What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Diomedes on June 29, 2006, 12:13:25 PM
You pretty much singlehandedly kicked this phase off by turning me onto Manassas.  That album is easily one of the best rock albums ever made.  Top 10 imho.

Glad you like it.  8)

A friend at work lent me "Mermaid Avenue" by Billy Bragg and Wilco. Don't know if anyone else is familiar with it, but it consists of songs written by Woody Guthrie that he had never recorded. His daughter turned them over to Billy Bragg, and this CD is the result. Very good stuff! I think I'll be getting my own copy!  ;)

Diomedes

Yeah, I've had that since it came out.  The second volume is almost as good.  If you like the first, do yourself a favor and get the second one too.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Phanatic

I'm currently listening to some old Concrete Blond 'Still in Hollywood'. Man that women can sing...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Munson

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 28, 2006, 12:42:37 PM
Well, since I can't reply to the Hip-Hop thread I'll put this here...

I have been digging up some old shtein lately. Just got done listening to Black Sheep (The choice is yours), Funkdoobiest (Superhoes - the song on Friday when Red gets knocked out by Debo), WU-Tang (Triumph) and some others.

Anyone ever heard of Dynamite Hack? They are from Austin and everything they have done sucks except for a whiteboy remake of Boyz in the Hood. It's pretty good. Not NWA good, but good in a funny way. I put it as my myspace page song.

Haha, I know that song. The video was hilarious too.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Alkaline Trio-Crimson
System of a Down-Toxicity
System of a Down-Hypnotize
Mix-Featuring Oasis, The Staring Line, Mae, Foo Fighters, The Postal Serivice, others
Mix-Featuring Jacks Mannequin, Ben Folds, Plain White T's, Death Cab For Cutie, others
Alkaline Trio-Demo's and bootlegs on my computer

Anyone who likes Elvis Costello should give a guy named Dan Andriano a listen. His croon type voice kind of sounds like a young Costello.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=49718815

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=71236975

His solo stuff isn't as good as his Alkaline Trio stuff.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

mussa

NIN - all albums on shuffle - getting pumped for the concert tonight

scary was sobriety can do to people :

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

I've always thought that guy is a little bitch.  Now I see he's a big bitch.  I'll be sure to tell him as much next time I see him.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

he was never that big before, i think he started hitting the gym when he got sober. 
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Yeah, that much was clear in your post with the dreamy pic.

mussa

The Mars Volta - Amputechture  --excellante :yay :yay

mussa

Thom Yorke - The Eraser
MUSE - Black Holes and Revelations
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star lV: Vol. 1
The Postal Service - Give Up

Diomedes

Just picked up Burning Spear's Marcus Garvey[/b] and the dub version of the same, Garvey's Ghost.  The latter is nowhere near his best dub but still far better than many other people can manage, the former is one of the greatest reggae albums ever.

Rome

Quote from: mussa on June 30, 2006, 09:46:14 AM
he was never that big before, i think he started hitting the gym when he got sober. 

Traded one addiction for another.

Good for him.

NiN kicks ass, btw.   How was the show?

mussa

fargin awesome, def one of the top 5 shows i have ever seen, minus the new songs which i don't really like or know.

Susquehanna Birder

Finally got my LP-to-CD conversion system set up (for a while, anyway). Ran off a copy of Robert Fripp's Exposure last night. Cool stuff. And I was going to make a CD of the band/album U.K., but I found it on iTunes, and I had a few extra credits on there, so I saved some time and downloaded it instead. Damn, I forgot how good those guys were together.

What got me going to the LPs was me pulling down a copy (via Soulseek) of Court of the Crimson King and Discipline from King Crimson. Two (almost) totally different bands, but both great in their own right.