Heckert Promoted to Eagles GM

Started by Beermonkey, January 02, 2006, 07:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beermonkey

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214884

QuoteThe same day Eagles vice president of personnel Tom Heckert Jr. was supposed to head to Minnesota for an interview, Philly stepped up for the block.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Eagles signed Heckert to become the team's new general manager Monday. Heckert got a new deal with the promotion and some new duties along with his new job title. The 38-year-old Heckert had served as the team's head of personnel for the past few years and was the Vikings' top choice to head up its personnel department. But after the Vikings asked for permission to interview Heckert on Sunday night, the Birds stepped up in order to convince him to stay.
Minnesota, however, was not left without an Eagles employee flying out to interview. FOXSports.com also learned that offensive coordinator Brad Childress flew to the Twin Cities on Monday afternoon and will be the first interview for Mike Tice's old job.

Childress will also interview in Green Bay and Houston this week and possibly New Orleans.

Heckert is considered one of the bright young football people in the NFL and has been a hot GM candidate the last two years. He joined the Eagles as the club's director of player personnel in May 2001, after a 10-year stint as a member of the Miami Dolphins player personnel department. He was then promoted to a vice-president position and now gets the coveted general manager's title.

BigEd76

PhillyPhreak54

That's what I'm wondering, Ed. Maybe Mr. NCC can enlighten us? :paranoid

I would like to see him be coach only.

BigEd76

PE.com

Quoteworking closely with Reid in all player personnel matters while managing the player personnel department, which includes both college and pro scouting.

hmm

PhillyPhreak54

For what it's worth....

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=318489

This is from "SEC627" on the EMB and he posted this before the stuff became public in Spads' forum...

Quotethat Tom Hecket was called back from his trip to MN to meet with Lurie, Banner and Reid. Tom will be the new GM, Andy will coach, both will report to Lurie and Banner is out. Banner will keep his title and deal only with cap issues but no more contracts.

Apparently, there are major issues between Tom and Joe but Andy loves Tom and wanted him to stay. Joe caused problems so he is out. Gold standard have some tarnish on it?

Dave, comments?

QuoteThere is much more to the story. It will be revealed in the coming days.

Basically. Joe will give Tom and Andy a number to work with but Joe will not deal with the agent or the player. Joe had caused some problems with scouts, agents, players, etc and it is time for him to step back away from the football operations.

It is a good thing...

Interesting take on Banner, who has been known to drop the F=Bomb towards agents....

Beermonkey

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 02, 2006, 08:08:53 PM
That's what I'm wondering, Ed. Maybe Mr. NCC can enlighten us? :paranoid

I would like to see him be coach only.

That seems to be the way it's going.

I guess that whole Banner/Heckert animosity wasn't as big as reported?

dis12

looks like the Birds office really do blame themselves for this season, I KNEW IT ALL ALONG.

maybe it's because Andy is only half the man he was last year (with the diet and all) :P ;D
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

Drunkmasterflex

Glad to here Banner will not be nearly as involved with the decisions.  It is nice to have cap space but not to do anything with it is crazy.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

The BIGSTUD

This is very interesting to say the least, and it brings up a few questions.

The first question is, Eagles fans for a while were very proud and maybe still are proud of having someone in Banner who could structure contacts in such a way that would put the team in great cap situations each year. After finishing 6-11, is this team ready to take the step into the other direction by spending every penny instead of spending extremely carefully and making sure there is plenty of money under the cap? Is Banner definitely not going to be structuring contracts anymore?

The second question is, was this done for any other reason other than to simply retain Heckert and cover it up with insignificant duties, or was this decision in the works before the season ended?

The third is, how if at all does this affect the type of value this team puts at certain positions? This may already have changed because of a 6-11 season anyway, but it's interesting to see if anything changes.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Magical_Retard

this offseason is going to exciting to say the least, and i think today it started off on the right foot. reid should stick coaching, and i think we have a very capable and talented GM now. banner should continue to crunch #s but its nice to know that if there are any problems in the FO we are working to fix them. as of now, im fully confident we will return to dominance next season, at least dominating the NFC.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

ice grillin you

Joe had caused some problems with scouts, agents, players

shocking  ::)

joe banner is a pompous ahole...someone who got beat up as a child...someone whos parents had to pay older kids to play with him cause kids his age thought he sucked...then he gets older and in a position of power and hes gonna eff as many people as possible as a revenge for the beatdowns he took long ago...he is now in his rightful position...keeping his head in a book of numbers and away from living breathing creatures
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

fansince61

Quote from: Philly Forever on January 02, 2006, 09:16:36 PM
This is very interesting to say the least, and it brings up a few questions.

The first question is, Eagles fans for a while were very proud and maybe still are proud of having someone in Banner who could structure contacts in such a way that would put the team in great cap situations each year. After finishing 6-11, is this team ready to take the step into the other direction by spending every penny instead of spending extremely carefully and making sure there is plenty of money under the cap? Is Banner definitely not going to be structuring contracts anymore?

The second question is, was this done for any other reason other than to simply retain Heckert and cover it up with insignificant duties, or was this decision in the works before the season ended?

The third is, how if at all does this affect the type of value this team puts at certain positions? This may already have changed because of a 6-11 season anyway, but it's interesting to see if anything changes.

Eagles were 6-10 :-D

The BIGSTUD

:-D

No idea why I said 6-11. My mistake. I thought I stepped to the bathroom but seems I stepped into the twilight zone.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

fansince61

Sounds like changes were made without any changes made :-D :-D :-D

SD_Eagle5

How long is Banner under contract for? I can't see him taking this demotion and obvious favoritism lightly. I'm glad Heckert was promoted but I wonder how much control Andy will really give up. I think it's just a title and things will stay the same.