Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Happy Fathers Day, Tywin

Love, Tyrion
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

smeags

this show is off the charts great.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagles_Legendz

Loved it. 

You're going to be in for a surprise if you read the ASOS epilogue Munson.  My guess is book purists will bitch on that front. 

Munson

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 15, 2014, 10:54:16 PM
Loved it. 

You're going to be in for a surprise if you read the ASOS epilogue Munson.  My guess is book purists will bitch on that front.

Okay, so I know to skip the epilogue then. My girlfriend also tells me there's a major character in Bran's chapters that hasn't been introduced yet, so I'm gonna skip them too. Which kinda sucks because I'm incredibly excited about the Children of the Forest still being around. Any other particular characters who still have chapters not covered? One thing I keep reading (which is thankfully spoiler free so far) is that Tyrion hasn't been told "The truth" yet...so does that mean there's a Tyrion chapter or two I need to avoid?

Eagles_Legendz

They may be cutting the epilogue out.  I think you're safe to read it but it might be a spoiler.  Up to you.

I think you're good with Bran.

The Tyrion think I think is being cut.  Really not a big spoiler at all but I'll do it just in case.   [spoiler]in the books it's revealed that Tysha, Tyrion's first wife, was actually NOT a whore, and Tywin ordered Jaime to act like she was because he didn't want Tyrion marrying a lowborn.  So his anger of that is what leads him to Tywin in the books is finding out about Tysha from Jaime.[/spoiler]

Munson

I'll skip the epilogue then, just in case. They've shown that they're not afraid to move entire storylines around, so who knows, it's the end of book 3 but they could do it in Season 6 for all we know. As for Bran...she said the character comes up way before the end of book 3, so do you think they're just cutting the character out??

Final thoughts for this episode/season/future:

Kings Landing
-What the hell is going on with Cersei and Jaime? I was afraid her seducing him would make him an icehole again, but then he helps Tyrion escape. Hmm...and what the farg is the play with The Mountain? Let the big mother farger die. He doesn't need to be alive, let alone more powerful like Qyburn.
-Tyrion escaping was goddamn awesome. I was hoping it would happen, but wasn't sure. And, of course, happy he got to take out Tywin. Though it seems to have thrown a big ass wrench in the plans of Varys, who seemed like he was about to go back to the Red Keep until he heard the bells rigning, and at that point knew Tyrion farged shtein up. So I assume he's taking Tyrion over to Illyrio in Pentos, and is now bailing on Kings Landing and Westeros and is going to go into full-on help Dany mode. Does this mean he gets Tyrion in good with Dany? Does Jorah find his way to Illyrio as well? Tyrion's journey is so interesting now, especially with Varys on board.
-As soon as Tyrion opened the door and Tywin was sitting there, I said "kill him" out loud. So happy that farger finally got what was coming to him. Revenge for Robb Stark, revenge for Tyrion's entire life, revenge for Oberyn..yay
-No idea what his death means for Kings Landing and the reign of Tommen Baratheon. WIthout the rock that was Tywin, I can see Littlefinger making his move from the Vale, the Tyrells attempting to press their power, Dorne is gonna be pissed about Oberyn and I think they end up rebelling.

The Wall
-I figured Stannis would eventually get to the Wall, didn't think he'd show up on the other side of it. Pretty awesome. Is he going to convince Mance to join him in defending the Wall against the White Walkers? They obviously are too stubborn to bend the knee to Stannis and join the realm. Not sure if that's going to change.
-No mention of whether or not Alliser Thorne is still alive, but I assume he is. But I imagine Jon will be elected Lord Commander soon.

North of the Wall
-Holy shtein that scene straight outta Evil Dead was crazy. But farg yeah, the Children of the Forest! Pretty happy they're still around. But who's the old dude? Another one of the Children? Just the three eyed raven in human form? One of hte actual "Old Gods"?? So many questions on that storyline...But Jojen :(. Kinda sad to see him go, though I think the show never did a great job fleshing him out.

Dany
-Her story has never bored me as much in the show as it has reading it in the books, but it's definitely slowing down now. Feel bad for the Dragons getting chained up though, sucks. Not sure what the hell she's gonna do. I assumed once she got Mereen, she'd move on relatively quickly to taking on the Dothraki and then eventually moving onto the Free Cities. But it looks like this Mereen thing is gonna be a while. I still think Varys is gonna use Illyrio to get Jorah back in her good graces, not sure how though.

Arya/Brienne/The Hound
-Fuuuuck, this was the most frustrating part for me. Hated seeing The Hound go, and hated that Arya bailed on Brienne, though it makes sense why she wouldn't trust her. Great fight between her and the Hound, but really didn't want him to die. Thought he and Brienne would both make good people for Arya to learn how to fight from. As much as it sucks, it is exciting to see her on her way to Braavos. Does she continue her lessons there? Find Syrio who I'm hoping is still alive? Or does she go a step further and learn how to be a Faceless Man??
-What does Brienne do now? I assume she'll keep searching for Arya in the area before figuring out it's a lost cause. Does she continue to The Eyrie and find Sansa? Find Arya's path and follow her to Braavos??

Things not mentioned in this episode
-What the farg is going on with the Greyjoys? They've basically disappeared
-Sansa/Littlefinger, I wonder what their next move is gonna be. I think he's gotta make a major play now that Tywin is dead and Varys isn't around to sabotage him at all. Still think it's interesting that Varys told Lady Olenna that Littlefinger was extremely dangerous, and now they're allied with him.
-No mention of the Brotherhood Without Banners at all this season. Kinda sucks, I thought Thoros and his ability to bring Beric back from the dead was gonna have a bigger role in the story, but maybe there will be more to come next season...
-Didn't think we'd get any of Dorne this season, but I assume next season they're gonna be heavy players, pissed off about Oberyn's death. Should be interesting...

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Munson on June 16, 2014, 12:18:34 AM
I'll skip the epilogue then, just in case. They've shown that they're not afraid to move entire storylines around, so who knows, it's the end of book 3 but they could do it in Season 6 for all we know. As for Bran...she said the character comes up way before the end of book 3, so do you think they're just cutting the character out??

Final thoughts for this episode/season/future:

Kings Landing
-What the hell is going on with Cersei and Jaime? I was afraid her seducing him would make him an icehole again, but then he helps Tyrion escape. Hmm...and what the farg is the play with The Mountain? Let the big mother farger die. He doesn't need to be alive, let alone more powerful like Qyburn.
-Tyrion escaping was goddamn awesome. I was hoping it would happen, but wasn't sure. And, of course, happy he got to take out Tywin. Though it seems to have thrown a big ass wrench in the plans of Varys, who seemed like he was about to go back to the Red Keep until he heard the bells rigning, and at that point knew Tyrion farged shtein up. So I assume he's taking Tyrion over to Illyrio in Pentos, and is now bailing on Kings Landing and Westeros and is going to go into full-on help Dany mode. Does this mean he gets Tyrion in good with Dany? Does Jorah find his way to Illyrio as well? Tyrion's journey is so interesting now, especially with Varys on board.
-As soon as Tyrion opened the door and Tywin was sitting there, I said "kill him" out loud. So happy that farger finally got what was coming to him. Revenge for Robb Stark, revenge for Tyrion's entire life, revenge for Oberyn..yay
-No idea what his death means for Kings Landing and the reign of Tommen Baratheon. WIthout the rock that was Tywin, I can see Littlefinger making his move from the Vale, the Tyrells attempting to press their power, Dorne is gonna be pissed about Oberyn and I think they end up rebelling.

The Wall
-I figured Stannis would eventually get to the Wall, didn't think he'd show up on the other side of it. Pretty awesome. Is he going to convince Mance to join him in defending the Wall against the White Walkers? They obviously are too stubborn to bend the knee to Stannis and join the realm. Not sure if that's going to change.
-No mention of whether or not Alliser Thorne is still alive, but I assume he is. But I imagine Jon will be elected Lord Commander soon.

North of the Wall
-Holy shtein that scene straight outta Evil Dead was crazy. But farg yeah, the Children of the Forest! Pretty happy they're still around. But who's the old dude? Another one of the Children? Just the three eyed raven in human form? One of hte actual "Old Gods"?? So many questions on that storyline...But Jojen :(. Kinda sad to see him go, though I think the show never did a great job fleshing him out.

Dany
-Her story has never bored me as much in the show as it has reading it in the books, but it's definitely slowing down now. Feel bad for the Dragons getting chained up though, sucks. Not sure what the hell she's gonna do. I assumed once she got Mereen, she'd move on relatively quickly to taking on the Dothraki and then eventually moving onto the Free Cities. But it looks like this Mereen thing is gonna be a while. I still think Varys is gonna use Illyrio to get Jorah back in her good graces, not sure how though.

Arya/Brienne/The Hound
-Fuuuuck, this was the most frustrating part for me. Hated seeing The Hound go, and hated that Arya bailed on Brienne, though it makes sense why she wouldn't trust her. Great fight between her and the Hound, but really didn't want him to die. Thought he and Brienne would both make good people for Arya to learn how to fight from. As much as it sucks, it is exciting to see her on her way to Braavos. Does she continue her lessons there? Find Syrio who I'm hoping is still alive? Or does she go a step further and learn how to be a Faceless Man??
-What does Brienne do now? I assume she'll keep searching for Arya in the area before figuring out it's a lost cause. Does she continue to The Eyrie and find Sansa? Find Arya's path and follow her to Braavos??

Things not mentioned in this episode
-What the farg is going on with the Greyjoys? They've basically disappeared
-Sansa/Littlefinger, I wonder what their next move is gonna be. I think he's gotta make a major play now that Tywin is dead and Varys isn't around to sabotage him at all. Still think it's interesting that Varys told Lady Olenna that Littlefinger was extremely dangerous, and now they're allied with him.
-No mention of the Brotherhood Without Banners at all this season. Kinda sucks, I thought Thoros and his ability to bring Beric back from the dead was gonna have a bigger role in the story, but maybe there will be more to come next season...
-Didn't think we'd get any of Dorne this season, but I assume next season they're gonna be heavy players, pissed off about Oberyn's death. Should be interesting...

Oh, I know who you're talking about with Bran now.  Yeah, definitely out.  Skipping the Epilogue might be problematic because the character I'm referencing shows up after that...it's also tough to tell you where to read because with Jon's stuff, for example, we're not even through all of the 3rd book yet, whereas with Sansa/Bran, we're through all of their material.

QB Eagles

Due to the way the scene was filmed, there seems to be a lot of confusion about where Arya is going. Although the ship captain tells her they are planning to sail for Braavos, she asked to be taken to the North before using the coin. The ship is shown going parallel to the coast, North seemingly. When Jaqen gave her the coin, he only said it would be useful to find him, not that it would get Braavosi to do whatever she wants.

Legendz, are you saying we're already through the 4th and 5th books of material for Bran and Sansa? I guess the show would have to start making stuff up, or otherwise the next time we'll see Bran the actor will be 20 years old.

I noticed that that Old God dude told Bran that he would fly shortly after a scene where it was reported that Drogon flew away from Dany...

Due to how slowly they showed Tyrion approaching the stairs, I really thought that Jaime was betraying Tyrion at the end there, out of love for Cersei. Though I'm not really sure how you can betray someone who is about to be killed anyway. Like with the Arya scene, I'm not sure if that was intentional, or just poor direction of a scene where we are supposed to realize that Tyrion plans to kill Tywin. The "knock on the door and Varys will be there" instructions reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3ozLROB32K0?version=3&hl=en_US

smeags

not sure anyone can tell for sure where the ship is going with arya. it was still pulling out of the port so of course its going along the coast but when she went to the front of the boat the view they showed to close the scene was away.

Munson

Definitely going to Braavos, IMO. She gave him the coin, which is used to find Jaqan, right after he mentioned he was going to Braavos. Not to mention she's talked about wanting to go there a lot.

SD

Good episode, not the best though. I can think of 5 off the top of my head that were better. Thought the ending with Arya was weak. The Tyrion scene was obviously awesome, especially on Fathers day.

rjs246

Jesus christ look at all of those words that Munson typed.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

i gotta agree with SD, def been better episodes. the arya scene should not have ended the season. should've ended with tyrion.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 16, 2014, 05:54:47 AM
Legendz, are you saying we're already through the 4th and 5th books of material for Bran and Sansa? I guess the show would have to start making stuff up, or otherwise the next time we'll see Bran the actor will be 20 years old.

Most of it, yes.  The timeline from the book is not in sync with the show right now.  Some characters have burned through almost all of their stories and some have tons left.

Regarding your comment about the direction with Tywin and all of that (also the scene with Shae), this is a book comparison, not a spoiler but I think that is one of the things that hit harder in the books for the following reason:

[spoiler]Jaime, when freeing Tyrion, tells him that it was a debt that was owed, and then gets into the whole Tysha thing (Tyrion's first wife) and how Tywin made Jaime lie about it when Jaime was 17 or whatever he was.  Tyrion feels so betrayed by that that he tells Jaime he murdered Joffrey and Cersei has been having affairs.  So, to put it mildly, they do not part on amicable terms in the book, despite Jaime rescuing him and trying to do right by telling him what happened years ago.  THAT is what sends Tyrion up to Tywin, not some seemingly random moment where he's angry.  Then he finds Shae in bed -- again, a little more problematic in the show because Shae in the books is shown as a whore who never loved Tyrion (for the most part), whereas here it seemed an abrupt change to me after everything she's done for him.  Tyrion has been whitewashed a bit though in the show and it was still somewhat apparent there.  In the books he murders her out of cold blood, not because she had a knife.  Then the scene with Tywin unfolded similarly except it was all about Tysha, not Shae.

I think it is not a huge difference because they streamline things for the show, but the motivations are much clearer in the book for Tyrion to head up there.  Additionally, it's clear(er) in the book that Tyrion is just a completely broken person at this point because he feels Jaime betrayed him as well, and Varys is only helping because Jaime forces him, so Tyrion really has no one.  In the books it's a lighter feel, as he and Jaime part on a really uplifting note and Varys is shown to be his ally.  I'm not sure the ripple effects all that might have but there's the main difference.

Also the last scene in book3 (before the jarring Epilogue I referenced to Munson) is Littlefinger pushing Lysa Arryn.[/spoiler]

None of that should be spoilery, just how the book kept the broad strokes the same but changed a few things.