Photography Thread

Started by mussa, May 05, 2005, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingspan

If your digital camera supports the RAW format, there is no reason to ever have your camera create a tif or a jpg file.

You can actually change the exposure on a lossless basis on the fly using the RAW format, it produces amazing results.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Cerevant on December 18, 2007, 03:34:38 PM
I was reading somewhere online that when you need different light levels, you can use Photoshop to pull two exposures together: take the foreground with a flash & short exposure, then get the background with a long exposure.  I'm too lazy for all that :)

I'd rather go through the effort of making the shot right than trying to cobble together a frankenphoto.

What is cool is that the new digital cameras have "auto exposure bracketing" where the camera will take 3 quick pictures at different exposures when you don't have time to set up the shot.  I've played with this, but I'm mostly obsessed with taking pictures indoors with no flash.  I love my 50mm f/1.4 lens but you have to stand in the next room to take a picture with it because the field of view is so small.  I picked up a 17-200mm f/2.8 wide angle but it is still too slow for where I end up taking pictures.  I guess I'll have to invest in a flash with a diffuser.

Same here. I'd like at least two, so that I can run the flashes from off-axis positions.

BTW, the lamp was taken with a 17-35/2.8 lens. It does pretty well, but I understand what you mean about it never being fast enough.

Yeti

Those are some awesome pics Sus.  These are in my neighborhood from the fall with my wifes digital.

"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Susquehanna Birder

Looks like a real garden spot! I especially like the canoe pic...

phattymatty

i'm pretty sure to call it a neighborhood means you have to have neighbors within 100 miles.

Susquehanna Birder

Susquehanna Birder

Diomedes

please tell me you drank some of that, not just made pictures
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Diomedes on December 31, 2007, 06:34:05 PM
please tell me you drank some of that, not just made pictures

Absolutely. Brought 8 bottles of the Barbera home, and dusted 4 of them with friends last night at dinner.

Diomedes

Quote from: mussa on January 01, 2008, 01:13:30 PMsome atv riding pics

no shtein.  lemme guess you're the genius with no helmet or goggles
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

no genius. im the one taking the photo
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Cerevant on December 18, 2007, 03:34:38 PM
I was reading somewhere online that when you need different light levels, you can use Photoshop to pull two exposures together: take the foreground with a flash & short exposure, then get the background with a long exposure.  I'm too lazy for all that :)

Ah, now I understand what this is about. It's something called High Dynamic Range (HDR) images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

The resulting images look pretty cool. Despite my previous no-frankenphoto stance, I'm going to take a stab at experimenting with that.

Until then, this is my latest light experiment. I thought I'd posted it already, but I didn't see it here, so here it is:

Cerevant

Wow - nice depth of field.  Small aperture & long shutter time?

I got a new flash for Christmas - what a huge difference.  I was using the zesty on-camera flash or nothing, and that was frustrating the hell out of me.  I only have family photos right now, but I'll have to post some comparison shots.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Susquehanna Birder

Both. Maybe 2 minutes of exposure, while I walked around the car and fired a flash unit I was carrying.

I just got a Canon flash unit, and it does an excellent job. I'm going to maybe get a 3rd, and maybe a couple of umbrella setups, and try for some portraiture work. :)