in the grand scheme of things, its a crap product.

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 24, 2016, 11:38:57 AM
i know the mls is complete shtein but this is amazing to me:

i remembered

MDS

we doin copa america in philly
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

PhillyPhreak54

Todd is going to wait at his house for you to come pick him up so you two can go watch the Copa America when it comes to Philadelphia.

MDS

usually i just meet them there but yes