This used to be our playground....

Started by PhillyGirl, January 28, 2004, 03:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MURP

Quote from: TexasEagle on March 22, 2004, 11:35:40 PM
Anyway, back to the ticket question, how hard are they to get on game days (or close there too) or should I look online well ahead of time?

i would have to say they are very hard to obtain on game days.  Sure you could always try to get a scalped ticket, but you could get burned with a counterfeit ticket... and at best you would be paying a lot more for a ticket than you should.   If i were you i would try to get a ticket for a game asap however you can.   Thats just my thoughts, maybe someone else has a different experience that could be more helpful with the ticket situation.

PhillyGirl

Very funny article on the Vet

For those too lazy to register  ;):

QuotePosted on Fri, Mar. 26, 2004
Morning Bytes | At the Vet, trouble in the rubble
By Frank Fitzpatrick
Inquirer Columnist

Though officials did their best to clean out Veterans Stadium before Sunday's spectacular implosion, they apparently left much behind. Here are some of the items contractors have located amid the rubble:

Buddy Ryan's offensive playbook, all three pages remarkably intact.

The tractor-trailer in which Curt Schilling stored his ego between starts. This large container has added historical significance as well, since it also transported Dallas Green's larynx from city to city.

The barrel of rice with which Steve Carlton used to perform his esoteric arm exercises, along with a pot of green tea, an egg roll, and some moo goo gai pan.

Seven Temple football fans, thereby establishing a new Owls attendance record at the Vet.

Mike Schmidt's emotional cocoon.

Randall Cunningham's space suit.

The mirrors Dave Hollins cracked.

Travis Lee's can of oil.

A ticket to the Eagles' 700 Level Fans Annual Fund-Raising Brawl.

Sixteen dead cats - though their deteriorated condition was such that some believe the remains may actually be Howard Eskin's fur coat.

Three unidentified patella tendons.

Vince Fumo's private box, complete with collection plate.

A set of "Joe Must Go" glasses, left over from Franklin Field days, which Tim Rossovich planned to consume for lunch the day his Eagles career ended.

The office cot, tear-stained and slightly scorched, on which Dick Vermeil burned out.

The other half of Rich Kotite's wit.

The bat with which a Phillies season-ticket holder once pummeled that moron who incessantly yells, "Everybody hits, wa-hoooo!"

Tapes of several WPEN-AM Phillies broadcasts. Never been heard.

Vet's reputation survives. Here's what the sports-humor Web site www.sportspickle.com had to say about the Vet implosion:

"After the detonations started and the stadium was reduced to rubble in just more than 60 seconds, the crowd began booing the implosion team for its inability to fell the structure in less than a minute. 'Boooooooooooooo,' yelled one obviously intoxicated spectator. 'I could have knocked that stadium down by myself in less than a minute. You suck!'

"Police arrested more than two dozen of the crowd after fans tried to rush the implosion team and beat them with metal pipes."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Nice edit, PG.   :yay

Philly.com is now a "sign-up required" site, for anyone who didn't know.  It's free, though.

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 26, 2004, 11:20:25 AM

Sixteen dead cats - though their deteriorated condition was such that some believe the remains may actually be Howard Eskin's fur coat.

:-D

Very funny stuff, PG, thanks for posting it! :yay
I almost thought they were going to blow it with the "Joe Must Go" reference - stuff like that will be found if they ever tear down Franklin Field, or dig through my memorabilia collection, whichever comes first  :P - but any mention of Tim Rossovich is welcome.  ;)

dpierce

QuoteBuddy Ryan's offensive playbook, all three pages remarkably intact.

Wow...I didn't know it was that thick. My guess is two of the pages were blank. ;)
Crier of the week: Terrorists of all backgrounds. Tantrums are selfish acts by children; extortion and murder disguised as fervor for a cause are both selfish and just plain evil. "We're gonna blow up things and kill people until we get our way!" There's a convincing argument, huh?

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: dpierce on March 26, 2004, 12:09:11 PM

Wow...I didn't know it was that thick. My guess is two of the pages were blank. ;)

One page was just a picture of Randall scrambling.

MURP

:-D :-D :-D  

Wingspan

Quote from: TexasEagle on March 22, 2004, 10:28:29 PM
I know Philly wasn't that far from Wilmington last time I made the trip but that was a few years ago....

sorry dude, they moved wilmington last year  :-D
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 26, 2004, 12:51:07 PM

One page was just a picture of Randall scrambling.

And the 3rd page was the table of contents.  

PhillyGirl

More Vet funnies from espn.com's Jayson Stark:

QuoteFarewell to the Vet

As they watched Veterans Stadium tumble Sunday, several Phillies players revealed they'd collected some assorted Vet memorabilia before the imploders arrived -- mostly the seats that once held their most beloved boobirds.

"I've got four of those seats," said shortstop Jimmy Rollins. "So I told my girlfriend, 'When the movers come, put those seats in the car. Don't let them go in the van.' If somebody can steal the Phanatic's head, they can steal my seats."

Meanwhile, the always-inventive Doug Glanville said he'd struck out in his attempts to obtain the underground courthouse used for rowdies at Eagles games. ("I thought that would be very special, very Philadelphia," he said.) So he was turning his attention to trying to track down the 408 sign on the outfield padding in center field.

"I'm working on finding that," he said. "I'll definitely be making some contact with the FBI and CIA. My plan is to bronze it, have the 408 studded with diamonds and then put it in my driveway. The fact that I could never hit a ball over that sign means it represents the unattainable."

Shockingly, we couldn't find any Phillies players who wanted to keep a strip of NeXturf, even though they'll never have another chance to play a game on it anywhere they roam. If you thought they might feel even a tinge of nostalgia over that, guess again.

"My hip flexors are celebrating in joy," Glanville said. "And my hamstring tendon is really happy, too."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

barnegat

Hey,  speaking of Aquarama, I'm looking for info and pictures on the place and the neighborhood in the 1960's.

Rome