Jaws On WIP: Falcons Blitzed 38 Times

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 15, 2005, 08:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: Larry on September 15, 2005, 09:31:50 AM
An easy way to counteract the blitz is with screens. Westbrook was having good success with them, but I believe after McNabb threw that Aaron Brookish backward pass, Reid scratched all those plays off the chart.

They were hit and miss on the screens.  On one, the LB read it perfectly.  On another, Donovan threw the ball backwards.  Two others worked alright.  That's what, 50%.  They need to mix it up more than just a few screen plays. 

I agree that a called roll-out wouldn't hurt.  It's worth a try at least once a game, no?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

How about a freaking running play every once and a while. Jesus.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

I agree that a called roll-out wouldn't hurt.  It's worth a try at least once a game, no?

he did it the very first play of the second half...it worked...and that was the end of it for some reason
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Yeah, when you've got a QB with McNabb's athletic ability you've just got to call a couple of bootlegs during the game.  Run some plays that gets McNabb out of the pocket and on the move. 

Larry

Quote from: Diomedes on September 15, 2005, 09:36:33 AM
They were hit and miss on the screens.  On one, the LB read it perfectly.  On another, Donovan threw the ball backwards.  Two others worked alright.  That's what, 50%.  They need to mix it up more than just a few screen plays. 

On the one play, the LB got lucky because he split Andrews and Runyan.  That should've been a huge gain for Westbrook.  The backward pass should've never been thrown to begin with.

And Westbrook doesn't have to be the sole target for these screens.  Throw a bubble screen to Lewis or Owens, a little shovel pass to LJ, etc...

More Mahe please.

PhillyPhreak54

Who're we kidding? We lost because there wasn't enough Reno.

RezRob

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 15, 2005, 09:25:07 AM
anyway the eagles didnt lose cause of the blitz the eagles lost cause it was a tough friggin game to win

Yeah w/o Trott, and Akers misses 2/3, D-nice 3 turnovers, but no we lost because it was tough huh...  ::)

i said from the get that at atlanta in the monday nite opener was not only unfair but an extremely tought position to be in...at atl and at kc were two losses this year...
Unfair? What planet are you from? It's football, remember when the Linc opened and we hosted TB? I guess that was unfair to them...The Eagles aren't scared to be on the road or to play any team. Oh and which defense in KC will stop us? By the time we play them there team will all be in jail.
Official GreenBay Correspondent...

ice grillin you

The Eagles aren't scared to be on the road or to play any team. Oh and which defense in KC will stop us?

sorry...the eagles will go 15-1...what am i thinking
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: Larry on September 15, 2005, 09:42:10 AMOn the one play, the LB got lucky because he split Andrews and Runyan. That should've been a huge gain for Westbrook. The backward pass should've never been thrown to begin with.

I disagree.  It wasn't luck, it was a poorly executed play on the Eagles' part, and a good play on the Falcons' part.  The Eagles were slow setting it up, and the blockers were not ready to block.  The LB shot between Runyan and Andrews before they knew what was happening.  Luck had nothing to do with it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

sallad selgae

A couple of thoughts:

McNabb needs to work on hard counts against aggressive teams.  Try to draw them offsides and temper them a bit.

On play that worked well was the Westbrook run up the middle where he was aligned right and ran cross grain through the left side of the line.
"Official Sponsor of the first, fourth round draft pick"

Diomedes

Quote from: sallad selgae on September 15, 2005, 10:22:30 AMOn play that worked well was the Westbrook run up the middle where he was aligned right and ran cross grain through the left side of the line.

That was sweet.  But I don't think you'll see that call again for a while.  It's a bit flukey.

Larry

Quote from: sallad selgae on September 15, 2005, 10:22:30 AM
A couple of thoughts:

McNabb needs to work on hard counts against aggressive teams.  Try to draw them offsides and temper them a bit.

On play that worked well was the Westbrook run up the middle where he was aligned right and ran cross grain through the left side of the line.

I've seen the hardcount once during the Reid era.  I think Reid's afraid of the offensive motion penalty.

And the trap you're talking about is a play that Mariucci used to run all the time in SF (that play's probably the brainchild of Mornhinweg).  We ran it for the first time vs. Minny in last year's playoff game (for a big gain).  We ran it twice Monday:  once for a big gain, once it got stuffed.
More Mahe please.

TempleOwl

I was injured in the first quarter too, pulled a hammy jumping out of my chair (spilled the chips too), but I kept watching hard.  I never lost focus.  Trotter farged the whole game up by being an idiot.  McNabb played hurt and the playcalling sucked.  Even with all that, if Akers makes those two FG's we win!  It isn't like the TB and New England games two years ago.
"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...SHOOT IT!"

PoopyfaceMcGee

Bottom line:  Eagles ended up bringing anything but their "A" game.  Falcons brought everything, especially the house.  Falcons won the game, but not by much.  Falcons will need a lot more luck to even make the playoffs, considering the way their division might shake out.  Eagles shouldn't give another thought to the Falcons until such a time when they meet again, because Eagles have their own issues to take care of to get back to the big game.

Go Eagles.  Falcons can sniff my hairy and massive scrotes.

rjs246

I can very easily see the Falcons missing the playoffs. Wah wah wah.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.