2020/2021 Covid Games

Started by Rome, July 23, 2021, 07:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

The Olympics are off and running, and each day in this space we'll give you the top events to watch the next day in Tokyo.

With the time difference, each day's live competition begins in primetime Eastern and runs overnight into mid-morning the following day. There will be no live events from roughly 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern each day, though that time will be filled with delayed or re-aired broadcasts of various events. This installment covers events happening Tuesday in Tokyo, which unfolds from Monday evening through Tuesday morning in the United States.

All dates and times below are converted to Eastern time, 13 hours behind Tokyo time. NBC's main-channel curated coverage Monday night will feature the men's gymnastics team final (which already took place early this morning) and more swimming semis and finals. All events can be streamed at NBCOlympics.com.

Top U.S. events
Women's gymnastics

What: Team final

When: Tuesday, 6:45 a.m.

TV: NBC (delayed, 8 p.m. Tuesday) and streaming

Simone Biles and Co. go for team gold after a less-than-stellar performance in qualification. They finished second there to the ROC. NBC is saving this for the prime-time broadcast Tuesday night, so go to Peacock or NBCOlympics.com if you want to watch it live in the morning.

Softball

What: United States vs. Japan (gold-medal game)

When: Tuesday, 7 a.m.

TV: NBCSN and streaming

The U.S. hopes this is their big revenge game. Japan stunned the Americans in the last softball Olympic gold-medal game back in 2008. Now they meet again for the same prize. The bronze-medal game between Canada and Mexico is first up at midnight on CNBC.

Swimming

What: Men's 200m free, women's 100m back, men's 100m back, women's 100m breast finals, plus semis

When: Monday, 9:30-11:30 p.m. (semis and finals); Tuesday, 7-9 a.m. (heats)

TV: NBC (evening semis and finals), USA (morning heats) and streaming

Katie Ledecky tries to advance to the women's 200-meter freestyle final in the first races of the evening. That's followed by four finals with plenty of U.S. medal hopes. In the morning session, Caeleb Dressel will compete in his signature event, the men's 100-meter freestyle.

Women's soccer

What: United States vs. Australia

When: Tuesday, 4 a.m.

TV: USA and streaming

The women completely turned their tournament around with a 6-1 win over New Zealand in the second group game. Now they need only a draw with the Aussies to ensure a spot in the knockout round. The group's other final game, New Zealand vs. Sweden, plays concurrently. Too early for you? The game re-airs at 10 a.m. ET on USA.

Women's basketball

What: United States vs. Nigeria

When: Tuesday, 12:40 a.m.

The United States women hope to get off to a better start than the men as they face Nigeria in their Olympic opener. The U.S. women last lost at the Olympics in Barcelona in 1992, before six of their current players were born.

Women's 3x3 basketball

What: United States vs. Japan (opening round)

When: Tuesday, 12:30 a.m.

TV: CNBC (delayed, 4 a.m.) and streaming

It's the final group-stage game for the United States, and the Americans have already won the group and a spot in the semifinals. This is just a chance to work on their game ahead of the knockout stage.

Beach volleyball

What: April Ross and Alix Klineman vs. Spain; Nick Lucena and Phil Dalhausser vs. Brazil

When: Monday, 8 p.m. (Ross/Klineman) and Monday, 11 p.m. (Lucena/Dalhausser)

TV: CNBC (women), USA (men) and streaming

A win would put Ross and Klineman in great position to advance out of pool play. After losing their opener, Lucena and Dalhausser would be on the cusp of elimination with another loss.

Rugby sevens

What: United States vs. South Africa

When: Monday, 10:30 p.m.

TV: CNBC and streaming

This will be the toughest group-stage game for the United States, but they've already clinched a spot in the knockout round for the first time in the team's Olympic history. South Africa offers a good test of the competition they'll see there.

Women's volleyball

What: United States vs. China

When: Monday, 10:05 p.m.

TV: NBC and streaming

The Americans beat Argentina 3-0 in their opener. This is the second of five pool games.

Men's water polo

What: United States vs. South Africa

When: Monday, 9 p.m.

The U.S. held off Japan, 15-13, in their opener. Now they face a South African team that lost their first game 21-2, with a chance to start 2-0 in the group.

Other medal events

Canoe slalom

What: Women's kayak final

When: Tuesday, 3:15 a.m.

Cycling

What: Women's cross-country mountain bike final

When: Tuesday, 2 a.m.

TV: USA (2:30 a.m.) and streaming

Diving

What: Women's synchronized 10m platform final

When: Tuesday, 2 a.m.

Equestrian

What: Dressage team grand prix special

When: Tuesday, 4 a.m.

TV: NBCSN (delayed, 1 p.m.) and streaming

Fencing

What: Women's épée team bronze/gold matches

When: Tuesday, 5:30 a.m.

TV: NBCSN (delayed, 4 p.m.) and streaming

Judo

What: Women's -63 kg, men's -81 kg finals

When: Tuesday, 4-6:50 a.m.

TV: USA (delayed, 3 p.m.) and streaming

Shooting

What: Mixed team 10m air pistol and 10m air rifle bronze/gold matches

When: Monday, 10 p.m. (air pistol); Tuesday, 2:15 a.m. (air rifle)

TV: Streaming

Taekwondo

What: Women's +67 kg, men's +80 kg bronze/gold contests

When: Tuesday, 7:30-9:30 a.m.

TV: USA (delayed, 3 p.m.) and streaming

Triathlon

What: Women's individual

When: Monday, 5:30 p.m.

Weightlifting

What: Women's 59 kg, 64 kg finals

When: Tuesday, 2:50 a.m. (59 kg); Tuesday, 6:50 a.m. (64 kg)

TV: USA (delayed, 2:30 p.m.) and streaming

Other events in action

Archery, badminton, boxing, handball, field hockey, sailing, surfing, tennis
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

whenever something is live itll say "live" in the top right of the screen

for whatever reason they werent able to move gymnastics to being live for east coast primetime so all of it takes places at like 3am then is re-packaged the next day. swimming is live and track will be too. they were guilty of this in the past but now for the most part there is very little tape delaying

the other sports are all over the map time wise but theyre mostly live
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Ping pong is the summer version of curling for me. I watch the shtein out of it

phattymatty

Quote from: MDS on July 26, 2021, 11:03:52 PM

for whatever reason they werent able to move gymnastics to being live for east coast primetime so all of it takes places at like 3am then is re-packaged the next day.

womens gymnastics is live now at 645 am.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 27, 2021, 12:11:18 AM
Ping pong is the summer version of curling for me. I watch the shtein out of it

Watched the mixed doubles final.  Stangely compelling.

phattymatty

biles out.  mental issue, not physical.  weird.

SD

Grand scheme don't mean shtein they move on but the Alex Morgan goal that was disallowed because a strand of her hair was offsides was a joke

phattymatty

us softball only has one hit though 5.  I have just watched more softball in 8 minutes than my entire life combined.

phattymatty

watched 2 hours of womens gymnastics and peacock did not show a single graphic, leaderboard, etc the entire time.  what a worthless service.

PhillyPhreak54

Peacork sucks. NBC main coverage hasn't been much better.

I watched the softball, handball and now water polo. Sucks the softball team didn't win. Bats were cold.

Anything more on Biles??

Don Ho

I get it, there are 900 different events at once but took me half the morning yesterday to find surfing.  To watch live I had to get the NBC sports Olympic app.  Guess they finally showed the men's finals at 4 AM EST on NBC Sports channel.  Conditions were awful as incoming typhoon now Tropical Storm Nepartak messed it up.  Choppy, awful conditions, water looked nasty but that was becasue of the black sand beach.   

Hawaii girl Carissa Moore won the gold!  The men's gold medalist Brazilian Italio Ferrera surfs like he's skateboarding, unbelievable shtein he pulled off.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Water looked like the shtein soup we have down here in Galveston.

I wanted to watch more today but JFC it's hard finding stuff. And they're replaying the softball game again but yet there's live stuff on

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous