Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Saw this last weekend at a car show.

Dream.  Car.

Sgt PSN

Rome

Excellent input.  Thanks.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

needless to say, the K75s I had did not look half so cool
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Other than basic maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, air filter, change the battery, etc), I've never done too much work on my vehicles. If the check engine light came on, i would just take it to the shop. So the light came on in my Sequoia a few days ago and since Squaw works at NAPA, we get everything at cost, which is up to 40% less than retail price. So I bought a basic diognastic scanner for $40.  I figured if nothing else, I would know what's wrong with the vehicle before taking it to the mechanic and would know if they are bsing me.

3 codes came back, all for the evap system.  So I checked the gas cap and found the seal to be a little hard and had a really tiny crack in it. New gas cap cost $30. But the light didn't go off. So I googled the codes and found that the next common problem was the evap line.  Found the line and it was a little loose.  Spent $3 on a pack of hose clamps and clamped it in. Light went out.

So I spent a total of $73 and fixed the problem. That's probably how much a mechanic would charge just to run a diognastic and tell me what's wrong. I'm guessing all together the bill would have been $150+ to do work that literally took me less than 5 min total. 

Learning has occured.

Tomahawk

The forty bones for the diagnostic tool (you're a tool) doesn't really count unless you're never going to use it again

Sgt PSN

So I'm a tool for spending $40 to find out what the problem was instead of taking it to a mechanic and having them charge me anywhere between $50-100 to do the same thing?

Does not compute.

Tomahawk

No, that was a smart purchase. You're just a tool...this isn't rocket surgery

Sgt PSN

Thanks for clearing that up, buddy.

Seabiscuit36

I changed my oil for the first time on Thursday and it took all of 20 minutes.  WTF have I been waiting for. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

the fact that someone as MA as you just changed their oil for the first time fascinates me
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

I'm shocked you looked in this thread......#whitepeople
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

I don't see the point of DIY when it comes to routine maintenance.  I can easily change it myself, but why bother?  For $20 I can have someone do it for me.

Seabiscuit36

I've always been the same way, but it took an hour and a half wait for me to say F it.   Youtube, and my buddy's jacks and i was good to go.  Took me 35 minutes to do my first oilchange, and that was with a lot of hesitation.  I can probably get it down to 12 minutes, save the 20 and spend that on a 30pack. #winnerwinnerchickendinner