Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Eagaholic

We shouldn't be giving dumb taunts or digs, the guy now has CTE. But they could use that electron microscope to see his nano nano boo boo.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Tomahawk

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/espn-ed-cunningham-football-concussions.html

Quote"In its current state, there are some real dangers: broken limbs, wear and tear," Cunningham said. "But the real crux of this is that I just don't think the game is safe for the brain. To me, it's unacceptable."

Seems hypocritical to give zero fargs about a physical damage but then give all the fargs about brain damage.

Sgt PSN

I don't see it that way at all.  Bones break, ligaments tear. They also heal. Usually well enough so that the person can live a relatively normal life, even if the injury(s) brought an immediate end to their career. Yup, a pro athlete, especially a football player is likely to have severe physical discomfort later in life. Same goes for a ditch digger, a cop, a soldier, a or anyone else who performs physically demanding, back breaking work...only they get paid far less to deal with it.

Brain damage is permanent. Ain't no coming back from that. Not even a little bit. 

ice grillin you

yeah its like comparing getting a  headache to getting alzheimers

shtein even wendall davis lives a normal life and the vet ate both his legs

Eagaholic

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 25, 2017, 11:58:01 AM
99.1%

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=0
Don't get too taken in by the media sensationalizing, though. The real question isn't the prevalence of CTE in football players, it's about how many of those players are symptomatic, and if it affects their quality of life.

CTE, in the researchers sense, refers to structural changes in the brain, but it may or may not have any effect on the person. If you did autopsies on a group of 110 plumbers you might find 99.1% of them have artery plaque build up. It could be most weren't aware of it and didn't experience anything especially detrimental, but a few did go on to die from a heart attack. But not 99.1%. The media tries to make CTE and the effects that can come from it synonymous. If that were the case you wouldn't see groups like old HOFer get togethers or the '72 Dolphins popping champagne late in a season when the last undefeated team goes down. They'd all be a drooling incoherent mess. Sad and unfortunate for those who do succumb, but it isn't anything near what the media likes to suggest. Key data that McKee et al. have released that puts things into perspective have been conveniently ignored in print and screen media.

Diomedes

Add Aaron Hernandez to the list of players who suffered from CTE.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

this is huge....it's one thing to have memory loss and depression after you retire

it's a whole nother thing to be turned into a murderer at 27

MDS

uhhh he was a sociopath long before his brain was mush
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

almost certainly not true altho no one knows for sure....but either way the optics will be that he murdered three people because of cte and thats the important part

MDS

he was into gang shtein when he was at florida and later in high school in connecticut

im not saying cte didnt cause him to do crazy shtein but he was a worthless human being with a death wish. remember when bunk was talking to omar at the train tracks and he described how we went to party with some hard boys and they told him to get lost school boy, this aint for you? well aaron hernandez was bunk except he didnt get lost and also he had cte.

yea i shoehorned a wire reference sue me
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

si wrote an amazing article a year or two ago about hernandez thru the eyes of his brother...everyone should read it...but anyway he didnt start going HAM until florida

but more than that his cte was so advanced that it was the kind youd see in a 70 year old man....so it must have started early

Rome

He was a disgusting bullying piece of shtein.  The world is better off with him dead.

High school photo of him throwing Bloods gang signs.  FTB.