Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

The idea for this engine was just to change the gaskets to fix the leak(s?). I didn't even want to take the heads off since those gaskets were obviously not leaking, but a couple of exhaust manifold bolts got stuck and the teeth of the extractors in the backout kit I got from Autozone got rounded off so I had to the heads to a machine shop where we decided it would be a good idea to have them cleaned, install new valve seats, and get a  3 angle valve job. The nonexistent budget for this basic overhaul is already blown.

Thanks for the knowledge - the piston tops will be cleaned up with a wire wheel on a drill, and apparently a mixture of elbow grease and patience

Diomedes

Quote from: Tomahawk on April 22, 2009, 12:14:00 PMThe nonexistent budget for this basic overhaul is already blown.
Thanks for the knowledge - the piston tops will be cleaned up with a wire wheel on a drill, and apparently a mixture of elbow grease and patience

The price for driving the coolest car in sight is cash money and hours of tedious toil.  But hey, it landed you a hot bitch with three hairless Hoydas, so you win, right?  Right?

Good  luck.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

hahaha - I had her in the bag before she'd even seen the car which she inexplicably hates

Tomahawk

Half an hour with the wire wheel was far more productive than a couple of hours by hand. The piston on the left looked even worse than the one on the right before I started...

Diomedes

sweet

one down seven to go
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

I don't consider the first one to be done yet - still gotta get the stuff on the top lip. Just had to take a break to make sure my lighter still works

Diomedes

shtein man, you're done with that one.  move on.

PhillyPhanInDC

T-hawk,
I would recommend sucking it up and doing it by hand. While it sucks balls, it will be a much more controlled cleaning. A wire wheel can leave all kinds of small irregularities in the surface of the piston, which can lead to hot spots, which can lead to detonation. Soak the pistons in carb cleaner or break cleaner (over cleaner works pretty damn well too). You'll have to keep soaking them to break up the carbon.

If you are going to stick with the wheel, at least put a soft polishing wheel to each piston afterwards.

How did the lifter valley look? Replace the oil pump cover and gaskets while you have that beast out. Check http://www.taperformance.com for some parts to upgrade or replace the stock top end pieces, I'd recommend stepping up to a Stage 1 head build out while you've got the heads off. Should cost the same as a standard head rebuild. I'd also throw on an Edelbrock B4B and a Holley if money allows. That, the Stage 1 heads, maybe a cam, and the headers will really wake that thing up. have fun
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

Thanks for the advice PPinDC, but this overhaul was just to fix a leak(s?) and clean it up. I have a '71 parts car containing the 455 that's going to get the wildest cam that can still support power brakes and daily driveability, new pistons to take it from ~8.5 CR to 9.5 to 10 (along with any head milling or block decking that may be necessary), bored .030 over, TA SP1 intake (I know single plane isn't necessarily ideal, but I like it better than the B4B), TAs timing cover assembly, Mallory ignition system (S/S 42 dizzy, new coil, wires, and CD box), and the biggest item, TAs aluminum heads. The 2.93 peg-leg has already been replaced with the 3.42 posi out of the '72 Riv GS parts car.

All the lifters and pushrods look good. The camshaft and crank look normal. From eyeballing it, I don't believe there's been much core shift in the block, at least not significant.

Believe it or not, to convert the standard heads to Stage 1 costs a little over a grand, and that doesn't even include port work (which my local machinist wouldn't do anyway).

Call me crazy, but I really like my q-jet, especially after I spent about 20 hours last year learning all about it by rebuilding and tuning it. If you know where I can find a kit to convert it from a divorced choke to electric, I'd be grateful.

I'll definitely go over 'em with a soft polishing wheel to try to smooth out the imperfections.

Phanatic

I've got an old 79 Yamaha motor cycle  in the garage and its tme to fix it up and get it out. It's not in horrible shape. Brakes are seised though and I need to figure out how to move it to a better work area. Ideas?
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Diomedes

Tomahawk

Hey PPinDC, you know anything about the oil pump pressure regulator valve (that goes into the oil pump cover) for the Buick 455? I got the rebuild kit with a new valve, but the old one is stuck in there - it won't move at all, sideways or front to back. I'm wondering if there's a trick I'm not aware of to get it out

Diomedes

mussa

oh isn't that a real knee slapper
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons