Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

It's basically functioning like a parallel universe to me.  I'm almost capable of picking and choosing things from both now which I prefer - like Dorne for example, where I will just pretend like the shows version of it doesn't exist (you know they farged it up when two of my very favorite characters being there aren't enough to make me look forward to it).

smeags

you'd think the dorne storyline gets some good time this week. its pretty much been on the back burner the whole season minus a handful of scenes.

wondering how the ramsey plot is going to play out. taking 20 men with him to attack stannis. guess it may be some type of westeros ninja deal ?
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

That was one of the best episodes of the series

Half way through this season I didn't like where they were going...the story lines...the characters...the acting...these last two episodes have knocked it out of the park

Seabiscuit36

I watched it twice, that hasn't happened since Blackwater.  Probably going in for thirds before Sunday. 

My guess, Tommen is dead or imprisoned by the uncle.  No way would he not react to his mother being taken.  And I'm not sure where the Ser Jorah plot is going.  How quick does the infection occur, and what's his endgame. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

smeags

do the stonemen have some way to kill white walkers ? not sure if it was mentioned in the books to this point or not.

phattymatty

why was jon snow's sword able to whack that dude? i thought only that glass shtein could do it.

Eagles_Legendz

His sword was given to him by the former lord commander of the night's watch and its Valyrian Steel.  There are only a few in existence (Jaime gave his to Brienne, Joffrey had one, Sam Tarly's dad has one etc).  Valyrian steel can apparently kill white walkers as well.

phattymatty

ah ok, i remember that now.

i've obviously never read the books but to me this whole series comes down to a showdown between the dragons and zombies.

Eagles_Legendz

Series is called a Song of Ice and Fire so I think on one level that's a fair interpretation of it.

I think both the books and the show begin with the white walkers killing a few night's watch people as a way to remind everyone that while all of these families are fighting there is an apocalyptic threat looming.  I don't think these are standard zombies (the things brought back to life are, but what is controlling them isn't), but it's def an army of undead. 

Some people have said it would be boring to see all of these families unite to fight evil or whatever since that goes against the morally grey center of the show...I do think that's an oversimplification of what will happen.  I doubt all of these families will ever get on the same page and that seems too clean cut for GRRM, but it does def seem like it'll be white walkers against some human faction.

Eagles_Legendz

And this is a reiteration of what Greenwald said on Grantland but I hope they keep developing a quasi-personality for the Night's King.  Makes for a more interesting villain than if he's just an incarnation of evil.  I liked his taunting.

Eagles_Legendz

Also - kind of crazy how far Jon has jumped this season in my feelings towards characters.  Normally I don't like standard good guy protagonist, and he's bored me in the past on the show, but the writing + acting by Harington this year has been excellent.

smeags

dany saying she is going to break the wheel is going to have significance down the road i think.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 03, 2015, 11:10:52 AM
Also - kind of crazy how far Jon has jumped this season in my feelings towards characters.  Normally I don't like standard good guy protagonist, and he's bored me in the past on the show, but the writing + acting by Harington this year has been excellent.

I'm on the same page as you. Didn't really care for his acting prior to this season (although his fighting has always been good), but he's been a real highlight of the season.

Quote from: smeags on June 03, 2015, 09:15:29 AM
do the stonemen have some way to kill white walkers ?

Some people think the Stonemen are in fact another type of Walker or wight, so they would be on the same side. It's just speculation.

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on June 03, 2015, 10:54:19 AM
His sword was given to him by the former lord commander of the night's watch and its Valyrian Steel.  There are only a few in existence (Jaime gave his to Brienne, Joffrey had one, Sam Tarly's dad has one etc).  Valyrian steel can apparently kill white walkers as well.

My impression is that there is actually quite a bit of Valyrian steel out there, on the order of hundreds of individual blades. Many minor houses have them, and there are even some relatively minor blades like the dagger sent to kill Bran. However, the secret to making it is lost, and it's so prized by its owners that even a family as wealthy as the Lannisters could not find any to purchase.

This is all analogous to pre-1700 Damascus steel in reality. There's plenty of original Damascus out there, but much of it is in museums.

Munson

I've actually enjoyed Jon Snow since Season 3 now. Definitely in Season 4 I started liking the character a lot more. Dude's been a beast so far this season.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

So tonight leaked - clips are online.