Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

My kitchen is pretty small and terrible. I would like to address this by removing the load bearing wall/arch that's between the cabinets and fridge. If necessary, I'm okay with having an exposed header or soffit, but for the continuity of the base cabinets which will be on both sides of the room, I need the vertical support beams to be flush in the perimeter walls. Is this easily possible?

http://imgur.com/a/bczAm#7

PhillyPhreak54

Where the hell has Dio been? This is up his alley

Looks like red oak cabinets. Did you have them done of were they in when you bought it?

Tomahawk

They've been here since at least the 60s I'm guessing and must go...the sides of the wall cabinets are cracking, and ideally I'll be able to put cabinets on the other wall so they'll all need to be the same. Let me know if for some reason you want these red oak cabinets, and I'll send you a video of me burning them.

PhillyPhreak54

lol no thanks I'm not really a red oak fan. The only oak I like is rift or quarter sawn white oak.

What kind are you going to put in?

Tomahawk

Value or best available deal will be prioritized factors over material type, but because of my prepubescent mindset, I think cherry would win any tie-breakers.

PhillyPhreak54

Cherry is excellent.

If you'd like to go for cherry look but not cherry price tag look into clear alder.

smeags

Putting up a 12x24 shed in the spring. this should go well.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

Still trying to buy a house. My credit score is good but I got some good news last night. Any of yous good with credit reports? I have a question.

PhillyPhreak54

I'm pretty well versed...what's up?

SD

Check your pms and thanks for any help you can give me

PhillyPhreak54

SD

Put an offer in on a townhouse. The couple only owned the place for a year then got relocated to Houston. They started doing some remodeling but never got around to finishing. The place is nice as it is but I'd like to finish what they started.

Any experience with using Rustoleum to refinish kitchen cabinets and ceramic tubs? Looks easy enough to do, just time consuming. They put dark blue granite tops in the kitchen and retiled the downstairs bathroom. I'd like to paint the kitchen and stain the cabinets white. I'm going to paint he downstairs bathroom, put a more modern sink in, paint the tub, and I'd like to tile the wall behind the tub.

SD

So I offered the asking price for this townhouse, and was asking for 4.5% sellers assist. My offer was for $5k more than the next highest offer. The seller wants another $6k on top of that because she put hard wood floors in. I told her to eat it. My realtor represents us both and even told me she's out of her mind if she thinks anyone's going to beat my offer. Place has been on the market for over 90 days and has a bunch of shtein that's half remodeled like the kitchen and bathrooms. She put awesome hard wood floors in but only in the upstairs. The roof is also double tiled and is 20 years old meaning that's going to have to be addressed within the next few years. Moving on.

Seabiscuit36

You never know if she'll just say eff it a few days later.  But being that its a dual agent is a tough position for a realtor especially if the seller isn't reasonable. 

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Anyone here own a rental property?

My g/f has a good chunk of money saved up and lives in the trendy part of Wilmington, which has a lot of old buildings that have since been turned into condos and apartments. One apartment has been on the market for 5 or 6 months at roughly $55K (too much, only a 1 bed, 1 bath place), and suddenly two days ago it got labeled a short sale and the price is down to $20K.

The HOA fees (which I believe are tax deductible if you rent the place out) are only $480 a month and, according to the listing, cover everything but cable/internet.

Obviously you wanna go check the place out in person, but based on the outside details, I'm trying to think of a good reason why this isn't a good investment opportunity for her...outside of the PITA parts of being a landlord, I suppose. That area of the city is largely young professionals in their mid-late 20's who live there before moving out to the suburbs, so I guess the likelyhood of finding a great tenant that lives there longer than a couple years is low.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds