Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2010, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on May 06, 2010, 08:53:17 PM
minus the typos.

one of the amazing things about the post is how quickly he cranked it out...bound to be some typos

It took me less than ten minutes to read it and identified at least half a dozen typos. Are you suggesting that he didn't have ten minutes to reread what he wrote and make some basic corrections? No, I'm sure you aren't. Rather you're just accepting that journalism is such a lazy profession these days, and that we as a society care so little about effective communication, that basic levels of self-editing aren't even required for people whose job it is to write.

It's a great article, but there's no excuse for professional writers to be so sloppy. It's embarrassing.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

its a blog entry not a newspaper...thats hardly journalism...he put that out less than two hours after the news broke of his death...its akin to the difference btwn me writing a post on CF vs. writing a term paper

trust me joe pos is the best sportswriter in the country and if he wanted to bust out an actual article it would dominate...his book on buck oneil is a must read...and i havent read it cause it doesnt interest me but my pops read his book on the big red machine and said its one of the three best baseball books hes ever read....dook is illy

Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 07, 2010, 06:06:45 AM

Great find, IGY.

it wasnt so much as a find...as i read joe pos all the time...if you arent familiar with him i highly recommend...hes awesome
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

At least he didn't cite Twitter as a source.

Sgt PSN

I think what Rusty is getting at is that since the guy is a professional writer, then you would think that he would actually take the art of writing a little more seriously and not "publish" something with so many simple and basic mistakes.  Sure, the article wasn't for a major publication and he doesn't get paid for the things he posts on his blog but when you do something professionally you should always try and hold yourself to the same standard even if you're not getting paid for it.  It'd be like a lawyer doing a half assed job on some pro bono work.

It's not like this guy was trying to report some breaking news and wanted to be the first person to get it out there.  He was just telling a story.  So would it really matter if he took an extra 10 or 15 minutes to run spell check and do some proof reading?  It's not like the story would have died (pun not intended) and everyone would have lost interest if he took the time to get the little things right.   

charlie

Why do you summarize everything?

rjs246

Exactly, Sarge. But effective use of the English language is so devalued right now, even by its most dependent practitioners, that I don't know why I'm even surprised.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

the guy doesnt care...neither does the rest of the world...except you two

uptight douchey proof reading is a much larger problem than blog posts with typos

read the shtein
enjoy the shtein
move on to more important things

Sgt PSN

Quote from: charlie on May 07, 2010, 09:25:27 AM
Why do you summarize everything?

Because IGY can't read between the lines.   Plus, it's a sometimes good/sometimes bad habit I've picked up over 15 years in the Marines and dealing with young, stupid, immature kids who are doing a job that can affect the lives of the 30 or 40 people around them, and to effectively communicate with them, I often need to go into great detail to make sure they get it and don't farg up.

Quote from: rjs246 on May 07, 2010, 09:28:52 AM
Exactly, Sarge. But effective use of the English language is so devalued right now, even by its most dependent practitioners, that I don't know why I'm even surprised.

I kno, rite?  I dnt get it. 

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 07, 2010, 09:40:53 AM
uptight douchey proof reading is a much larger problem than blog posts with typos

And there you have it. Caring about communication skills, and god-forbid expecting professional communicators to care about their medium, is douchey. Blogging is more important.

Super.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

It's completely surprising that someone with a screen name like "ice grillin you" wouldn't care about communicating in proper English.

He also has no discernible taste in women, food or entertainment and thinks reading is for chumps.

Yes, completely surprising, all of this...

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on May 07, 2010, 09:50:34 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 07, 2010, 09:40:53 AM

And there you have it. Caring about communication skills, and god-forbid expecting professional communicators to care about their medium, is douchey. Blogging is more important.

Super.

shtein that post communicated thru me...i just find it unfathomable how one of the things you could take from it would be a typo

MDS

every newspaper ever printed has typos
books have typos
movies and tv shows have continuity errors
humanity created munson

it would be nice if everything was perfect, but it aint.

its routine to have another set of eyes on a story. im obviously quite prone to brain farts, so i meticulously edit my stories. sometimes stuff gets through and its on my editor to catch it. sometimes my editor edits in an error. when you dont have an editor, like that informal blog post, then its on the writer to self-edit. thats where a lot of mistakes come in (look at any blog post ever).

or, you could call the protectors of english, perfection and responsibility and have them do it for you. 

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Let's not pretend like you do anything meticulously.

Let them eat bootstraps.