I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

according to comcast if i wanna hook up my hdmi on my tv it takes a special cable box that costs five bucks extra a month....does hdmi vs non hdmi make a huge difference in picture quality
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Videophiles will say yes.  I say - save your farging money, because that's ridiculous.

ice grillin you

PoopyfaceMcGee

You already get HD, just with component inputs, right?

HDMI is simply not worth $5 every single month.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2006, 02:31:45 PM
according to comcast if i wanna hook up my hdmi on my tv it takes a special cable box that costs five bucks extra a month....does hdmi vs non hdmi make a huge difference in picture quality

You get a DVR and HDMI with that box, the cable costs an extra $50-$100 depending on the length. I was gonna get it but then I watched my buddy's TV with HDMI and the picture isn't any better than mine.

ice grillin you

an hdtv/dvr box is 10 bucks extra a month
an hdmi box is an additonal 5 on top of that

which is insane that its a monthly charge...the only difference is that the hdmi box has a connector on the back of it that will accpet a hdmi cable...right?

how is it any different than a rca plug in that sense...comcast acts as tho they have monthly upkeep costs because the box has a hdmi connector on it

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 15, 2006, 03:05:12 PM

which is insane that its a monthly charge...the only difference is that the hdmi box has a connector on the back of it that will accpet a hdmi cable...right?

Yes. I think the price is an extra $5 because the HDMI boxes are all DVR's as well. Comcast is a rip-off.

Susquehanna Birder

My DVR box has an HDMI connection on the back (I think)...but I don't use it. The component connection looks great.

Seabiscuit36

HDMI is nice if you want to avoid having 2 wires for sound and 3 for component.  Basically its just a all in one package.  The picture difference is not noticeable in most cases.  I cant believe they are charging more though for that.  Gotta love COMCASTIC.   >:D
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Wingspan

component vs hdmi on a cablebox isnt worth an upgrade. since comcast compresses the hell out of the video before it's converted by the box anyway.

component vs hdmi would have a noticable difference in something that is truly sending a full HD signal from it's source to your tv with no compression/decompression ( some sources that you would see diferences: some satelite dish channels, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, verizon FiOS tv.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Rome

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on November 28, 2006, 08:20:48 PM
I looked into that deal a little further and that's indeed a steal.

Viewsonic products routinely get high ratings from the consumer magazines and the closest deal I came across was a Magnavox 37" LCD that was on sale for $1,029 at Target.

Here's hoping my Panasonic rear projection HDTV has a meltdown soon. 

Way to go, jackass. 

I swear to farging God, I got my wish.  My television broke yesterday.  I came home from seeing Santa with my kid, and when I turned my television on, it was all farged up.  Apparently the convergence stabilizer went and now I can't get anyone out to fix it until next week.

:-D

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 24, 2006, 12:00:26 PM
Quote from: Jerome99RIP on November 28, 2006, 08:20:48 PM
I looked into that deal a little further and that's indeed a steal.

Viewsonic products routinely get high ratings from the consumer magazines and the closest deal I came across was a Magnavox 37" LCD that was on sale for $1,029 at Target.

Here's hoping my Panasonic rear projection HDTV has a meltdown soon. 

Way to go, jackass. 

I swear to farging God, I got my wish.  My television broke yesterday.  I came home from seeing Santa with my kid, and when I turned my television on, it was all farged up.  Apparently the convergence stabilizer went and now I can't get anyone out to fix it until next week.

:-D

Time to check those after-Christmas specials!  :D

Beermonkey

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on December 24, 2006, 12:00:26 PMI swear to farging God, I got my wish.  My television broke yesterday.  I came home from seeing Santa with my kid, and when I turned my television on, it was all farged up.  Apparently the convergence stabilizer went and now I can't get anyone out to fix it until next week.

Perfect excuse to head out to Best Buy. It took me 6 months of wearing my wife down, until yesterday, when she told me to just go and buy it.  :)

I had 25 minutes to go 9 miles to Comcast to grab an HD box & am happy I did, as watching the liver spots on Tiki's face wrinkle during today's loss was priceless.

SD_Eagle5

Just got my class schedule and I have class from 6:30-9:30 Monday nights. Problem with that is I love 24 so it creates a dilemna. I'm very unfamiliar with DVR's, TIVO, and all that shtein. I need to find one that can record in HD. Any recommendations?

Rome

I got a call from a buddy of mine who is a supervisor at BestBuy and he told be that if I waited unit after 12:00 midnight tomorrow I could get a friggen excellent deal on a new set.

I don't care.  I can't get anyone else out until tomorrow anyway so who gives a shtein?

WAR analog!

You know, or something.