80's baseball players

Started by DH, May 18, 2006, 05:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Die-Hard on May 18, 2006, 06:51:39 PM
Good find Phreak. I stand corrected.

Good piece of trivia...What else is Torres famous for?

Ooooh..good one. I am not sure. I know he was traded for Dock Ellis though. Ellis was the guy who claimed he threw a no-no while high on LSD.

He also threw 2 CG's in the '77 WS too. Game 6 when Reggie hit his 3 HRs, Torres was the winning pitcher.

DH

:-D @ Dock Ellis

Torres gave up the HR to Bucky bleeping Dent.

PhillyPhreak54

Kevin Tapani
Scott Erickson
Freddie Tolliver
Tim Crews
Steve Olin (he was the guy who died in the boating accident in ST...Crews was hurt too)
Chris Sabo (nice goggles, dooshbag)
Mike Schooler
Jim Lindeman
Jim Vatcher
Ron Jones
Randy Ready
Steve Lake
Chris James
Savin' Joe Boever

And one of my favorite Phillies ever, yes I am serious, ...

Ricky Jordan!

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Die-Hard on May 18, 2006, 07:03:54 PM
:-D @ Dock Ellis

Torres gave up the HR to Bucky bleeping Dent.

No shtein?

Nice question. I have filed that one away in my memory for later use. :yay

DH

Didnt Crews die w/ Olin?

Bobby Ojeda was the guy who was hurt but survived...then he cut part of his finger off in a gardening accident. :o

I liked Ricky Jordan too. Heres a random thought. Remember Wes Chamberlain? How come when the PA announcer used to announce him at the Vet he would pause for a good 5 seconds between first and last name?   ???

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 18, 2006, 06:40:28 PM
These threads are great...brings back memories of me sifting through my baseball cards when I was a kid...

Damon Berryhill

I swear I had like 80 Damon Berryhill cards.  I'd buy packs of 12 cards, and 3 of them would be Damon Berryhill.

DH

Jeff Treadway
Vance Law (big-ass glasses)
Dan Quisenberry
Frank White
Danny Heap
Rafael Santana
Oddibe McDowell (Great name  :-D)
Dick Schofield
Kelly Gruber
Duane Ward
Jim Deshaies
Charlie Kerfeld

PoopyfaceMcGee

bow-legged Willie farging McGee

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Die-Hard on May 18, 2006, 07:16:50 PM
Didnt Crews die w/ Olin?

Bobby Ojeda was the guy who was hurt but survived...then he cut part of his finger off in a gardening accident. :o

I liked Ricky Jordan too. Heres a random thought. Remember Wes Chamberlain? How come when the PA announcer used to announce him at the Vet he would pause for a good 5 seconds between first and last name?   ???

Yeah, I think Crews did die too. Bobby O got his head cut up pretty bad.

I do remember Wes Chamberlain very well. I remember Lee Thomas bragging that he stole him from the Pirates. Not sure of the exact error on PIT's part, but they made a paperwork mistake and Wes was on waivers or something like that and Thomas scooped him up.

Louie Meadows and Wes also got mixed up by the 1989 Topps set too. I believe Meadows was pictured on the card but Wes' name was on there.

And Wes about knocked himself out after Mitch struck out Bill Pecota to win the NLCS. He slammed his head on the dugout roof running out to the field and was almost out cold.

Dan Baker is the Phils PA guy (Eagles too) he likes the dramatic pause. He used to do it with Mariano Duncan too.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: FFatPatt on May 18, 2006, 07:22:11 PM
bow-legged Willie farging McGee

Another candidate for GCobb's all ugly squad.

Willie McGee, Chris Kaman, Derrick Turnbow and  Tyrone Hill are 4 of my starting 5 with maybe Alien Cassel rounding it out.

DH

This went beyond the dramatic pause though. I thought he was boys w/ Wes and decided he didnt have to use his last name. Baker is awesome though. I'll never forget in the divisional playoff game against the Bucs when he screamed "Pittman fumbles!" before the play was over.  :yay

PhillyPhreak54

Maybe Dan was sharing a bottle of Old Granddad with Harry K and couldnt say CHAMBERLAIN? :D

Ron Jones, who I mentioned earlier, was a victim of The Turf. He tore his knee up pretty bad and then hurt it again at Shea, I believe. He was a damn good hitter. My HS baseball coach used to talk about "this kid years ago I saw in Seguin Texas who the Phillies drafted. Could rake the ball like no one". It was Ron Jones.

Remember Dave Dravecky? Remember when his arm snapped when he was pitching? Nasty. It also happened to Tom Browning and Tony Saunders (all LHP's).

DH

It happened to Dravecky twice. I think Saunders twice also. Nasty stuff. The shtein just popped right off.

That link you posted before about injuries reminded me of Bryce Florie. He got farged up real bad.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yeah, Dravecky ended up finding out he had cancer.  Then, he made a comeback.  Then, the cancer made a comeback.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Die-Hard on May 18, 2006, 07:42:17 PM
It happened to Dravecky twice. I think Saunders twice also. Nasty stuff. The shtein just popped right off.

That link you posted before about injuries reminded me of Bryce Florie. He got farged up real bad.

I remember that. There was another Red Sox pitcher who got nailed in the melon too. I think his name was Jeff Gray or something like that. He had an anuerysm from it, I think.

Norm Charlton got smoked when he was a Phillie too. I think they were playing the Pads and it was the 4th of July weekend at the Vet in 1997ish.