The Coaching Search Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, December 31, 2012, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Just fine?  They were 4-8 before the fool's gold quartet of games.

You yourself said you see 8-8 if Kelly takes over.  I don't know about you but 8-8 isn't gonna cut it for me.  I want a dominating large & nasty offensive line that beats the shtein out of the defense, not the Hoydas who've gotten their faces pushed in for the last half decade.

PhillyPhanInDC

I think Greg Roman (49ers OC) is a real sleeper. Look what he did with Alex Smith, and now Kapernick. I love the guy's smash-mouth style of offense, and he's pretty ingenious when it comes to getting guys in roles that fit their skill set (Delanie Walker, etc.)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD

Quote from: Rome on January 01, 2013, 10:02:00 AM
Just fine?  They were 4-8 before the fool's gold quartet of games.

You yourself said you see 8-8 if Kelly takes over.  I don't know about you but 8-8 isn't gonna cut it for me.  I want a dominating large & nasty offensive line that beats the shtein out of the defense, not the Hoydas who've gotten their faces pushed in for the last half decade.

The 4-8 record was certainly indicative of the play of the offensive line...not the idiot QB, the wide 9, having an O-line coach as the DC, Marty's awesome redzone playcalling. Nope, it was all the O-lines fault.

I don't want Kelly and am not happy with 8-8. Just like DE, you wants large beasts like Peters who maul everything in their path, that's fine but where are you getting them from? It's not like those guys fall out of trees. You make due with what you have and upgrade in spots of need. The O-line needs work but a major overhaul [like what will happen with the DBs] is not in order.

Rome

No, you're right.  The offensive line wasn't to blame at all.  They were the strength of that .500 juggernaut.

They're a Super Bowl caliber outfit so long as Peters, Kelce & Herremans all come back healthy and Mathis continues his "Pro Bowl" level of play.

CASE CLOSED.

Rome

These guys are mock-worthy stats nerds of the sabermetric variety, but their methodology is sound:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2011

Ranked 26th last year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2012

Ranked 28th this year.

SD

SunMo

lol they are nerds but their logic is sound because they support Rome's argument.

and yeah, the o-line was bad, but with peters and herremans coming back you need to upgrade rg and maybe c, which should be relatively easy to do. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

DH

Sign Jake Long, draft Jarvis, then use the rest of the picks on DBs.

Seriously, if the choice was either draft Jockstrap or sign Long, would we not all agree that signing Long would be the way to go? Someone said it a few weeks back - it's similar to signing Runyan back when Andy came to town.

Rome

If they could somehow manage to sign a top FA right tackle I'd be thrilled.

Hell, I'd even stomach Mathis & Kelce starting if that were the case.   It's as big an "if" as anything else, though, especially with Roseman making the picks.

If Peters is healthy then they're better there as well but only because they were so uniformly awful without him.

SD

Quote from: DH on January 01, 2013, 12:26:07 PM
Sign Jake Long, draft Jarvis, then use the rest of the picks on DBs.

Seriously, if the choice was either draft Jockstrap or sign Long, would we not all agree that signing Long would be the way to go? Someone said it a few weeks back - it's similar to signing Runyan back when Andy came to town.

I'm 100% IN with this plan. Long is a no-brainer. I have to wonder if Jarvis drops to 4 though.

ice grillin you

counting on a 30+ year old 335 pounb double torn achillies survivor is not very smart....counting on him to be the best LT in the nfl is suicide...hope for the best and expect the worst when it comes to him but mostly have a better plan b than the slop they ran out this year

as for the coach i want a black guy...beyond that i dont care provided its not a retread
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Rome gotta be trollin' on this OL stuff, right?

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 01, 2013, 02:16:39 PM
Rome gotta be trollin' on this OL stuff, right?

he usually calls it sarcasm
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 01, 2013, 02:06:51 PM
as for the coach i want a black guy...beyond that i dont care provided its not a retread

So Lovie is OUT because he's a retread?