Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

BigEd76

yessir

if anyone missed it, here was HOF's HR

and here's the Werth SI article mentioned on the broadcast

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyGirl on August 18, 2010, 10:03:08 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 18, 2010, 10:02:19 PM
They're winning in every way imaginable.

I fully expect Sid Bream to score the winning run next game.

They're playing teh Nationals.

so phils sweep this weekend?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Quote from: SD on August 18, 2010, 12:15:26 PM
2.5 and I'd take the under...I think prop Joe pitches well tonight. Cain is 0-2 with a +7 ERA vs. the Phils.

good call sir.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SunMo

phillies fans are retarded with the curtain calls
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Seabiscuit36

Howard came over to HOF and seemed to tell him to grab his hat and tip the hat next time
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

jimmy hit a three run bomb when the game mattered and drew a visit to the mound (perfect time for a curtain call) and there was a smattering of applause

jerks

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

Quote from: SunMo on August 19, 2010, 09:22:20 AM
phillies fans are retarded with the curtain calls

Are you suggesting that a curtain call for a solo home run that puts a team up by six in the eighth inning isn't appropriate?

PoopyfaceMcGee

A curtain call for a ball hit that far is always appropriate.

PhillyPhreak54

Curtain calls are over-used much like people saying every athlete is great.

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteSavery Picks Up A Bat

Rick Ankiel resurrected his career when he stepped off the mound and grabbed a bat.

Joe Savery could do the same.

Phillies assistant general manager Chuck LaMar said yesterday that Savery will see some time this season as a hitter with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. He also said the Phillies are considering bringing him to the instructional league to hit.

Savery, the team's first-round pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, is 1-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 24 games (16 starts) with the IronPigs. He moved to the bullpen earlier this season, but returned to the rotation because of various injuries and roster moves.

Savery played college baseball at Rice, where he hit .360 with 18 doubles, four home runs and 54 RBIs in 64 games as a senior. He has hit .273 (6-for-22) with one double, one home run and two RBIs this season in limited at-bats with Lehigh Valley.

"We still think of him -- and I still think he thinks of himself -- as a potential Major League starter," LaMar said. "He has struggled as a pitcher and he has shown some promise as a hitter. We knew he had the ability at home plate, but we wanted to let him pitch and let him get to the Triple-A level and see where pitching takes him. So we'll give him the opportunity to hit in a couple games this year, and hopefully, we'll bring him to instructional league and let him continue to swing a bat."

SD

Can't be any worse than Anthony Hewitt

5 tools

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 19, 2010, 11:06:06 AM

"We still think of him -- and I still think he thinks of himself -- as a potential Major League starter," LaMar said.

no.

you dont.

SunMo

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies/Rotation_decisions_make_sense_in_long_run.html

QuoteRotation decisions make sense in long run
When the Phillies announced their rotation for this series against the Giants, several e-mailers wondered why they decided to start Joe Blanton on Wednesday night. The off day on Monday gave them the option of starting Cole Hamels on Wednesday and Roy Halladay on Thursday, both on normal rest. That would have enabled them to pitch Halladay against the playoff-contending Giants instead of the cellar-dwelling Nationals.

But after looking at the rest of the Phillies schedule, it appears as if there was a method to their madness. Instead of looking at the pothole in front of them, they were looking at the overturned turnip truck down the road.

Long story short, keeping the rotation in order through the off day is the easiest way for them to set up Halladay, Hamels and Roy Oswalt to face the Braves in each of the six games they'll play in the last two weeks of the season.

If the Phillies had moved Hamels and Halladay up a day for this series against the Giants, either Blanton or Kyle Kendrick would have ended up facing the Braves in mid-September.

Keep in mind that the Phillies' next off day isn't until Sept. 9. So whatever order they chose for this series is the way it would remain for 24 straight games.

Under their current set-up, here is the likely rotation leading into the Sept. 9 off day and then through the rest of the season.

Sept. 4 - MIL - Halladay (4)
Sept. 5 - MIL - Kendrick (4)
Sept. 6 - FLA - Oswalt and DH spot starter (4)
Sept. 7 - FLA - Blanton (4)
Sept. 8 - FLA - Hamels (4)
Sept. 9 - OFF
Sept. 10 - at NYM - Halladay (5)
Sept. 11 - at NYM - Kendrick (5)
Sept. 12 - at NYM - Oswalt (5)
Sept. 13 - at FLA - Blanton (5)
Sept. 14 - at FLA - Hamels (5)
Sept. 15 - at FLA - Halladay (4)
Sept. 16 - OFF
Sept. 17 - WSH - Oswalt (4)
Sept. 18 - WSH - Kendrick (6)
Sept. 19 - WSH - Blanton (5)
Sept. 20 - ATL - Hamels (5)
Sept. 21 - ATL - Halladay (5)
Sept. 22 - ATL - Oswalt (4)
Sept. 23 - OFF
Sept. 24 - NYM - Blanton (4)
Sept. 25 - NYM - Hamels (4)
Sept. 26 - NYM - Halladay (4)
Sept. 27 - at WSH - Oswalt (4)
Sept. 28 - at WSH - Kendrick (9)
Sept. 29 - at WSH - Blanton (4)
Sept. 30 - OFF
Oct. 1 - at ATL - Halladay (5)
Oct. 2 - at ATL - Hamels (5)
Oct. 3 - at ATL - Oswalt (5)

The key is that Sept. 10 game in New York. Whatever pitcher starts that game will have to start on Sept. 15 against the Marlins (because he'll be the only one on normal rest). And whoever starts that Sept. 15 game against the Marlins will be lined up to face the Braves, regardless of how the Phillies utilize the off day on Sept. 16.

Under the current set-up, Halladay is on track to start that Sept. 10 game in New York. Therefore, he is set up to be in the driver's seat for the stretch run.

But if the Phillies would have moved Hamels and Halladay up a day to face the Giants, Blanton would have been the pitcher starting that Sept. 10 game against the Mets. The only other option would be Kendrick, since he is the only other pitcher besides Blanton who would be on normal rest.

That means Blanton or Kendrick would be the only two pitchers who could start on full rest against the Marlins on Sept. 15. And because the Phillies would need five starters the following week, because they play six straight games without a day off, Kendrick or Blanton would have to pitch one of those games against the Braves.

Sept. 4 - MIL - Blanton (4)
Sept. 5 - MIL - Kendrick (4)
Sept. 6 - FLA - Oswalt and DH spot starter (4)
Sept. 7 - FLA - Hamels (4)
Sept. 8 - FLA - Halladay (4)
Sept. 9 - OFF
Sept. 10 - at NYM - Blanton or Kendrick
Sept. 11 - at NYM -
Sept. 12 - at NYM -
Sept. 13 - at FLA -
Sept. 14 - at FLA -
Sept. 15 - at FLA - Blanton or Kendrick
Sept. 16 - OFF
Sept. 17 - WSH -
Sept. 18 - WSH -
Sept. 19 - WSH -
Sept. 20 - ATL - Blanton or Kendrick on Normal Rest
Sept. 21 - ATL -
Sept. 22 - ATL -

Under the current order:

Neither Halladay nor Hamels will face the Nationals at all in September.

All six games against the Braves will be started by Halladay, Hamels or Oswalt. And in five of those games the starter will be working with an extra day of rest.

Kendrick will face the Mets (3.00 ERA in 7 career games against them) instead of the Marlins (5.48 ERA in 12 career games against them) in September.

The Phillies will have flexibility to use their final off day before the final series of the season to put Halladay/Hamels/Oswalt in pretty much any order they choose, or have them each pitching on an extra day of rest.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.