Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 04:29:34 PM
Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 03, 2014, 04:23:20 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 01:18:39 PM
Yeah could be that they open next season with that. There are still two battles at the wall from the book and I doubt they'll spend both episodes on that.

The next episode is entirely the Wall.  The raiding party that hit Mole's Town and Mance's large army north of the wall are converging simultaneously.

You may be right but that's definitely not how it happens in the book. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Do not read if you haven't read the books.

[spoiler]yes they pretty severely alter the timeline with Jon.  Ygritte is dead way before this.  I read Jon VII-XI in ASOS is basically all happening at once to do one focused battle as opposed to how it's portrayed in the books[/spoiler]

rjs246

I could be wrong but [spoiler]I thought Ygritte died during the raiding party's attack from the south.[/spoiler]

Otherwise you're completely right (might be right on that point too). They've changed Jon's storyline way more than anything else in the series.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

[spoiler]You are not wrong.  That is when she died.[/spoiler]
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 03, 2014, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 08:53:09 AM
I don't think it was totally an overt reference to the Mountain. I think the point is that everyone has a role to play and they play it, sometimes regardless of any clear motivation or logic or reason.

Why is Tyrion driven to try to fit in to and make sense of a world that is designed to beat him down? Why is Jamie, who clearly has a moral compass, driven to do wholly immoral things by lust for his sister? Why does Baelish do anything that he does? Why are all of the Starks so farging stubborn and prideful and incapable of recognizing deception? And, of course, why is the mountain the way he is? Why did he push his brother's face into a fire? Why does he get pleasure out of raping and killing?

The answer is that it doesn't matter why. It just is. Trying to make sense of madness and chaos is a huge part of Tyrion's intelligence and a big reason that his character is so beloved. I think the conversation was just more of him trying to understand something that can't really be satisfactorily explained. He didn't commit a crime, but he's about to die for it anyway, so he's having a philosophical sad trying to wrap his head around the way the world is, but there's no good answer. Sometimes idiots just smash bugs because that's what they do.

This is a good post IMO
Wrong, too many words.. SMASH. SMASH.SMASH
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on June 03, 2014, 04:40:20 PM
I don't think it was totally an overt reference to the Mountain. I think the point is that everyone has a role to play and they play it, sometimes regardless of any clear motivation or logic or reason.

Why is Tyrion driven to try to fit in to and make sense of a world that is designed to beat him down? Why is Jamie, who clearly has a moral compass, driven to do wholly immoral things by lust for his sister? Why does Baelish do anything that he does? Why are all of the Starks so farging stubborn and prideful and incapable of recognizing deception? And, of course, why is the mountain the way he is? Why did he push his brother's face into a fire? Why does he get pleasure out of raping and killing?

The answer is that it doesn't matter why. It just is. Trying to make sense of madness and chaos is a huge part of Tyrion's intelligence and a big reason that his character is so beloved. I think the conversation was just more of him trying to understand something that can't really be satisfactorily explained. He didn't commit a crime, but he's about to die for it anyway, so he's having a philosophical sad trying to wrap his head around the way the world is, but there's no good answer. Sometimes idiots just smash bugs because that's what they do.

This is a good post IMO

This is a good post IMO.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on June 03, 2014, 04:40:20 PM

This is a good post IMO

This is a good post IMO.
[spoiler]Shut it You...[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Just kidding.  Great synopsis of Tyrions struggle[/spoiler]

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: rjs246 on June 03, 2014, 04:38:55 PM
I could be wrong but [spoiler]I thought Ygritte died during the raiding party's attack from the south.[/spoiler]

Otherwise you're completely right (might be right on that point too). They've changed Jon's storyline way more than anything else in the series.

[spoiler]no, you're right - I meant that the raiding party happened before the big attack and that she was dead before the big attack.  By combining them in the show it'll all go down at once (or in one episode anyway)[/spoiler]

Eagles_Legendz

Casting/audition news for season 5

[spoiler]There's an audition tape on vine that I think has since been taken down, which I saw, that has the actress who played Alex on Lost reading for Obara Sand.  In her audition she conveys the information that Jaime has been smuggled into Dorne.[/spoiler]

???

smeags

dammit why did i read that !
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Yeti

"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Munson

lol the only thing different about that bar's reaction from mine is instead of cheering how awesome the show was I just sat there in silence and disgust and anger for about 20 minutes.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

hbionic

lol at the first video.

Just got around to watching this past episode.

I still have faint hope the gods will save Tyrion.

Don't spoil it for me...but...hope is all I have left.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagaholic

Eagaholic

The Orson story is obviously symbolic and the utility of symbology is that is can have many levels of meaning, not just a 1:1 analogy. My sense is that this goes to the crux of the whole ASOIAF story, and on one level Orson is a transposition of the nihilistic wights who, like Orson with his beetles, will relentlessly come to smash the humans, and not just because they happen to be there but will go out of their way to come after humans until they all are destroyed.

Tyrion reported being filled with dread from watching Orson to the point of having nightmares and waking in a cold sweat, so I could see this as premonition or foreshadowing. It also highlights what  has never been adequately addressed - the question of the white walkers and why they do what they do. It is it just their nature or are humans a natural enemy, or like in the religion of R'hllor are they agents of the dark lord?

This is probably as philosophical as I've seen the story get but I like it. It points toward the underlying meaning of the story.

One common thread GRRM has used throughout, is how something/someone seemingly bad has a good side that become revealed or redeemed. If the world really has degenerated into a steaming pile of corruption, nihilism could serve a positive purpose of having the near total destruction from a great war turn out to be what the world needs to be reborn and start anew. Martin seems warped enough (or maybe pragmatic enough) to offer this view.