Winter Olympics

Started by 4and26, February 08, 2006, 04:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: L-ong-B-each-I-ggle on February 25, 2006, 11:03:44 PM
whats going on. i didn't know women talked this much.

They're not supposed to.  Obviously this one didn't get the memo.  And that also leads me to believe she's not adding a cover sheet to her TPS reports either. 

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

SD_Eagle5

The Forsbergs win the Gold.

Nitty gets tournament MVP.

PhillyGirl

QuoteForsberg puts stamp on gold medal win
By Steve Keating

TURIN (Reuters) - When Peter Forsberg scored the goal that won Sweden their first Olympic ice hockey gold medal in 1994 the moment was immortalized forever on a postage stamp.

Forsberg delivered another gold medal for Sweden on Sunday, helping set up Nicklas Lidstrom's winning goal in a 3-2 win over Nordic rivals Finland that could trigger another philatelic frenzy.

Lidstrom's goal is likely to be remembered by Swedes the same way Argentines recall Diego Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal at the 1986 World Cup and Canadians recollect Paul Henderson's decisive goal in Canada's landmark 1972 Summit Series win over Russia.

"It should be (on a stamp)," said Sweden captain Mats Sundin, who also played a part the winning tally. "It's the first time we have won a tournament against the best in the world and that shot should probably go into the history books."

Sundin sparked the winning goal when he won the opening face off and Forsberg broke over the blue line with the puck.

His drop pass back to Sundin, followed by another drop pass to Lidstrom gave the Detroit Red Wings defenceman an uncontested view and he fired a slap shot past goalie Antero Niittymaki.

"Mats laid it up perfectly for me," said Lidstrom. "I hit it perfectly, I got everything on the shot. I hit the spot where I was aiming."

If the goal does end up on a stamp or coin, it might be fitting that Forsberg, Sundin and Lidstrom are on it together.

The NHL veterans represent the same golden age of Swedish hockey and probably played in their last Olympic tournament wearing the Tre Kronor, the club's three-crowned logo.

Certainly the Swedes' win goes a long way to erasing the disappointment of their quarter-final exit in Salt Lake City four years ago when goalie Tommy Salo misplayed a long shot against Belarus to knock them out of the tournament.

"I think it means a lot to Swedish hockey," said Sundin. "We are getting older this is kind of a last chance for us.

"I know it means a lot to this generation of players. It's been a long wait. The last two Olympics we were expected to win and didn't.

"It's an amazing feeling."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 26, 2006, 10:13:44 AM
Nitty gets tournament MVP.

Reminds me of when Hexy won the Conn Smythe in 1987.

:-\

Hopefully Forsberg will have enough left in him to help the Flyers win four playoff series this spring.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 26, 2006, 04:46:02 PM
Hopefully Forsberg will have enough left in him to help the Flyers win four playoff series this spring.

he didn't play much in the Olympics though, did he? I thought he sat out some of the games?

PoopyfaceMcGee

Farg the Olympics.  that is incredibly accurate.

MDS

Some country called Germany won the overall medal thing.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

PoopyfaceMcGee

Forsberg can kiss my pasty white ass.  He shouldn't have played in the Olympics.  If that motherfarging piece of garbage isn't 100% healthy for the rest of the Flyers season, he should be taken out to pasture and shot along with the guy he was traded for on draft day.

SunMo

actually the Olympics might be the best thing that could've happened for the Flyers.   Niittymaki comes back with a ton of confidence from playing well at a world class level, while Sweden figured out a way to treat a groin.  Hopefully, when Peter tweaks it again, he'll put the Flyers' trainers on the phone with some Sweedish doctor.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

maybe he went to the guy who wanted to remove mcnabbs sports hernia in a stockholm motel rooms ice filled bath tub
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Crossroids

Quote from: rjs246 on February 24, 2006, 10:09:48 AM

Kill yourself. Immediately. I'm not kidding. You come on here complaining about a bunch of men not caring about figure skating and talking about tearing up some flexible ass. Then you mention that you frequent a gymnastics/figure skating message board? Die.

Don't worry - I'll basically remain an elusive, ghost-like figure on this board.  You can already consider me dead, for all the hanging-around I'll do in this ratsnest.   :evil

"Frequent" is too strong of a word for what I do over at that h*llhole these days.  My visits over there are basically like my visits over here - as brief and as painless as possible! 

But the Gymnastics Gossip Messageboard always welcomes new fans and pervs - y'all should try it!  Something tells me that you wouldn't mind reading more about Sasha.  And there's a heck of a lot more Sasha talk over there than you'll find over here (although more than 50% of it concerns her actual skating, you'll find plenty of "hot" and "diva slut" references...)  Gymnastics Gossip Messageboard