The Booze Thread

Started by Sgt PSN, November 10, 2006, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

It is harsh, true.  But as far as this particular bottle, nothing could have been going on with the aging..it was in a glass bottle in a dark cabinet.  Not in oak.  It was no more than 3 years aged when bottled and did't gain a thing by sitting in Matilda's closet.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

Quote from: Don Ho on January 02, 2011, 02:29:31 AM
Wife took me into a cool store that specializes in wine the other night.  Opened a few years ago and just never got around to going. Place was awesome!  They also had a nice assortment of spirits.  Huge assortment of Tequila.

Can anyone recommend a good Tequila?  We just finished a bottle of Silver Patron.  I'd like to try something different.    

Don, try the Patron anejo. It has great flavor and is quite a bit different than the silver which isn't aged. Put it in the freezer and it is hard to find a smoother liquor.

For Philly folks, I ran into a guy over the holidays at the state store who is the head bartender at a Mexican place that just opened in Wayne off the Blue Route. Don't remember the name but can probably google it. He said they now have 75 tequilas and should be getting another 75 over the next few weeks. Also stumbled upon a place in Horsham with the same, and a great chicken mole' (on Horsham road across from Gavins sports bar). Stumbled back out a couple of hours later. Recommended if anyone is ever in the area and tequila questing.

In fact Don, if you want to try this place I can arrange for you to stay at my P's place there and I'll stay at your place in Hawaii. Deal?  

PoopyfaceMcGee

Seabiscuit36

Philly tried this or NJ not to long ago.  It'll fail this time around, but in time it will be the norm.  farging pansys
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

QuoteFor light to moderate drinkers, the tax would amount to only $10.83 per year.

These are the real pansies.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote"Alcohol excise tax is a win-win for the state. They provide much needed revenue, and reduce alcohol consumption and related problems," said David Jernigan, Johns Hopkins professor.

Anybody else miss the logic here?

phattymatty

pretty sure he came to the retarded conclusion that alcoholics will not buy booze if they have to pay an extra dime.

Seabiscuit36

He's a NERD, thats the logic. 

Actually here's his writeup.  He seems to have a motivation
http://faculty.jhsph.edu/default.cfm?faculty_id=2015
QuoteResearch and Professional Experience

Dr. Jernigan's work has focused on public health practice with a particular interest in alcohol policy. He has written about and worked extensively in the field of media advocacy, the strategic use of the mass media to influence public health policy. He has also served as an adviser to the World Health Organization and the World Bank on the role of alcohol in health and development.

Dr. Jernigan is the Director of the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and in that capacity pioneers in new forms of surveillance of the levels of risk posed to young people by exposure to alcohol advertising.
Keywords

Alcohol, alcohol policy, globalization, media, advocacy, media advocacy, obesity, youth
Honors and Awards

Addiction Book Prize, 2004, for Alcohol in Developing Societies (co-author).

National Citation of Merit Award, American Council on Alcohol Problems, 1996.

Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of California at Berkeley Department of Sociology, 1983-84.
Selected Publications

Jernigan, D. H., Ross, C. Monitoring youth exposure to advertising on television: The devil is in the details. Journal of Public Affairs, in press.

Schwartz, M.B., Ross, C., Harris, J., Jernigan, D., Siegel, M., Ostroff, J., Brownell, K.D. Cereal industry pledges to self-regulate advertising to youth: Will they improve the marketing landscape? Journal of Public Health Policy, in press.

King, C., Siegel, M., Jernigan, D., Wulach, L., Ross, C., Dixon, K., Ostroff, J. Adolescent exposure to alcohol advertising in magazines: An evaluation of advertising placement in relation to youth readership. Journal of Adolescent Health, 45(6), 626-633, 2009.

Jernigan, D. The extent of global alcohol marketing and its impact on youth. Contemporary Drug Problems, in press.

Chung, P.J., Garfield, C.F., Elliott, M.N., Ostroff, J., Ross, C., Jernigan, D.H., Vestal, K.D., Schuster, M.A., Alcohol advertising and age 12-20 viewership on cable television. American Journal of Public Health, 99(10), 1-8, 2009.

Jernigan, D. The global alcohol industry: an overview. Addiction 104 (Supppl. 1): 6-12, 2009.

Siegel, M., King, C., Ostroff, J., Ross, C., Dixon, K., Jernigan, D. Comment: Alcohol advertising in magazines and youth readership: Are youths disproportionately exposed? Contemporary Economic Policy 26(3): 482–492, 2008.

Jernigan, D., Ostroff, J., Ross, C., Naimi, T., Brewer, R. Youth exposure to alcohol advertising in magazines – United States, 2001-2005. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 56(30): 763-767, 2007.

Jernigan, D., Ostroff, J., Ross, C., Naimi, T., Brewer, R. Youth exposure to alcohol advertising on Radio – United States, June-August 2004. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 55(34): 937-940, 2006.

Jernigan, D., Obot, I. Thirsting for the African market. African Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies 5(1): 57-70, 2006.

Jernigan, D., Ostroff, J., Ross, C. Alcohol advertising and youth: a measured approach. Journal of Public Health Policy, 26(3):312-325, 2005.

Jernigan, D., Ostroff, J., Ross, C., O'Hara, J. Gender differences in adolescent exposure to alcohol advertising in magazines. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 158:629-634, 2004.

Ashe, M., Jernigan, D., Kline, R., Galaz, R. Land use planning and the control of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and fast food restaurants. American Journal of Public Health, 93(9):1404-1408, 2003.

Rehm, J., Room, R., Monteiro, M., Gmel, G., Graham, K., Rehn, N., Sempos, C.T., Jernigan, D. Alcohol as a risk factor for global burden of disease. European Addiction Research, 9(4):157-164, 2003.

Rehm, J., Rehn, N., Room, R., Monteiro, M., Gmel, G., Jernigan, D., Frick, U. The global distribution and average volume of alcohol consumption and patterns of drinking. European Addiction Research, 9(4):147-156, 2003. Room, R., Graham, K., Rehm, J., Jernigan, D., Monteiro, M. Drinking and its burden in a global perspective: policy considerations and options. European Addiction Research, 9(4):165-175, 2003.

Mosher, J., Jernigan, D. Making the link: a public health approach to preventing alcohol-related violence and crime. Journal of Substance Use, 6(4):273-289, 2001.

Rehm, J., Monteiro, M., Room, R., Gmel, G., Jernigan, D., Frick, U., Graham, K., Steps towards constructing a global comparative risk analysis for alcohol consumption: determining indicators and empirical weights for patterns of drinking, deciding about theoretical minimum, and dealing with different consequences. European Addiction Research 7(3):138-147, 2001.

Jernigan, D., Applying commodity chain analysis to changing modes of alcohol supply in a developing country. Addiction 95 supplement 4:465-475, 2000.

Room, R., Jernigan, D., The ambiguous role of alcohol in economic and social development. Addiction 95 supplement 4:523-535, 2000.

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: phattymatty on January 06, 2011, 11:57:50 AM
pretty sure he came to the retarded conclusion that alcoholics will not buy booze if they have to pay an extra dime.

And somehow that will increase revenue.

ice grillin you

so i went out in this gutter bar last night in a tiny town in upstate ny and their special was a bottle of beer and shot of jameson for $3

holy farging shtein did i get plastered...if i were to get pulled over right this second id clock at least a dui if not dwi

i dont know what i love more right now MA or my liver helmet
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

ice grillin you

it might be a nice place to visit but i wouldnt wanna liver there
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagaholic

Dillen

where in NY igy, upstate NY is unfortunately kind of my thing

smeags

Quote from: Eagaholic on January 06, 2011, 01:01:05 AM
Quote from: Don Ho on January 02, 2011, 02:29:31 AM
Wife took me into a cool store that specializes in wine the other night.  Opened a few years ago and just never got around to going. Place was awesome!  They also had a nice assortment of spirits.  Huge assortment of Tequila.

Can anyone recommend a good Tequila?  We just finished a bottle of Silver Patron.  I'd like to try something different.    

Don, try the Patron anejo. It has great flavor and is quite a bit different than the silver which isn't aged. Put it in the freezer and it is hard to find a smoother liquor.

For Philly folks, I ran into a guy over the holidays at the state store who is the head bartender at a Mexican place that just opened in Wayne off the Blue Route. Don't remember the name but can probably google it. He said they now have 75 tequilas and should be getting another 75 over the next few weeks. Also stumbled upon a place in Horsham with the same, and a great chicken mole' (on Horsham road across from Gavins sports bar). Stumbled back out a couple of hours later. Recommended if anyone is ever in the area and tequila questing.

In fact Don, if you want to try this place I can arrange for you to stay at my P's place there and I'll stay at your place in Hawaii. Deal?  

i believe that is the matador but its actually on rt 30 next to the boathouse. 
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it