THIS JUST IN: EAGLES SIGN......

Started by mikey418, August 10, 2005, 11:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey418

QuoteEagles | J. Thomas Signed
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:06:00 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have signed free agent DE Juqua Thomas (Titans) to an undisclosed contract.

Eagles | Samp Waived
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:07:55 -0700

The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have waived WR Chris Samp.
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

QB Eagles

Quote24. Chris Samp probably has no future here

Wow, Phreak wasn't kidding!

mikey418

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 10, 2005, 11:03:58 AM
::)

C'mon...this is HUGE.  I mean, the Eagles may not make the playoffs now since they lost some serious depth at WR losing Samp to make room for McDougle's eventual replacement..... ::)
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

MURP

Wingspan

i think that guy was cut because he had a stupid non football sounding name
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

An interesting signing...

With the DE spot seemingly locked up and possibly overcrowded, they sign another veteran DE.

Trent Cole and Jamaal Green were in a battle for the 5th DE spot.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteBirds sign free agent for help on defensive line

Crunch Time is a compilation of hits and occasional misses from Eagles training camp.

BETHLEHEM - The Eagles didn't sign a defensive end right away, when Jerome McDougle was shot in an apparent robbery attempt just before training camp began. They seemed content to wait for McDougle to return to practice, probably around the time of the regular-season opener. They haven't had any further serious developments there, unlike, say, wide receiver, where Todd Pinkston is done for the season after having an Achilles' tear repaired.

So it was a bit of a surprise yesterday to see former Tennessee Titan Juqua Thomas in uniform and taking defensive-end reps at Lehigh, and to hear that wide receiver Chris Samp, the guy the Birds signed when Pinkston went down, had been released to create a roster spot for Thomas.

It seems logical to wonder whether the Eagles are all that happy with what they've seen so far in camp from little-used Jamaal Green, who missed 2 days this week with a foot sprain, and soon-to-be 34-year-old Hugh Douglas. Their names haven't come up much, except when defensive coordinator Jim Johnson said on Sunday that Douglas has "got to show us he can still do it" in the preseason.

Coach Andy Reid said the Birds thought about signing Thomas before camp. He didn't say why they didn't do it then, but have done it now.

"He's a good pass rusher and he's stout enough up front to where he can hold his own. We've played against him, so we know what he can do," Reid said.

Thomas drew a strong endorsement from former Titans teammate Jevon Kearse.

"They asked me about him [Tuesday]. I was like, 'Hey, I'd go to war with this cat. I'd go to bat for him, no matter what... Y'all will be satisfied if you get him in here, trust me.' "

Size has been an issue for Thomas, who is listed at 6-2, 250. He made the Titans as a rookie free agent from Oklahoma State in 2001 and played the past four seasons for Tennessee, notching four of his five career sacks in 2003. The Titans didn't tender him as a restricted free agent this year. He said he was about to work out for the Seattle Seahawks when the Eagles called.

"I can make plays - pass rush, special teams, whatever," Thomas said. He said he would feel a lot more comfortable after he can study Johnson's defense a bit. Right now he's trying to learn as he plays. "It's tough. I don't know what to expect; they just throw you out there in the fire," Thomas said.

phattymatty

If we just re-sign Samp, then we won't have to worry about the whole TO debacle.  Why I'm not a GM I'll never know.

Don Ho

Quote from: MURP on August 10, 2005, 11:10:29 AM
Jaqua, thats a hell of a name. 

I think we used to mix Jaqua with Tequilla in college :drool
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.