2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: FastFreddie on June 01, 2008, 03:45:38 PM
It was nice to see Gordon do a complete 180 after Rollins gave him a quick pep talk.  I thought we were going to see full-scale implosion in the 8th.

RECAP

QuoteBut there was a moment shortly after Burrell's big hit that figured almost as large in the Phils' ninth win in 12 games, and if you blinked you might have missed it.

Reliever Tom Gordon, called upon to protect the lead in the eighth, walked the first batter he faced, pinch-hitter Luis Gonzalez, on five pitches, and the crowd began to get loud and antsy.

Gordon then threw two straight balls to dangerous Hanley Ramirez, the potential tying run.

That was enough for Jimmy Rollins, who trotted in from shortstop and let Gordon have it.

"He got on my ass," Gordon said. "He said, 'What the heck are you doing? Throw strikes. Babe Ruth's dead.' "

Rollins' little pep talk worked. Gordon turned into a different pitcher. He threw three straight fastballs and struck out Ramirez. He then retired Jeremy Hermida on a pop-up and Jorge Cantu on a fly ball to make everyone in the ballpark breathe easier.

M.  V.  P.

Yeah, so Gordon made up the exact quote, but still...

ice grillin you

Quote from: Wingspan on June 01, 2008, 03:44:31 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 01, 2008, 03:08:28 PM
and they have plenty of talent to get a frontline pitcher...their farm system as a whole is weak but they have enough at the top end to easily get it done...it really all comes down to be willing to spend the money

No, they actually don't.

And before you tell me I am wrong again....give me 3 top 50 prospects (in baseball) the phils have to use as trade bait?

Their minor leagues suck.

carrasco cardenas and maybe another lower level guy would easily get a frontline starter....their farm system sucks because it has terrible depth...every team in the majors has a few top prospects its the depth that seperates the good systems from the bad

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

The Phils don't have any prospects in the top 50, and Carrasco is the only one in the top 100.  Cardenas and Savery could be prospects, but nobody is trading for A-level players because they're unproven...

MDS

yo easy lay off igy dude knows his minor league baseball prospect trade value like he knows the early 90's rap scene
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: BigEd76 on June 02, 2008, 11:03:36 AM
The Phils don't have any prospects in the top 50, and Carrasco is the only one in the top 100.  Cardenas and Savery could be prospects, but nobody is trading for A-level players because they're unproven...

Holy shtein, that is bleak.  Not only for this year's trade potential but for years and years to come.

ice grillin you

carrasco is in the top 50 of several rankings but even if you think hes top 100 thats still huge...him and cardenas or savery or marson could easily be packaged for a starter...

again a lack of talent isnt the problem its whether the phils are willing to pull the trigger and with them finally having an outstanding bullpen improving the starting pitching could get you a world series this year...

i say could because a lot can happen btwn now and the deadline but if nothing much changes before then then the phils can trade their entire minor league organization for all i care

MDS

id do that for sabathia if hes out there. probably not sheets, hes never quite healthy. other than that, this supposed igy trade doesnt exist because there wont be more front line starters available.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

phils will get to see the reds other phenom this series on thursday

tonight - arroro vs kendrick
tues - harang vs eaton
wed - volquez vs myers
thurs - bailey vs hamels

Wingspan

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 02, 2008, 01:03:16 PM
carrasco is in the top 50 of several rankings but even if you think hes top 100 thats still huge...him and cardenas or savery or marson could easily be packaged for a starter...

They would have to be packaged together. And even that is not going to be enough to get a top of the line starter.

And if you're putting this together for a starter, you might as well just bring up Carrasco. Otherwise you're just renting a player until the end of the season. Maybe a season and a half... again, you could just bring up Carrasco.

Carrasco and a minor impact player like Jayson Werth could probably get you Ben Sheets, but that's a stupid trade.

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 02, 2008, 01:03:16 PM
again a lack of talent isnt the problem its whether the phils are willing to pull the trigger and with them finally having an outstanding bullpen improving the starting pitching could get you a world series this year...

No...lack of talent is the problem now. Unless you're talking blockbuster deal that includes Howard or a top tier guy from the major league roster. The phils have shown they are willing to do the deal...(look at the garcia deal). The minors are stripped of any legit prospects. There's 1 guy that is on some top 50 rankings.  And another 1 or two in single A ball that sometimes crack a top 100 list? Color me not impressed.

You want another starter? (and really, who doesn't see this need)...you have to hope for a resurgence out of Benson (not likely)...or than an AL team that is stacked in their starting rotation that will take Burrell (and to have Burrell waive his NTC). (slightly less unlikely)

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

ill rent a player anyday to win a world series NOW which is something carrasco cannot bring this year

Rome

I think it's funny you guys are criticizing a farm system that has produced the past two league MVP's and another player who's the clear front runner this year.

PhillyPhreak54

Benson shut down again tonight in Clearwater. Biceps tightness again.

So yeah, about trading for a starter....

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 02, 2008, 06:21:03 PM
I think it's funny you guys are criticizing a farm system that has produced the past two league MVP's and another player who's the clear front runner this year.

two different things...its def true that the system produced a ton on the current team but its also true that theyve had more than enough years to replenish it and they havent done a good job of that

ice grillin you